Mr. Tweed,

I like the way you base your argument on a convenient snippet (taken in part and out of context), and then use such to righteously challenge a portrayed blasé attitude towards the viewer. I respect your opinion and your full right to get up on a soap box and broadcast it to the world, but not your misconstruing what I said in whole.

Actually, doing so only lessens such an argument in the eyes of those that take the time to read and understand what is being said.

We could go back and forth all day, but the discerning audience already understands the points made so I'm going to get back to something productive.

Hope you're having a nice day  :-)
Lee C

Robert Tweed wrote:

----- Original Message ----- From: "KLGC Studio" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

[ snip: about changing monitor resolutions ]

The key is to be very polite and informative about doing so.

The key is to give an *option* to do so, which the user can choose to ignore. Of course, this doesn't apply to kiosk-type presentation, but an application should never, ever, change any of the user's hardware settings without *asking* the user first, and falling back gracefully if the user has some reason why they don't want this to happen.

Even giving the user such an option should be considered very carefully
before implementing, simply because you never know what sort of idiots might
be looking at your app and if there are enough who would say "yes" to an
option they should have said "no" to then you could have a problem.

Why am I so strict about this? Simply, you can *never* presume to know
enough about the user's environment to know that it is safe to change
resolutions. On a laptop running at 800x600, you may find out that the video
card supports 1024x768, but you may not realise that changing to that
resolution causes the display to switch to a virtual desktop mode. On a CRT,
the video card may support the resolution and the monitor may *think* that
it can support the refresh rate, but as soon as you switch the user is
looking at a dead monitor because the refresh rate is unsupported. In the
worst case scenario, this can cause physical damage to the monitor, although
I have never seen this happen, so I think it only applies to very old ones.

- Robert