On Tuesday, 21 May 2019 12:14:27 AEST Karl Auer wrote:

> The idea that human have a "reasonable track record" is laughable - they kill
> and maim tens of thousands of each other each year.

The absolute number is pretty meaningless.  The number of accidents per
vehicle-Km would be better, and even that varies according to the type of
journey (expressways, suburban, rural, etc), type of accident, and other
factors.

> If machines had the same track record, we wouldn't let them any where near
> the roads. In fact they have a much better track record, and we still don't
> let them drive.

I dispute that.  We have no idea what the failure-rate would be if all vehicles
had Tesla-type technology.

David L.