Lionel Carter wrote
>This is  a case where rather than read round in circles one is tempted
>to suck it and see but in this case the results could be rather
>traumatic. I've decided to stay well away from those buttons until the
>semantics is clear.

Suck it and see is the very best way to learn!  There are many
opportunities in Legacy for achieving similar results in slightly
different way and on the whole none of them are right or wrong - it's
your choice.  No one else can tell you whether you will prefer this way
or that, whether you will like this out put or that.  You have to try
out all the options and make your decisions.

You have two choices to start with:  either you can work with the Sample
file so helpfully provided by Legacy, or if you prefer that to remain
exactly as it is, create a Test file of your own - the latter is my
preferred option.

I started by adding a few people and a few sources and then pressed all
the buttons to see what happened.  When I read about someone having
problems with a third wife married to her cousin's 2nd husband's brother
I can add a few more people to my test file to create exactly that
set-up and see if I have the problem too. Sometimes someone will say
"did you know that you can ...?" or "have you ever looked at ...?" and I
can go off and have a play with my test family file.  I've learned so
much that way.
--
Jenny M Benson