----- Original Message -----
From: "Stephen Ingrum" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> First of all, I generally agree with you. But, there are ways to make it
> work.

I know, which is why I feel it is important to get the point across to the
casual developers out there who might not weigh up the pros & cons properly,
exactly how much of a Bad Thing this is.

> Have you noticed that the Macromedia Shockwave games (Lemonade Tycoon 2)
> reset your video?

Yes, and this is probably why so many corporate/goverment sysadmins will not
allow Shockwave installation on their networks: anyone can mark an Xtra as
Shockwave safe, even if it clearly breaks the secure sandbox model.
Macromedia could do with adding another level of security for Xtras signed &
verified by Macromedia (at additional cost to any 3rd party Xtra developer).

The actual costs involved in this would probably be quite high, but this
wouldn't matter, as Xtras signed using the current self-certification system
would be good enough for most purposes. This would though, allow sysadmins
to prevent self-signed Xtras from running on their network, which would most
likely improve overall adoption of the player itself, even if certain
3rd-party Xtras can't be installed in those environments that would
otherwise not have Shockwave at all.

Note: For this to be completely effective, Macromedia would probably have to
publish a complete list of approved 3rd party Xtras with each player
release, and create a minor sub-revision release whenever that list changes.
That would allow for compliance with some of the ultra-strict certification
requirements that some bodies have where each application/plugin has to be
individually tested for compliance. Anything that isn't tested (i.e., the
latest version of Flash) can't be installed until someone gets around to
manually checking it for compliance.

- Robert