All,

> This arrangement assumes (a) that the user knows what type of
> item a given entry is ...

Yes, the idea was to arrange things by object to allow "easier"
navigating once you knew that "I'm working with a <insert object here>
and I want to know all it's properties" for example. I'm of the type
that I generally know the property, function or method name and just
want to know its details, so this new arrangement doesn't work so well
for me as I'd find it quicker in a by-alpha arrangement (and I suspect a
few users already familiar with the language feel the same). But it was
a thought out process by our docs team that was to arrange the entries
by object as opposed to by alpha. While I agree that this isn't the best
arrangement for all users (myself included), I can also see it being
helpful to some, like newer users working with the various objects
(members, sprites, images, etc.) along the way and wanting to find
information about that object grouped in one area instead of having to
hunt around and flip to various places in the by-alpha book.

As far as the lack of in-box manuals, this was a company-wide decision
that affected all products and is in no way Director-specific.

Cheers,
Tom Higgins - Technical Product Manager
Macromedia Director and the Shockwave Player
http://www.markme.com/thiggins/