It will build, but I *strongly* recommend doing the ./configure
somewhere else, specifying the USS platform as a command line option,
and then transferring the resulting source to USS for compilation. There
is a lot of munging that happens in the configure step that uses stuff
that USS make doesn't grok. There are also still a few lingering
ASCII/EBCDIC conversion bugs that I haven't had time to track down.

Also, take a look at the OpenCryptki mods that IBM did to allow OpenSSL
to use the PCI crypto cards. There is a *dramatic* (more than 4x)
improvement in SSL performance if those mods are installed (both on
Linux and z/OS).