On 2021-03-02, at 11:18:25, Fred Shaheen wrote:

> The ASCII controller was the 7171, developed by Dr. Wehrle's team in the
> Glendale Lab in the 1980's.

I believe that was a successor and embedded the "Yale ASCII" which
was based on an IBM Series 1 minicomputer.  Those provided the
hardware base for IND$FILE and Columbia Kermit, which switched
modes with a valid but improbable sequence of 3278 control
bytes.

I believe the 3174 AEA was different.  But it may have embedded
7171 firmware.

> My car pool buddy at the time, Tom Murphy Jr. (the other Tom Murphy for
> those of you in VM) was the lead
> developer on that box.

> From: Paul Gilmartin
> Date: 03/02/2021 12:07 PM
>
> On 2021-03-02, at 09:38:54, Dave Jones wrote:
>>
>> I wonder how hard it would be for z/VM to emulate, or virtualize, a
>> VT220 type terminal?
>>
> In days of yore, there was a hardware solution.  The 3174(?)
> Asynchronous Emulation Adapter.  I don't remember the configuration
> I tried, but it made an (independent vendor) 3278 behave remarkably
> like a VT-220.

-- gil

http://www2.marist.edu/htbin/wlvindex?LINUX-390