On Wednesday, 03/03/2021 at 02:25 GMT, Peter Oberparleiter
<ober...@linux.ibm.com> wrote:
> 3. Use the ASCII Console as Linux console
>
> - add "console=ttyS1" to kernel parameters in /etc/zipl.conf
> (mind the upper-case S)
> - run zipl + reboot
>
> During boot you should see all Linux console output on the ASCII
> Console.

Is there a way to tell Linux, "Use the ascii console unless there isn't
one, in which case use the 3215 console instead."?

If things have gone south, I'd kinda like to be able to simply attach the
ascii console and have Linux start using it right away without the need to
issue commands (since I can't so anyway because I've lost connectivity).
And for extra credit: when I'm done, simply detaching the console and
having Linux go back to the 3215.

Alan Altmark

Senior Managing z/VM and Linux Consultant
IBM Systems Lab Services
IBM Z Delivery Practice
ibm.com/systems/services/labservices
office: 607.429.3323