On 6/26/05 6:37 PM, "Thomas Higgins" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> it was a thought out process by our docs team that was to arrange the
> entries by object as opposed to by alpha.

Hi Tom,

But the DMX 2004 Lingo *Dictionary* is *not* arranged by object...

[+]
As far as I recall, there always has been a "Lingo by Feature" section.  In
the DMX 2004 documentation, this has been remodelled into four chapters:

 Director Core Objects
 Media Types
 Scripting Objects
 3D Objects

In each of these chapters, you find a Method Summary and a Property Summary
for each object.

I like that arrangement.  I find it useful.  It puts items that are used
together on the same page.  The DMX treatment is more comprehensive than in
earlier versions, and I applaud that.

If the complete entries for each item had been placed with the summaries, I
would have found that very helpful for beginners (of all ages and skill
levels).  Darrel Plant's Lingo Reference for Director 4, 5 and 6 was
organised in that way, and I found that stimulating when I was learning
Lingo.

[-]
I find it <understatement> less helpful </understatement> that the
Dictionary itself has been split up into:

 Constants
 Events and Messages
 Methods
 Operators
 Properties

Such distinctions are useful when thinking about the abstract structure of a
language (as a docs team might) but not when thinking about practicalities
of programming (as an Director developer must).

Here's my recommendation for the Director 11 docs:

Either

* Create a continuous alphabetical listing and identify the type of
  item clearly (i.e. revert to the DMX and earlier layout)

or

* Arrange full entries (not just the summaries) by object.  This
  would imply multiple entries for items that are used with more
  than one object (e.g. directToStage), but if each is accompanied
  by an object-specific example, that would be great.

  Since the index will provide a continuous alphabetical listing
  in any case, this would appear to me to be the more satisfactory
  solution.

Thanks for listening,

James