Fragile:  All the more reason for IBM to come up with an "official" version.

I only suggested "site submit" and lpr/lpd as stopgap substitutes for the
functionality.  For printing, I can see MANY better alternatives than an NJE
variation.  There's no point to sending the
report to a Linux system when you can print directly to an IP print server.  I'll
leave the issue of forms and fancy formatting as an exercise for the masochistic.  I
supported NPF on zOS here for
some time, and it was a pain in the neck.  The TCPIP addon for VPS is a little better,
but VERY expensive.  There are products that do AFP-to-PCL or Postscript translation,
but they're also expensive
and complicated.

For job submission, there are also many alternatives.  It wouldn't be hard to use the
lpr mechanism to queue site submits, hiding the mechanics from the end user.

When I read back through the original notes though, I got the (belated) impression
that what he REALLY wants here is to send files via SENDFILE/XMIT, mainly because
there's no other cheap/free method
supported on zOS.  (Am I right?)

But in principle, we're in agreement here, near as I can tell.  zOS and zVM should be
trying harder to keep up with the rest of the world now they IBM has supposedly
committed to Open Standards.

If you are not an intended recipient of this e-mail, please notify
the sender, delete it and do not read, act upon, print, disclose,
copy, retain or redistribute it.

Click here for important additional terms relating to this e-mail.
     <http://www.ml.com/email_terms/>