Linux-Misc Digest #33, Volume #20                 Mon, 3 May 99 01:13:09 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Need help setting up a remote X-term. (Regit Young)
  I am on a quest... (Jeffery Cann)
  Re: The GNU Fragrance of Sharing vs. the Stench of Greed (was: GNU reeks of
Communism (really)^ (Bill Bonde)
  Re: The GNU Fragrance of Sharing vs. the Stench of Greed (was: GNU reeks of
Communism (really) (Chris Costello)
  Re: The GNU Fragrance of Sharing vs. the Stench of Greed (was: GNU reeks of
Communism (really) (Chris Costello)
  Re: CTRL-S (Jim Richardson)
  Re: The GNU Fragrance of Sharing vs. the Stench of Greed (was: GNU reeks of
Communism (really) (Chris Costello)
  Re: The GNU Fragrance of Sharing vs. the Stench of Greed (was: GNU reeks of
Communism (really) (Chris Costello)
  Re: Windows NT vs. Linux testing by mindcraft (Jesus Monroy, Jr.)
  Re: irc (Rick)
  Re: The GNU Fragrance of Sharing vs. the Stench of Greed (was: GNU reeks of
Communism (really) (Chris Costello)
  Re: The GNU Fragrance of Sharing vs. the Stench of Greed (was: GNU reeks  ("Colin R.
Day")

From: Regit Young <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
aus.computers.linux,comp.os.linux.x,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: Need help setting up a remote X-term.
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 1999 00:54:15 +0800

Is there a error message ?

--
~ cry for help from a overworked box ~
I've been working for 9 weeks 6 days 4 hours 24 minutes

------------------------------

From: Jeffery Cann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x,alt.os.slackware.linux
Subject: I am on a quest...
Date: Sun, 02 May 1999 08:19:57 GMT

for an X-windows email client for Linux.  If my dream of the "perfect"
email client could be written down, it would have the following
features:

- stable:  never hangs, never blows up!
- reliable:  messages don't evaporate!
- scalable:  if I have 2000 messages saved, performance shouldn't drop.
- graphical:  what can I say, I am not into pine.
- threaded:  this seems to be a hard feature, not sure why.
- minimal resources:  bloatware sucks even with P2/350 (128 MB)

Here are the email clients I have tried:

Netscape Communicator
 - It is fairly solid, has threading, but cannot support multiple
accounts.  It also randomly blows up and uses about 13 MB.  I know I can
launch into the mail window by default at startup of netscape, but all
the components of communicator still are loaded.

KDE Kmail
 - Lean and mean.  Too lean on features.  Font support is underdeveloped
and there is no threading in kmail 1.1.  Kmail 2.0 will have threading.
Cannot support multiple email accounts.   Seems to be stable.

Star Office
 - While pretty, 5.0 filtering of MS Office documents is buggy.  So,
download the 'filter update' in 5.01 'to improve performance' and watch
how your pop email accounts no longer work.  Star Mail does have
threading and multiple emails.  It also has major problems in that it is
easy to blow up and 5.01 is literally useless for the Linux version.

What do you use?  How does it rate with the above wish list?

Jeffery Cann

--
"Who does not trust enough will not be trusted."

- Lao Tsu

------------------------------

From: Bill Bonde <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
talk.politics.misc,comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.activism,alt.society.liberalism
Subject: Re: The GNU Fragrance of Sharing vs. the Stench of Greed (was: GNU reeks of
Communism (really)^
Date: Sun, 02 May 1999 21:07:21 -0700

Chris Lee wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
> >
> >mlw wrote:

> >> One is always FREE not to use GPL, aren't they? I think GPL is quite
> >> liberating. You are free to use GPL and free not too. Freedom of choice.
> >>
> >But this is not really freedom, is it? You aren't free to use the code
> >as you see fit, are you?
>
> What's your point? It's not like it's *YOUR* code to begin with,is it?

I thought it was claimed that we were being pro-choice and pro-freedom?
Forgive me for being wrong.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chris Costello)
Crossposted-To:
Date: Mon, 03 May 1999 04:32:37 GMT

In article <7gj22d$6g8$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Chris Lee wrote:
> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> says...

> >>       As does LGPL. It just doesn't make it quite as easy
> >>       to make minor modifications and then crassly declare
> >>       the result to be your property. This kind of
> >>       shenanigan is what inspired creation of the GPL to
> >>       begin with.
> >
> >   As seen in the BSD license:
> >
> > * Copyright (c) [year] [your name]
> > * All rights reserved.
> > *
> > * Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without
> > * modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions
> > * are met:
> > * 1. Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright
> > *    notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
> > * 2. Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright
> > *    notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the
> > *    documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
> >
> >   This prevents the same thing.
>
> Who cares? The vast majority of people prefer the GPL license to the BSD
> license. Get over it.

   Point out where I was trying to get people to use the BSD
license.

   The large and increasing amount of people who use the GPL does
not make it any less a crock.

--
Chris Costello
Bad command or file name.  Go stand in the corner.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chris Costello)
Crossposted-To:
Date: Mon, 03 May 1999 04:34:18 GMT

In article <7gj368$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Floyd Davidson wrote:
> Chris Costello <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> >>    As does LGPL. It just doesn't make it quite as easy
> >>    to make minor modifications and then crassly declare
> >>    the result to be your property. This kind of
> >>    shenanigan is what inspired creation of the GPL to
> >>    begin with.
> >
> >   As seen in the BSD license:
> >
> > * Copyright (c) [year] [your name]
> > * All rights reserved.
> > *
> > * Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without
> > * modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions
> > * are met:
> > * 1. Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright
> > *    notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
> > * 2. Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright
> > *    notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the
> > *    documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
> >
> >   This prevents the same thing.
>
> It doesn't.

   Prove it.

--
Chris Costello
Unprecedented performance: Nothing ever ran this slow before.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jim Richardson)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Re: CTRL-S
Date: 3 May 1999 04:02:19 GMT

On Sat, 01 May 1999 19:27:57 +0200,
 Patrik Israelsson, in the persona of <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
 brought forth the following words...:

>Stu wrote:
>
>> I've noticed that within a virtual console CTRL-S disables the keyboard.
>> I am sure this is not a bug, so what is its purpose. I can only think
>> that it could be to lock the console for whilst away from the keyboard,
>> but if so how do you unlock it ?
>
>Well, I really don't think I've seen any good answers to this in other
>answers (sorry guys =P), so I'll just answer your question: Ctrl+S does the
>same as Scroll Lock. Unlock it by pressing Scroll Lock again...
>
>            / Patrik

This is for compatability with ancient term types. CTRL-S stops terminal
(so you can read stuff.) and CTRL-Q continues.

--
Jim Richardson
        www.eskimo.com/~warlock

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chris Costello)
Crossposted-To:
Date: Mon, 03 May 1999 04:41:39 GMT

In article <7gj49r$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Floyd Davidson wrote:

> Chris Costello <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >Floyd Davidson wrote:

> >> I fail to see where BSD is better than GPL.  Allowing open software
> >> to assist in the development of proprietary closed projects just is
> >> not an advantage.
> >
> >   Why isn't it?
>
> The advantage only exists when additions and improvements are
> shared with those who have also shared.  That is the point of
> free software you know...

   I love free software, and all of the software I've written was
in fact distributed freely.  I've also written and distributed
one GPL'd piece of software, although I did it *VERY*
hesitatingly.

   I was bringing up hypothetical situations, where I might have
no control over whatever company I might be working in, as far as
software licensing goes.

   As much as you might like to think everybody works for
themselves, it's not true.

> >> It is also absolutely false that GPL forces openness on anyone.
> >> Nobody is *required* to use GPL's code.  GPL _permits_ openness,
> >> and we have all seen the effect that it has had over the past 15
> >> years or so as the GNU project has developed into an exceedingly
> >> significant force.  Not to mention what Linux has become in the
> >> past 6-7 years...
> >>
> >> When a fellow like Torvalds (as opposed to Stallman) stands up
> >> at Comdex and threatens to bury MicroSoft, it's pretty hard to
> >> say that open software is a crock, or that the GPL hasn't been a
> >> major enabling factor.
> >
> >   Please tell me where I said open software is a crock.
>
> Please see the first line of quoted material in this text, then
> read carefully where *I* have shown that the GPL pretty much defines
> what "open software" is.  Whatever faults RMS has, the GNU project
> has, or GPL has, we still have to admit that is the basis of
> what we know as open software today.

   I don't have a single doubt in my mind that GNU has started
the largest open software movement as of yet (and probably ever),
but I do acknowledge the faults the GPL has.  I also must add
that the GNU project has produced truly excellent software.
However, that doesn't mean anything to this thread about the
GPL's forced-openness.

> You of course are free to disagree, but nobody has to pay attention either.
>
>   Floyd
>

> --
> Floyd L. Davidson                                [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)                       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>      North Slope images: <http://www.ptialaska.net/~floyd>

--
Chris Costello
Make sure all variables are initialized before use.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chris Costello)
Crossposted-To:
Date: Mon, 03 May 1999 04:47:35 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> On Mon, 03 May 1999 02:11:32 GMT, Chris Costello <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> >>    Sure you can. You just can't try to sell the derivative work.
> >
> >   Ok, I misunderstood that part.  How about this hypothetical
> >situation:
> >
> >   I'm writing a closed-source database system, but I *really*
> >like the sort code from FooSQL, the GPLed SQL server.  So I have
> >it working with my closed database system.  Can I sell it
> >legally?
>
>       Sure. You just have to provide source. Distribution
>       requires disclosure of source regardless of what you
>       charge for it. Don't distribute it (just use it like
>       Walnut Creek) & you don't have to release your source.

   I didn't get my point across right (and I noticed that from my
post, not your response):

   Say I work for a company that wants to sell ClosedSQL, and
ClosedSQL's sort code is so bloated that it's just not going to keep
companies happy under heavy load, and FooSQL's sort code is so
optimized that it simply can't be beat!  Copying the code
directly would clearly be a violation in license.  Closed, Inc.
is generally proprietary (much like BSD, Incorporated.) so it's
wary to release the source code.

   See where I'm going?

--
Chris Costello
Programming just with goto's is like swatting flies with a sledgehammer.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jesus Monroy, Jr.)
Crossposted-To: comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Subject: Re: Windows NT vs. Linux testing by mindcraft
Date: Mon, 03 May 1999 04:52:04 GMT

Sorry everyone. I gues I was out to lunch when a reponse was needed.

On 29 Apr 1999 20:42:44 -0500, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kenny
McCormack) wrote:

>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>Donn Miller  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>>     When I saw the subject line, I was tempted to cry M$
>>> cronie, but I saw your name attached. :-)
>>>     With no room for doubt, M$ rigded the test. This "test"
>>> is more than a phoney benchmark comparison; it is also a
>>> "test" and benchmarch of community respone.
>
>Why are we getting so hyper about this?  Can't we just run our own
>test, find Linux superior (it shouldn't be nearly so hard) and publish
>the results?  In fact, in keeping with the spirit of free software, we
>won't have to pay nearly as much as M$ did to get a "study" that
>generates the desired result.

    That is fine TALK, but that's all it is.

>>>     Point being that if such a attach was taken against
>>> a commerical company, they would in fact be frustrated.
>>> Why?  Just consider what actions are left to both the CTO
>>> and the head of R&D.  They can't respond in person, they are
>>> too busy and if they did it would validate the M$ test.
>
>I don't understand this.  What is meant by the phrase "such a[n]
>attach was taken against a commercial company" ?
>^^^^^^
  Sorry I  meant to say 'attack'.

--
If you have to read the docs, it's broken.
I hate making mistakes.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rick)
Subject: Re: irc
Date: Sun, 2 May 1999 10:38:19 -0400

Michael Rathburn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Can some one tell me the the command structure for for using irc
> from Xterm.
> I have tried :-irc /server Dalnet davis.dal.net.6667 and I get cannot
> resolve host
> what do i put for host and where ? I assume its my username and password but
> I can't seem to get it right.
>
> also I have after a lot of hassle managed to connect using Kppp I get the
> Daemon died unexpectedly but I can still load Netscape and surf the net is
> this Normal or should it drop the connection when the pppd daemon dies.
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Ratty....

This is how I do it...
Open an xterm
type irc
/disconnect
/server servername

I do the disconnect becasue I havent gotten around to figureing out how
to script ircII yet.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chris Costello)
Crossposted-To:
Date: Mon, 03 May 1999 04:52:51 GMT

In article <7gj3sh$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Floyd Davidson wrote:
> Chris Costello <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, D.
>Vrabel wrote:

> >> Alas, your argument is wrong because your not forced to use the GPL or
> >> to use GPL software.
> >
> >   I'm completely aware.  I don't like developing on software
> >that makes me release all of my code.  If I want to, say, use an
> >IRC server that's GPLed, and add my proprietary extensions to it
> >for conferences amongst my coworkers, I can't do that, now, can
> >I?
>
> Actually, you can amongst a few coworkers.  If "your" code is
> owned by that group of coworkers, you can do as you please.  Just
> don't be giving a binary to your church's Sunday School and
> taking a tax write off by calling it a donation!
>
> However, your logic is terribly flawed.  You want the right to use
> other's code with no restrictions placed on your use, but you insist
> that you also be able to put severe restrictions on your code.  To
> justify that, you construct a dicotomy whereby any reference to "free"
> has to mean you are totally free in every sense, or not at all.

   The freedom for the users to integrate its code into their
proprietary code is certainly an important freedom.

> The GPL is about as free as it gets.  Nothing that actually
> works is better.  You are free to do anything except use it in a
> less free manner than it was provided to you.

   With the BSD license, you're free to--how shall I put it--join
the military.  With the GPL, you can only be a freelance
architect.  With the BSD license, you can be either a freelance
architect or, say, design houses for a single company, and keep
whatever practices you may use secret, or keep them availible for
others in a book.

   This is a bit of a strange comparison, but it works for me.

> Your complaint that it is not as free as your code is unfree is
> not rational.
>
>   Floyd
>
> --
> Floyd L. Davidson                                [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)                       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>      North Slope images: <http://www.ptialaska.net/~floyd>

--
Chris Costello
You have a tendency to feel you are superior to most computers.

------------------------------

From: "Colin R. Day" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
talk.politics.misc,comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.activism,alt.society.liberalism
Subject: Re: The GNU Fragrance of Sharing vs. the Stench of Greed (was: GNU reeks
Date: Mon, 03 May 1999 05:00:39 +0000

Chris Costello wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Mark S. Bilk wrote:
> > >For each person, it depends on timescale or personal
> > >interest.  Some systems elevate a "class" of individuals to take
> > >advantage of others ("practical communism" and GPL),
> >
> > Amazing!  Exactly what "class of individuals" is enabled
> > to "take advantage of others" by means of the GPL?  All of
> > humanity minus Bill Gates?
>
>    The GPL is a crock.  It forces openness.  That's not freedom.
> You like walking outside sometimes, I would bet.  Would you like
> being *FORCED* to walk outside all the time?  That's the key
> problem with the GPL and many recognize it.

It only forces openness if you use GPLed code. Or is someone
holding a gun to your head to use such code? One might as well
say that Microsoft forces one to obey the EULA.

--
Colin R. Day    [EMAIL PROTECTED]     alt.atheist #1500

EAC Cheerleader RAH! RAH! RAH! Go, team, go! (of course, there
is no EAC team)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chris Costello)
Crossposted-To:
Date: Mon, 03 May 1999 05:03:32 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> On Sun, 02 May 1999 18:58:47 -0700, Bill Bonde <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >mlw wrote:

> >> One is always FREE not to use GPL, aren't they? I think GPL is quite
> >> liberating. You are free to use GPL and free not too. Freedom of choice.
> >>
> >But this is not really freedom, is it? You aren't free to use the code
> >as you see fit, are you?
>
>       Sure you are.

   As the GPL sees fit anyway.  As in "as long as everybody can
get your source code," sure.

> --
>
>     Microsoft subjected the world to DOS until 1995.             |||
>          A little spite is more than justified.                 / | \
>

>                       In search of sane PPP Docs? Try http://penguin.lvcm.com

--
Chris Costello
Replace repetitive expressions by calls to a common function.