On Jan 30, 2007, at 9:51, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Orla) wrote:

I'm really interested in seeing
how you guys are doing this pattern without sewings since when I
started working on this project about a year ago I didn't have a clue
on how these verticals were done.

Not sure which specific "verticals" you mean but, in short, pairs travel from one section of the lace to the next and connect, same as they would to an ordinary sewing footside (where a pair from the main body of work goes through the footside passive/s, then through the "worker-in-waiting", then rests for a spell). Sometimes -- in fact quite often-- you have to "trade" a worker for a passive, or vice-versa. But those are techniques quite common in many later laces as well -- Freehand, Flanders, Milanese -- to name just a few (that I'm more familiar with).

No sewings and no added/removed pairs. The lace is truly continuous, almost to the point of being monotonous :)

The *real* "trick-cycling" in that paricular pattern is the *horizontal* line separating the "crooked x-s" on the l.h. side, which looks like a plait. That one, I never would have believed to be possible to make without sewings. But Burkhard "unlocked" that one too. And I tried it today *and it WORKS*. "Christmas in (almost) February" doesn't begin to describe this particular bit of excitement :)

I'd love to find a different way of doing those verticals since they
appear in several Le Pompe patterns.  However since I only have 3
repeats left on this hankie it's a change that will have to appear in
future pieces.

No, changing at this point would be silly. But, in the future... Why not?

I'l try to get this pattern into the next (April) Bulletin. But, the cut-off date for submissions is Feb 15 so, any snags appear between today and then and I'm not gonna make it. In which case, look for it in the August issue.
--
Tamara P Duvall                            http://t-n-lace.net/