On Feb 1, 2007, at 16:07, Brenda Paternoster wrote:

I'd call that a lock stitch, not a false plait. Just another lacemaking technique that has more than one name.

The "false plait" is not my term; it's Burkhard's. I did say it's not a false plait as most of us understand the term. But it isn't a "lock stitch" (or "fixing stitch", as I've also heard it called), either. A lock stitch consists of 3 consecutive half stitches. But their direction is, essentially, downwards, because it's like a shortened plait. What happens in Burkhard's interpretation of horizontal bars is a squence of 2 half stitches -- a plain, vanilla, whole stitch ([T]CTCT). Which looks pretty much the same, whether you look at it vertically or horizontally.

Jean Leader and I both think that the drawing which shows the impossible -- a *horizontal* sequence of 3 half stitches (ie a "sideways" short-plait) made with pairs coming from opposite directions -- is, probably, a "graphic typo" :)

Yours, plodding along with the Le Pompe I, p 17, B. On the pillow: still less than half a repeat. But, in the sketch-book, about a quarter is diagrammed thread-by-thread, and about 3/4th pair-by pair, including the triple-loop concoction. To be tested out tomorrow and adjusted, if necessary. The thread-by thread diagrams can be made later, once I know whether the solutions work. They take much longer to draw, with all the over/under and much longer to correct, while pair-by-pair are sufficient "notes" which can be transcribed into the full-blown version later.
--
Tamara P Duvall                            http://t-n-lace.net/