There was a product called the Yale IUP and later product version the 7171
Device Attachment Control Unit which "converted" ASCII displays (like the
IBM 3101) into 3270 protocol devices. Later there was the 3174 Controller
with the Asynchronous Emulator Adapter (AEA) which is what I think you are
referring to, and it also emulated 3278 on ASCII.

Jim Elliott
Senior IT Consultant - GlassHouse Systems Inc.