Linux-Misc Digest #34, Volume #19                Sun, 14 Feb 99 20:13:11 EST

Contents:
  Re: Is linux able to handle 2 video cards ? (Marc Britten)
  good kernel 2.2.1 upgrade FAQ ? ("A.G.")
  Re: redhat 5.2 NIC setup problem (Ben Russo)
  Network help!!! ("Aaron Dershem")
  Re: More bad news for NT ("Bobby D. Bryant")
  Re: MS Explorer 4.0 for Unix (Andreas Schyman)
  Re: How do I know which window manager I am using? (Stephe)
  Re: OSS Sound for TP770ED?? (Ben Russo)
  Re: Newbie FTP/Firewall problem... (Robert Barnes)
  Free Linux CD's ("T.J. Weber")
  Re: Netscape not working under RH52/KDE (Ben Russo)
  Re: Bunch of pretentious Wankers (Shaygetz)
  Re: Red Hat novice seeking (elementary?) advice (Stephe)
  Re: Network help!!! (bklimas)
  Re: 3c509/3c509b and SportsterVoice (Jack Hayes)
  ATI 3D Rage IIc - Getting on my tits! ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  graphical performance monitor ("Bill Jones")
  Re: Consumer Poll Says Microsoft Is Good For Consumers (David Masterson)
  Glibc-2.0.112 Problem. (David Taylor)
  Re: /dev/hdc2 has insecure permissions ? (David Taylor)
  Re: Burning MP3s to CD, long file names? (David R. Conrad)
  Re: /usr is busy on shutdown (Juergen Heinzl)
  linux to sgi remote access ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Marc Britten)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: Is linux able to handle 2 video cards ?
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 1999 17:03:46 -0500

says...
> It depends upon your X-server. The commercial x-servers, can sometimes use 4
> cards at the same time. But often you have to buy speciial cards wich no how
> to share interrupts. Like a Matrox millenium. 2 different cards is with some
> servers also possible aslong as they don't conflict with each other.
>
> Raymond

so I take it from this post that standard XFree86 cannot handle this
situation?

I've just ran into that problem my self.  I'm dual booting NT4 and
Linux(redhat 5.2, 2.2.1 kernel, 3.1.2(shipped w/ redhat))

I added a second matrox millennium card, under NT4 this works dandy,
didn't think that X would screw up the way it did...

I'm currently looking into a commercial server however I would like to
find some sort of work around for this(get both cards to work, or at
least get X to work), both cards are PCI...

------------------------------

From: "A.G." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: good kernel 2.2.1 upgrade FAQ ?
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 1999 17:12:35 -0500

Can smbd point me to the subj.?

Thanx

Arcady

------------------------------

From: Ben Russo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: redhat 5.2 NIC setup problem
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 1999 17:47:45 -0500

FireBall wrote:

> I installed 3c509 in redhead 5.2
> but cannot  make it run.  (3c509 delayed initialization during startup.)
>
> I tried 2 methods:
> A. Set the 3c509 at PNP mode.
> 1. pnpdump>/etc/isapnp.conf
> 2. vi the /etc/isapnp.conf (select the correct I/O, and irq)
> 3. run isapnp /etc/isapnp.config
>
> B. in non-PNP mode.
> 1. modify the network setting using "setup" and "linuxconf"
> 2. add option for eth0 "I/O=0x240, irq=9"   (in /etc/conf.modules)
>
> But got same error?
> Please advice any solutions! Thanks.

Read the kernel source for the driver.  It scans a number of I/O ports
in a certain order while trying to find your card.
If this driver runs into anything on an IO port before it finds the
card it can get confused.

I had this problem and I set the card up in NON-PNP mode, then
modified the source for the driver to only search for the hard
configured
settings of the card.

It worked then.

Good Luck.
-Ben.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron Dershem" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Network help!!!
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 1999 16:56:08 -0600

OK, after reading stuff all day and looking all over the web, I'll say it:
I have no freakin' idea what I'm doing!

Could someone out there outline the steps I need to do in order to get my
network card to work?  I downloaded the via-rhine.c file from the Internet
(using my Win98 box :-(  ), but no clue as to what happens next.  Do I have
to compile a new kernel, compile the driver (.c file), or what?

Thanks, I'll be waiting for an answer.

Email me at [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Aaron Dershem

------------------------------

From: "Bobby D. Bryant" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.linux
Subject: Re: More bad news for NT
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 1999 16:43:15 -0600

Matthias Warkus wrote:

> > > Yep.  Cool, eh?  Soon to be released: SQL/Oven, SQL/Toaster and SQL/Blender.
> > > They'll be available as individual packages or in the complete SQL/Kitchen
> > > suite.  The development kits include Pan/SQL, Pot/SQL, and Knife/SQL.  The new
> > > user interface is the Oracle PlaceSetting package.
> >
> > Yeah, you'll be able to ask your oven what temperature you used to re-warm the
> > pizza last time around.
>
> But you'll need to do it with a syntactically correct,
> standards-compliant SQL query or it just won't work.

Yes, gone are the days when you would hire a butler and a maid.  Now it's a sysadmin
and a database manager:

"What's for dinner, darling?"

"I guess we'll have to go out tonight.  I gave Jeeves the day off, and now the oven's
gone and crashed."

Bobby Bryant
Austin, Texas

------------------------------

From: Andreas Schyman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: MS Explorer 4.0 for Unix
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 1999 23:08:17 +0100

> I don't know how it would work under *nix, but under windows, IE5.0 is
> the fastest browser around (Faster than Opera on my machines).  Still,
> I'd be wary about installing any MS package on my Linux box.  Netscape
> has it's problems, but Netscape the company doesn't have any motives for
> harming my system.
>
> Chris

If one really must, it is possible to run IE using WINE in Linux.
Andreas

------------------------------

From: Stephe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: How do I know which window manager I am using?
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 1999 18:54:10 -0500

Norm Dresner wrote:

> Benyang Tang <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in article
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
> > I don't think it is a good decision for RedHat to bundle fvwm2 as the
> > default window manager. It is really hard to configure. For one thing, I
> > spent a long time trying to make that little pager go away. I looked up
> all
> > the how-to, man pages, 2 thick books, etc, and have not succeeded yet.
> The
> > pager always stays on top, forcing my other windows to squeeze to avoid
> it.
> >
> > When I launch netscape, it opens a window larger than the screen, the
> title
> > bar disappearing beyond the monitor and the lower 1/3 being covered by
> the
> > taskbar. So far, things look so stupid.
> >
> > Can anybody recommend a simpler (easier to configure) window manager?

Well I just started playing with this, installed the "window
maker" from the Red hat disk and love it. Easy to config and has
a tool for making your own Icons for the desktop.. Pretty cool..
--

        Stephe

Having fun with Linux!

------------------------------

From: Ben Russo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.portable
Subject: Re: OSS Sound for TP770ED??
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 1999 18:02:38 -0500

Frederick M Periquet wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Has anyone successfully installed oss sound on this thinkpad?
> I tried all the options for csxxx cards but when I look at cat
> /dev/sndstat no driver is listed.
>
> I did install it on my desktop and it found my soundblaster awe64 gold
> with no problems. Even enabled my midi with soundfont. (awesome)
> Using Redhat 5.2
>
> fred

http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/kharker/linux-laptop/

AND

http://peipa.essex.ac.uk/tp-linux/tp-linux.html

These should help.  If you discover any new info, please send
an e-mail to the maintainer of those web sites.

------------------------------

From: Robert Barnes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Newbie FTP/Firewall problem...
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 1999 19:01:04 +0000

Did you remember to allow the return ftp-data stream (port 20)?
When you ftp somewhere, the other machine tries to open a connect
back to you.

machine A ftps to machine B
A (port 21) ----->   B
A <------- (port 20) B
                                        -bob

From: "T.J. Weber" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: chi.internet,nwu.comp.linux,nwu.comp.unix.linux,enteract.linux
Subject: Free Linux CD's
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 1999 17:02:33 -0600

(this message has been cross-posted to various newsgroups, follow-ups
go to comp.os.linux.misc)

Hey, I have about 100+ Linux CD's laying around my home and office.
I'll send them out to anyone who wants to start playing around with
linux.  Most of these are old Linux CD's .. but very good to get
started if you just want to play.  I have the various Distributions:
   - OpenLinux Base 1.1
   - InfoMagic's Developers Resource (6-CD Set) (very old, 1996
copyright)
   - Winter 97 Linux Internet Archives (8 CD Set)

And many, many other individual distributions all on CD.  I also have
a big portion of Slackware 3.1 on Diskette for anyone with a really
old, CD-ROM-less computer.

First Come, First Serve.  So e-mail me, [EMAIL PROTECTED] if you are
interested.

Thanks,
--t.j.

--
T.J. Weber                      | James: "I hear that if you play the
Interplanetary Media            |         NT 4.0 CD backwards, you

From: Ben Russo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Netscape not working under RH52/KDE
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 1999 18:09:06 -0500

Daniel TONG wrote:

> Rookie's question:
>
> Netscape starts ok under KDE/RH52 but refuses to
> go to any site at all by saying that another
> Netscape session is on . It says the DNS could not
> be reached. Under Win98/NT,  the error message
> would mean that I have not established a PPP
> session. Yet when I pinged my ISP and it showed
> that  I was assigned  a dynamic ip address (via
> KKK). I would believe
> that is a conclusive proof that I was on .
>
> Would that be the fault of Netscape? Has anyone
> been running Netscape with no problem under
> KDE/RH52?  Should I reloaded Netscape again? How
> do I uninstall it?
>
> Any input would be most appreciated.
>
> Daniel  at [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Toronto

rm ~/.netscape/lock

try an "nslookup www.yahoo.com"
from the command line.  If it doesn't work your
DNS isn't configured right.

Look at "netstat -nr" for your routes.
Look at "/etc/resolv.conf"  and try
pinging your nameserver.

-Ben.

------------------------------

From: Shaygetz <"s m c q u a l e"@i x.n e t c o m.c o m>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Bunch of pretentious Wankers
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 1999 19:09:58 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> He deserved it. He is a piece of shit.
>
> So are most Democrats.

"Hitler."

There, I've said it.

------------------------------

From: Stephe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Red Hat novice seeking (elementary?) advice
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 1999 19:08:57 -0500

D. M. Smith wrote:

> I can at least lessen the
> learning curve by playing around with this for a while until I better
> familiarise myself with the OS or get a better Graphics card.
> Thanks again for your invaluable advice.

That would be my advice. To get the sound working on mine (The
card in my box wasn't suported) I just went and got a suported
one and it plug and played. ALOT easier than spending HOURS
trying to make some unsuported hardware work for a newbie.

--

        Stephe

Having fun with Linux!

------------------------------

From: bklimas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Network help!!!
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 1999 01:09:45 GMT

Could you please choose just one newsgroup to post you question to?

Aaron Dershem wrote:

> OK, after reading stuff all day and looking all over the web, I'll say it:
> I have no freakin' idea what I'm doing!
>
> Could someone out there outline the steps I need to do in order to get my
> network card to work?

And do you have Linux installed or do you have this problem with Windows?
What distribution and version of Linux did you install? Did the installation
program prompt you about your network card during the
installation?  And how do you know you have problems with installation
of the network card and not just the network setup?

> I downloaded the via-rhine.c file from the Internet
> (using my Win98 box :-(  ), but no clue as to what happens next.  Do I have
> to compile a new kernel, compile the driver (.c file), or what?

Just get RedHat 5.2 and install it. I did so, I am a newbie, and my network
works. I did not have to recompile anything.  I don't know anything about the
.c file you mention. It seems to me you make it  more complicated then
it really is.

> Thanks, I'll be waiting for an answer.

Just be more specific and we will try to help you? What exactely is your
problem? What I you trying to do, and what do you get?

> Email me at [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I did. Pls reply to comp.os.linux.setup ONLY.

> Aaron Dershem

Best regards,

b.k.

------------------------------

From: Jack Hayes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 3c509/3c509b and SportsterVoice
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 1999 14:02:45 -0500

Calle,

  I experienced a similar problem with the 3c509b.  I posted my problem
to some of the Linux newsgroups, and was advised that there might be a
IRQ/IO address conflict between the 3c509 and another device on my
computer.  They were right.  My problem was that another device was
using the same IRQ as the 3c509.  This was NOT noted in
/proc/interrupts.  But, when I booted the machine in Windows 98(the
system is dual boot Linux/Win 98), I noticed that another device was
using the same IRQ.  I eventually ended up disabling PNP on the card and
specifying an IRQ and IO address, using the MS-DOS utility included with
the card.  Donald Becker (the author of the Linux 3c509 driver) has a
page at http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/drivers/3c509.html about the
3c5x9 cards. I believe there is a Linux program somewhere around this
site that will allow you to disable PNP, and specify the IRQ/IO address
if doing it from MS-DOS is impractical.

Once I adjusted the settings on the 3c509 and specified the appropriate
options (e.g. irq=3 io=0x300, in my case) for the kernel daemon.  The
card worked fine.

Hope this helps.

Jack Hayes

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: ATI 3D Rage IIc - Getting on my tits!
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 1999 23:36:44 GMT

Hello!

  I wonder if anyone can help me? I've just got this nice new machine with an
ATI 3D Rage IIc graphics card (Mach64GT, Internal DAC Type) and can I get it
to run XFree under RedHat 5.2 (apollo)?

  Can I heck.

  Whatever options I try, I get a lovely screen which is fine vertically-wise,
but there are 4 repeated images horizontally.

  All I ask is for 1024x768 in 8bpp on my ADI Microscan 5P. My previous card
(Expercolor DSV) worked fine so I know that it isn't monitor settings that are
screwy, just the card ones.

  If anyone has sucessfully got one of these cards running then please could
you let me know because I'm dammed if I know how. If possible I'd appreciate
it if you could email me at:

  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  (remove the Z's)

since I don't check these newgroups as often as I do my mail.

Thanks!!

Rich.

From: "Bill Jones" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x
Subject: graphical performance monitor
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 1999 18:06:00 -0500

What graphical performance monitors are available for Linux?  I'd like
something like the Windows 95/98 System Monitor.  Also, is there some kind
of monitor to indicate a PPP connection is alive, like the one in the
Windows system tray?  Thanks.

<remove 7of9 for e-mail replies>

--
Bill Jones                 e-mail addresses:
Computer Sciences Corp.         (work)  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: David Masterson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,gnu.misc.discuss,uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: Consumer Poll Says Microsoft Is Good For Consumers
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 1999 15:50:52 -0800

Andrew Foakes wrote:
> Personally, I suspect that Microsift are levering their OS monopoly to
> sell other applications, but I don't think they should be split up for
> that even if I'm right.  Microsoft is not, and never has been, a
> technology company.  They are a marketing company and as such have
> taught the IT community that a salesman will always be richer than an
> inventor, which is hardly a new revelation.  The only thing I think
> should be done to Microsoft at this stage is to force the company to
> operate with walls - i.e. the OS division must be seen to make a
> stand-alone profit and publish all correspondance with the appliocations
> division, etc.  Both could then stay in the company, reward MS share
> holders for their investment and yet enforce a level playing field.

The problem with this scenario is that you put someone (most likely the
gov't) into the role of trying to keep tabs on whether Microsoft
violated the "walls" for as long as Microsoft is in business.  How do
you publish a hallway meeting or lunchtime talk?

> In this senario, IE should be an application, not part of the OS, IMHO.

But that is your opinion and, for everyone like you that view IE as an
application, there is probably an equal number that would say that
Microsoft has demonstrated in Windows-98 that putting browser
functionality into the OS makes sense.  Its a religious war in the
making and the only way to avoid it is to not get pulled into the
question of which came first -- the OS or the application?

--
David Masterson

From: David Taylor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: Glibc-2.0.112 Problem.
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 1999 00:37:09 +0000

I upgraded to glibc-2.0.112 and ended up (after 3 days) getting my
computer to work again... However, I can't recompile the Linux kernel
(2.2.1) [using egcs Feb08 snapshot] - it fails with undefined symbols in
network.a

Output from make follows:
[snip]
ld -m elf_i386 -T /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/vmlinux.lds -e stext
arch/i386/kernel/head.o arch/i386/kernel/init_task.o init/main.o
init/version.o \
        --start-group \
        arch/i386/kernel/kernel.o arch/i386/mm/mm.o kernel/kernel.o
mm/mm.o fs/fs.o ipc/ipc.o \
        fs/filesystems.a \
        net/network.a \
        drivers/block/block.a drivers/char/char.a drivers/misc/misc.a
drivers/net/net.a drivers/cdrom/cdrom.a drivers/pci/pci.a
drivers/pnp/pnp.a drivers/video/video.a \
        /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/lib/lib.a /usr/src/linux/lib/lib.a
/usr/src/linux/arch/i386/lib/lib.a \
        --end-group \
        -o vmlinux
net/network.a(core.o): In function `skb_copy':
core.o(.text+0xed8): undefined reference to `skb_put'
net/network.a(core.o): In function `skb_realloc_headroom':
core.o(.text+0x1000): undefined reference to `skb_put'
net/network.a(core.o): In function `neigh_fill_info':
core.o(.text+0x4f4a): undefined reference to `skb_put'
net/network.a(core.o): In function `__rta_fill':
core.o(.text+0x54d7): undefined reference to `skb_put'
net/network.a(core.o): In function `rtnetlink_fill_ifinfo':
core.o(.text+0x558c): undefined reference to `skb_put'
net/network.a(ethernet.o): In function `eth_header':
ethernet.o(.text+0x18): undefined reference to `skb_push'
net/network.a(ipv4.o): In function `rt_fill_info':
ipv4.o(.text+0x1b83): undefined reference to `skb_put'
net/network.a(ipv4.o): In function `ip_glue':
ipv4.o(.text+0x3390): undefined reference to `skb_put'
net/network.a(ipv4.o): In function `ip_forward':
ipv4.o(.text+0x39b5): undefined reference to `skb_push'
ipv4.o(.text+0x3a69): undefined reference to `skb_push'
net/network.a(ipv4.o): In function `ip_build_and_send_pkt':
ipv4.o(.text+0x4b08): undefined reference to `skb_push'
net/network.a(ipv4.o): In function `__ip_finish_output':
ipv4.o(.text+0x4c53): undefined reference to `skb_push'
net/network.a(ipv4.o): In function `ip_mc_output':
ipv4.o(.text+0x4d53): undefined reference to `skb_push'
net/network.a(ipv4.o)(.text+0x4df1): more undefined references to
`skb_push' follow
net/network.a(ipv4.o): In function `ip_build_xmit_slow':
ipv4.o(.text+0x5341): undefined reference to `skb_put'
net/network.a(ipv4.o): In function `ip_build_xmit':
ipv4.o(.text+0x5615): undefined reference to `skb_put'
net/network.a(ipv4.o): In function `ip_fragment':
ipv4.o(.text+0x584a): undefined reference to `skb_put'
net/network.a(ipv4.o): In function `ip_local_error':
ipv4.o(.text+0x5fea): undefined reference to `skb_put'
net/network.a(ipv4.o): In function `tcp_do_sendmsg':
ipv4.o(.text+0x715f): undefined reference to `skb_put'
net/network.a(ipv4.o)(.text+0x719b): more undefined references to
`skb_put' follow
net/network.a(ipv4.o): In function `tcp_transmit_skb':
ipv4.o(.text+0xacd2): undefined reference to `skb_push'
net/network.a(ipv4.o): In function `tcp_fragment':
ipv4.o(.text+0xb1ac): undefined reference to `skb_put'
net/network.a(ipv4.o): In function `tcp_retrans_try_collapse':
ipv4.o(.text+0xb596): undefined reference to `skb_put'
ipv4.o(.text+0xb5ec): undefined reference to `skb_put'
net/network.a(ipv4.o): In function `tcp_make_synack':
ipv4.o(.text+0xbd3f): undefined reference to `skb_push'
net/network.a(ipv4.o): In function `arp_send':
ipv4.o(.text+0x113ff): undefined reference to `skb_put'
net/network.a(ipv4.o): In function `inet_fill_ifaddr':
ipv4.o(.text+0x13723): undefined reference to `skb_put'
net/network.a(ipv4.o): In function `fib_dump_info':
ipv4.o(.text+0x1618e): undefined reference to `skb_put'
net/network.a(unix.o): In function `unix_dgram_sendmsg':
unix.o(.text+0xfbd): undefined reference to `skb_put'
net/network.a(unix.o): In function `unix_stream_sendmsg':
unix.o(.text+0x121e): undefined reference to `skb_put'
net/network.a(netlink.o)(.text+0xa90): more undefined references to
`skb_put' follow
make: *** [vmlinux] Error 1

Now that is one hell of a lot of errors, but they are ALL referring to
skb_put and skb_push...

Anyone have ANY clue what is going on?

--
David Taylor
E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: David Taylor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: /dev/hdc2 has insecure permissions ?
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 1999 01:13:29 +0000

Im Eunjea wrote:

> i'm using redhat 5.2 with 2.2.1
>
> util-linux 2.9g
>
> what's mean this strange message ?
>
> mkswap /dev/hdc2
>
> sync
>
> swapon /dev/hdc2
>
> --> swapon: warning: /dev/hdc2 has insecure permissions 0660, 0600 suggested
>
> Any ideas? thanks

It means, /dev/hdc2 has insecure permissions.  0660 = owner can
read/write group can read/write.  0600 = owner can read/write.  do a
'chmod 0600 /dev/hdc2'.  0660 isnt really *too* insecure, as group root
usually only has user root in it anyway, but.. if /dev/hdc2 is owned by
group users.. well, yikes..

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David R. Conrad)
Subject: Re: Burning MP3s to CD, long file names?
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 1999 20:25:48 GMT

Stef wrote:
>: mkisofs -o music.raw -R -T /data/musicdir
>
>I also add the option -J for Joliet extensions, so I also have the
>long Filenames under MS Windows.
>You need a recent version of mkisofs for this.

Uh, I thought Rock Ridge extensions were for long filenames, and
Joliet was for unicode, or multiple code pages, or some kind of
foreign character thing.

--
David R. Conrad <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  PGP keys (0x1993E1AE and 0xA0B83D31):
DSS  Fingerprint20 = 9942 E27C 3966 9FB8 5058  73A4 83CE 62EF 1993 E1AE

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Juergen Heinzl)
Subject: Re: /usr is busy on shutdown
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 1999 22:23:07 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, aramaki wrote:
>so it never umount cleanly
>I have installed gnulibc2,egc-1.1.1, gtk+-1.1.12, imlib, glib
>any idea

How are the libraries installed, as the primary ones in /lib
or in /usr/local/lib ? If the latter you loose as soon as there
is something running that needs them during shutdown, like the
shell, mount, umount, init.

NLS support, if you enable it for root for instance it is possible
ummount is the one since it opened a message catalog.

You might really try this, telinit 1 or S or switch into single
user mode, then you can see what's still up (not much anymore)
and either use fuser or lsof to see what is going on. lsof might
not be installed on your system but fuser should be.

Cheers,
Juergen

--
\ Real name     : Jürgen Heinzl                 \       no flames      /
 \ EMail Private : [EMAIL PROTECTED] \ send money instead /

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: linux to sgi remote access
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 1999 00:50:21 GMT

Hi I'm using redhat linux 5.2. I want to remote access to my machine at work.
My work place machine is a sgi workstation with irix 6.5. I'm able to
successfully dial-in from win 98. But I don't know how to do it from linux.
(I'm a newbee and have installed linux just last week on my home pc)

This is what I have tried so far on linux (doesn't work!)
1)use netcfg (or the networking icon from the control panel)
2)click on interface tab and fill out my login, passwd and phone no
3) click on the first tab and fill out the domain
4) come back to interface tab and click on activate
5) use ifconfig to find out if the connection takes place
6) use ping <machine name>. It says unknown host error

Could you please help me out. Where should I type in XXXX.com and XXXX1 in
the above settings? (I have substitued XXXX for my company name. XXXX.com and
XXXX1 is explained below. )

the steps I follow to connect from win98 are as follows(works!)
======================================================== Installing
Microsoft's TCP/IP Protocol: Click the Start Button on the task bar, slide up
to Settings and select Control Panel. Double click on the Network icon. The
Network dialog box will appear. Click the Add button, double click on
Protocol in the Select Network Component Type dialog box. Next click the
Identification tab and enter your last name. Enter <XXXX1> in the Domain Name
Workgroup Field. Double click Microsoft in the Select Network Protocol dialog
box, then select TCP/IP and click OK.

Configuring TCP/IP:
Select TCP/IP in the Network dialog box and click Properties.
In the TCP/IP Properties dialog box, select DNS configuration. Set DNS
configuration to:
Enable DNS
Domain name to <XXXX.com>
You must enter a Host name in the Host box. If you do not know what your Host
name is type in your last name.
In the IP address dialog box choose Obtain an IP address automatically.
Under the WINS Configuration tab select: Use DHCP for WINS resolution.

Creating a Dial-Up Networking Connection: From the Desktop, double click on
the My Computer icon. Double click the Dial-Up Networking folder in the My
Computer window. In the Dial-Up Networking window, double click the Make New
Connection icon. The Make New Connection wizard will ask you for the
necessary information to define a connection. When the wizard is finished
defining the connection, a new icon will appear in the Dial-Up Networking
window.

Could you PLEASE help me out.

Thanks
Jatin