On 01.03.2021 21:26, Davis, Larry (National VM Capability) wrote:
> What are people doing when the local Linux people are wanting ASCII Consoles
> available for  performing reboots or problem resolution
>
> I know I can attach the SYSASCII (HMC ASCII vt220 console) to a Linux image
>
> Does the Linux image need to include "ttys1" in the /etc/zipl.conf file for
> RHEL 7.5 and above?
> console=ttyS1 console=ttyS0

You can specify "console=ttyS1" as additional kernel parameter if you
want to have console output written to the ASCII Console, and also to
use that console as input device for early boot problems (e.g. dracut
rescue shell).

> We tested attaching it to a Running Linux but the device never really worked
> when attached, we probably missed something
>
> Any Suggestions on using this properly?

I just tried this on an RHEL 7.5 z/VM guest and everything seemed to
work without problems.

Some things to try out (requires root privileges):

1. Attach ASCII console to guest from within Linux guest

$ vmcp att sysascii to '*'

2. To check the connection to the ASCII console: open the "Integrated
HMC ASCII Console" task for the z/VM LPAR. Then issue in Linux:

$ echo test > /dev/ttysclp0

The result should be "test" being displayed on the ASCII Console.

3. Use the ASCII Console as Linux console

- add "console=ttyS1" to kernel parameters in /etc/zipl.conf
  (mind the upper-case S)
- run zipl + reboot

During boot you should see all Linux console output on the ASCII
Console. You can also check this connection using the following command:

$ echo test > /dev/console

The "test" message should again be displayed on the ASCII Console.

4. Enable login from the ASCII Console

$ systemctl start serial-getty@ttysclp0.service

When this command completes, there should be a login prompt shown on the
ASCII Console.

You can also check the status of this systemctl unit using:

$ systemctl status serial-getty@ttysclp0.service

Regards,
  Peter Oberparleiter

--