Daniel,

I would say that adhearing to "make absolutely sure that ..." meant just that. If you can't ensure such then don't ;-)

On MX04 my tests so far caught such in "on closeRequest." Additionally, one xtra (Andrade Arts Resolution xtra) has an automatic reset on shutdown, clearing global object, etc. I would hope that users of other xtras demand such of the xtra authors to ensure responsible use. I've been making the point to xtra authors before I include their xtra as a choice in the dedicated stub creation app I'm working on. If failure is catastrophic (system crash), then the desktop environment is reset on restart by the OS because the desktop xtras are doing temporary resets (and if any specific xtra does not stick to temporary settings then it should not be used).

As I mentioned before, Director does not facilitate the type of view selections that Acrobat does, so if such is needed one must work with the techniques at hand. If one does intend to manipulate the desktop environment, though, then one should do so in a responsible manner. In broad-brush terms that means the viewer should have veto power, and if allowed should make absolutely sure that, regardless of how the presentation exits, the desktop environment is always restored. After all, we both know that works that cause, or have the likely potential of causing, the viewer aggravation are not going to be well received. Like everything else in life, it's a balance.

I've only been testing on Win XP so far with the app, but when I get my G5 in the new year I be fully testing the app there also. I'm already allowing for distinctions in what the xtras say they will do on a respective platform.

Lee C