On 29/05/2019 9:59 PM, Stephen Loosley wrote:
“It’s incredibly nearsighted. It doesn’t appear to react to brake lights or
turn signals, it can’t anticipate what other drivers will do, and as a result,
you constantly have to be one step ahead of it.”

Yikes.

A Tesla spokesperson retaliated and said: “Navigate on Autopilot is based on
map data, fleet data, and data from the vehicle’s sensors. However, it is the
driver’s responsibility to remain in control of the car at all times, including
safely executing lane changes.”

Sounds like this is a transition stage. IF (before the planet succumbs and driving is an "old world" problem) we live long enough (which I won't) to see the entire driving fleet change to these auto sensors on the same frequencies I might add, then this autodrive stuff might be useful in terms of movement. I get the use of cameras to assist (brilliant safety addition, better than the beeps) and near contact avoidance systems (slowing down the vehicle before a crash), but I'm not expecting this to be a smooth transition because of the sunk capital in the existing vehicle fleet. More likely to get the electric/hybrid conversion because that is internal to the vehicle. Complete ecosystems are very difficult to change.

Jan

--
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
jw...@janwhitaker.com

Sooner or later, I hate to break it to you, you're gonna die, so how do you
fill in the space between here and there? It's yours. Seize your space.
~Margaret Atwood, writer