On 6/26/05 7:43 AM, "Alex da Franca" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> anyone ever saw the printed manuals, which were
> sold ? have they ever been finished ?
> are they in the same style, the documentation used to be ?

Hi Alex,

I have the Director Scripting Reference. This is a two-volume work with over
1000 pages in all.  Entries are divided into sections:

 Constants
 Events and Messages
 Methods
 Operators
 --
 Properties

This means that the entries for (say) "return..." are scattered all over the
book:

 RETURN (constant)             page 156
 return <someValue> (keyword)  page 223
 returnToTitle (DVD method)    page 506

Properties are on their own in volume 2.

For entries like 'image', where the property and the method are closely
related, this is somewhat confusing.  The entry for 'ilk', which produces
similar results either as a property or a method, appears twice... both
times as a method, but divided into 3D and non-3D entries.

This arrangement assumes (a) that the user knows what type of item a given
entry is, and (b) that the entries are correctly categorized.
Unfortunately, this is not always the case.  For example, the method
getBoneID() is in the properties volume, whereas 'the result' is given as a
method.

As a result of this re-(dis)-organization, I find that I use the DMX 2004
printed documentation very little.

Cheers,

James