Why am I so strict about this? Simply, you can *never* presume to know
enough about the user's environment to know that it is safe to change
resolutions. On a laptop running at 800x600, you may find out that the video
card supports 1024x768, but you may not realise that changing to that
resolution causes the display to switch to a virtual desktop mode. On a CRT,
the video card may support the resolution and the monitor may *think* that
it can support the refresh rate, but as soon as you switch the user is
looking at a dead monitor because the refresh rate is unsupported. In the
worst case scenario, this can cause physical damage to the monitor, although
I have never seen this happen, so I think it only applies to very old ones.

- Robert

And You should NEVER presume that you know my project better than I do.

If the Client wants to reset the laptop resolution of those 50 sales-people to 800x600, that is the Client's right to pay me to implement. it might even make sense.

If you wanna get all UI-Nazi about it, you should never presume to develop an interface without plenty of wire-frame target audience testing, no design work should be done until the workflow, use case, and IA is done, etc. You MUST have frequent evaluation of the development with your target audience, etc. etc.

I could look through a straw at whatever my current project is and through out a bunch of meaningless advice and absolutes, too. And then change them when I look at the next project. And a again on the next.

If you think there are absolutes, you're either naively assuming everyone else is doing the same sort of projects you're doing (right now), or you are just a dangerous ideologue.

*shrug*

roymeo

Roy Crisman
Macromedia Director Programmer, Lingo Guru, Multimedia Producer
Greater Rochester Macromedia User Group (GRMMUG.org) Coordinator
277 N. Goodman St.
Rochester, NY 14607-1162
(585)473-3492 home
(585)615-2873 cell