At 13:56 17.09.2004 -0400, you wrote:
Another consideration is to make absolutely sure that, regardless of how the presentation exits, the desktop environment is always restored.

So what option will you leave a user with if s/he managed to crash your app before it had a chance to reset the screen?

I've seen the day when I thought my setup was save but it was not in an environment of restricted user rights (prohibiting the user to change the screen res though my app could, ahhh, windows) and the user chose to quit my projector with ctrl/alt/del, no way to stop him on NT4. My app had a file with the prior settings before change, but of course that was refreshed when the user started my app for a second time. In the end he had to call the sysads to reset his screen resolution.

daniel