Linux-Misc Digest #33, Volume #28                 Tue, 5 Jun 01 02:13:01 EDT

Contents:
  Re: make chmod 666 default for a dir (Colin Watson)
  Re: See a man file (Colin Watson)
  Re: ssh client for Win9X? (David Efflandt)
  Re: ssh client for Win9X? (Dave Uhring)
  Re: ssh client for Win9X? (Grant Edwards)
  Re: 2GB File size limitation (Rod Smith)
  Re: RH 7.1 disk and gmc corruption (Jason Lott)
  Re: netscape and cache (Rinaldi J. Montessi)
  Re: increasing ulimit for core files (John Taylor)
  Conner Tape (Greg)
  Re: In Linux, how can I read CDRW data store at Win2k? (David Eastcott)
  Re: seeking Windows & Linux compatible email client ("bowman")
  Re: linux ("bowman")
  Need Some Help With A Compressed File ("Multi User")
  Re: Need Some Help With A Compressed File (Mordak)
  Re: What are these kernel files for? Do I need them? ("Glitch")
  got EOF from time server (DaveDiego)
  Debian install from CD? (Grant Edwards)
  Re: Num Lock (Rinaldi J. Montessi)
  interrup received, but no mail -- on adaptec aha1542 ("Darren and Marla Welson")
  Re: linux (Andrew Brehaut)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Colin Watson)
Subject: Re: make chmod 666 default for a dir
Date: 5 Jun 2001 00:18:44 GMT

John Hunter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I have a subdir that I am working on with another user on my system.
>
>I have set the mode to be 777 for this subdir, and I want all new
>files that are created in this dir to have 666 permission by default.
>Is this possible?

No. You could make the directory setgid to some particular group and
then both put 'umask 2' in your .bashrc, though (so that files are
created mode 0664, and the setgid bit on the directory will cause them
to have the right group). This is only safe on a system that allocates a
separate group to each user; otherwise, you just have to get used to
switching umask.

--
Colin Watson                                     [[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
"'Spirited, isn't he?' Tynian whispered to Ulath. 'Red-haired

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Colin Watson)
Crossposted-To: comp.unix.questions
Subject: Re: See a man file
Date: 5 Jun 2001 00:15:30 GMT

jose luis fernandez diaz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I have a file (cppp.1) and I want see it with 'man'.  If I do  'file
>cppp.1',  the system shows this:
>
>              cppp.1: troff or preprocessor input text
>
>How can I see that file with man ?

Depending on your version of man, 'man ./cppp.1', 'man -l cppp.1', or
even just 'man cppp.1' might work.

--
Colin Watson                                     [[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
"Ye GODS! NT crashed the microwave!" "Hmmm. Am thinkink we should put

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Efflandt)
Subject: Re: ssh client for Win9X?
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2001 03:26:04 +0000 (UTC)

On Tue, 05 Jun 2001 02:39:50 GMT, Aaron Brice <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I want to use ssh instead of telnet, but is there a nice free ssh client
> for Win9X?  Security is important to me, but it's not worth $50..  :)

Putty works well and is free.  You may need to use its utility to create
its public key (append it to your Linux generated authorized_keys).  I use
the same passphrase for both.

> Also, if I'm connecting across my home lan which is also connected to a
> cable modem, between two computers that are on the same subnet, can
> someone on the internet still sniff the packets?

Normally internet routers do not route IP's in the private ranges.
But if your cable uses private IP's be cautious of others on that cable.
You should have some sort of router or firewall that masquerades your LAN
which hopefully uses a different subnet than the cable itself.

--
David Efflandt  (Reply-To is valid)  http://www.de-srv.com/
http://www.autox.chicago.il.us/  http://www.berniesfloral.net/

------------------------------

From: Dave Uhring <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2001 22:27:45 -0500

Aaron Brice wrote:

> I want to use ssh instead of telnet, but is there a nice free ssh
> client
> for Win9X?  Security is important to me, but it's not worth $50..  :)
>
> Also, if I'm connecting across my home lan which is also connected to
> a cable modem, between two computers that are on the same subnet, can
> someone on the internet still sniff the packets?

Go to google.com, search for "putty"

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Grant Edwards)
Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2001 03:29:47 GMT

On Tue, 5 Jun 2001 03:26:04 +0000 (UTC), David Efflandt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> I want to use ssh instead of telnet, but is there a nice free ssh client
>> for Win9X?  Security is important to me, but it's not worth $50..  :)
>
>Putty works well and is free.  You may need to use its utility to create
>its public key (append it to your Linux generated authorized_keys).  I use
>the same passphrase for both.
>
>http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/

Putty is the best telnet client of any kind for Win32.  The
fact that it also does ssh is pure icing on the cake.  I tried
Anzio's telnet client for a little while, but you couldn't
resize the window, and the font it used took up huge amounts of
screen space.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  I want to read my new
                                  at               poem about pork brains and

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rod Smith)
Subject: Re: 2GB File size limitation
Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2001 03:34:05 -0000

        "kyi" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> If memory serves me correctly, reiserfs doesn't suffer from the 2Gb
> file size limit. The 2Gb limit really sucks, I know I have been
> there. I like to record & edit large video clips, so I use reiserfs.

The 2GB limit is a function of the VFS on 2.2.x kernels on x86
architecture, not of ext2fs. In 2.4.x kernels, with appropriate support
libraries, ext2fs supports much larger files than that. Unless it's
changed recently, ReiserFS suffers from a 4GB file size limit, which is
actually lower than ext2fs's limit. JFS and XFS, though, have pretty
huge file size limits.

--
Rod Smith, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.rodsbooks.com

------------------------------

From: Jason Lott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: RH 7.1 disk and gmc corruption
Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2001 22:47:05 -0500

On Mon, 04 Jun 2001 20:18:11 -0600, "Jeff S" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>Ever since I installed Red Hat 7.1 I've been running into disk corruption
>problems. Also, /usr/bin/gmc keeps getting trashed and frequently so do
>some of the icons it uses. Haven't changed any hardware recently, and all
>has been working fine with RH5.2, 6.x and 7.0. In the midst of these
>problems, sometimes fsck reports numerous disk problems--usually about
>inodes (lots of them!) and such, but not always.
>
>What I've tried thus far:
>-Not using my root account (still have the same problems) -Using the RH
>installer to wipe the disk clean, verify blocks and repartition, then
>doing clean workstation-class install.
>
>So far nothing seems to have any lasting effect. Is anyone else seeing
>these problems or is it time for me to get a new hard disk?
>
>Jeff S

I'm not sure about your machine architecture (chipset, cpu, etc), but it may be
more of an issue with the kernel version and hdd udma as opposed to the
hard drive itself (especially with a couple of VIA chipsets)... If the rules apply you
can try two experiments, 1) disable the hdd dma in bios, or 2) upgrade to
a newer kernel version. If neither of those work... I guess it would be time
to spend some money...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rinaldi J. Montessi)
Subject: Re: netscape and cache
Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2001 00:33:38 GMT

faeychyld wrote:

> When I return from a link to the
> source page with netscape, it seems
> to download the damm thing from the
> net again.
>
> I thought this should be instantanious
> when the previous page is in the cache.
>
> is this an setting option I have missed,
> I do have a disk and memory cache set in
> preferences.

Many pages use "no-cache" in the headers forcing a reload.  Not that it
matters but M$ ignores the command.

View page source and see if that is the case.

Rinaldi
--
We all know Linux is great...it does infinite loops in 5 seconds.
--Linus Torvalds

------------------------------

From: John Taylor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: increasing ulimit for core files
Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2001 03:51:58 GMT

Steve Allan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

: I'm running RedHat 6.2 in a development environment and I need to
: allow developers to write core files.  The problem is the default
: ulimit settings are different for a user when logged in directly to
: the console versus logged in remotely:

: # console
: % ulimit -H -c
: unlimited
: % ulimit -S -c
: 1000000

: # telnet session
: % ulimit -H -c
: 0
: % ulimit -S -c
: 0

: The 1000000 soft limit is being set in /etc/profile, but it fails for
: remote logins with the message

: bash: ulimit: cannot modify limit: Operation not permitted

: because the hard limit is set to 0 for a remote login, so users cannot
: increase it.  Does anyone know how/why/where this is set, or how I can
: change this behavior?

: Thanks.

: --
: -- Steve __

Try modifying /etc/security/limits.conf

add something like:
*               soft    core            65536

--

John Taylor

Reply to:
john
at
giffords dot net

------------------------------

From: Greg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Conner Tape
Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2001 03:44:04 GMT

I have a Conner CTT3200 I-F tape drive.  It uses a floppy controller via
IDE card.  How do you set this thing up to work ?   Do I have to have
certain drivers ? Do I have to have the jumpers set in a certain way ?

From: David Eastcott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: In Linux, how can I read CDRW data store at Win2k?
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.mandrake
Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2001 04:15:30 GMT

Carfield Yim wrote:

> If you mount my CDRW disc as iso9660, I see the following files:
>
>         autorun.inf* udfrinst.exe*
>
> As there is a file call udfrinst.exe, I suppose that the CD have 2
> filesystem con-exist, one is iso9660 that let normal CDROM can read,
> which let the user to install necessary driver, and most data store in
> filesystem UDF, as my kernel have UDF support, I re-mount my device as:
> mount -t udf /dev/scd1 /mnt/zipcd. However I get the following message:
>
> mount: block device /dev/scd1 is write-protected, mounting read-only
> mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/scd1,
> or too many mounted file systems
>
> I guess the it don't know where is the UDF filesystem start, so I would
> like to ask, how can I mount the device? Can anyone give me more
> information that where is the true superblock on that CD disc??

At a guess I think you created the CD-RW using DirectCD, and that you used
the easy way where you just drag and drop files.  Unfortunately, this does
not work in the linux world.  The files you have listed are put on your
CD-RW by DirectCD so that when you put the CD-RW in a Windows Computer
which does not have the required drivers, it auto installs them.

However, the solution is to use the EasyCD Creator program instead.  Takes
a bit more work, but at least you can read them in Linux.

regards
Dave

------------------------------

From: "bowman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: seeking Windows & Linux compatible email client
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2001 22:20:45 -0600

"Doctor X" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> Can anyone recommend an email client which I can use across these 3
> platforms on the SAME set of offline (downloaded) email folders?

afaik, pine http://www.washington.edu/pine/  will do what you want. its
folders are quite simple formatted. at worst, you might have to run unix2dos
or a similar program to resolve the perennial CRLF problem.

Not a glitzy client, but it does work.

------------------------------

From: "bowman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: linux
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2001 22:30:52 -0600

"william" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Is there a Linux dist that's only graphical, all I want to do is point
> at something with a mouse.

would that something be a cat? Linux requires a bit of literacy and the
capability for logical thought. Try XP. You'll love it. It is very friendly.
Even if they did shitcan Clippy.

------------------------------

From: "Multi User" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Need Some Help With A Compressed File
Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2001 04:41:22 GMT

I posted it two days ago but no one seems to want to take a stab at it.

I have a file on my hard drive. I'm familiar with extracting 'tar' and 'gz'
files, but not 'sh' files. Here is the name of the file. Could someone
please explain how I go about extracting its contents?

Filename: 'linuxq3apoint-1.16m-beta3.x86.gz.sh'

Thank You

===================================
News Group Note: This system is utilized by multiple users.
The views and opinions expressed do not necessarily reflect those of the
owners.
Replies should be made to the news groups unless an email is posted inline.
====================================

------------------------------

From: Mordak <linux*NO-SPAM*5150@.yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Need Some Help With A Compressed File
Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2001 04:49:15 GMT

It appears to be a compressed self extracting file. Check this link for help.
http://www.cc.ic.ac.uk/helpdesk/apriori/73.852.html
It will most likely help you out.
Later,
Mordak

------------------------------

From: "Glitch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: What are these kernel files for? Do I need them?
Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2001 01:00:18 -0400

> kernel-BOOT-2.2.14-5.0.i386.rpm
> This file didn't install when using rpm. It gave the message "error:
> failed dependencies: kernel <= 2.2 conflicts with initscripts=4.16-1,
> (but my kernel is presently 2.2.5-15!)
>
> kernel-pcmcia-cs-2.2.14-5.0.i386.rpm
> This file gives the error message " ... conflicts with file from package
> kernel-pcmcia-cs-2.2.5-15" for a variety of files. Do I have to
> uninstall the 2.2.5-15 kernel file and then install the 2.2.14-5.0
> pcmica kernel file?
>
> kernel-smp-2.2.14-5.0.i386.rpm
> Under rpm this file gives the message "error: failed dependencies:
> kernel <= 2.2 conflicts with initscripts-4.16-1", (but my kernel is
> presently 2.2.5-15!)
>

> The following files installed fine under "rpm" ...
> kernel-2.2.14-6.0.i686.rpm
> kernel-doc-2.2.14-5.0-i386.rpm
> kernel-headers-2.2.14-5.0.i386.rpm
> kernel-ibcs-2.2.14-5.0.i386.rpm
> kernel-source-2.2.14-5.0.i386.rpm
> kernel-utils-2.2.14-5.0.i386.rpm
> kernelcfg-0.5-5.i386.rpm

Now you know why i despise RPM and just download tar.gz files for all
programs I want to install.  Download the tar.gz for the kernel and
compile it yourself, a lot less headaches as long as u read the README
file and the Changes file.

------------------------------

From: DaveDiego <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: got EOF from time server
Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2001 04:57:43 GMT

 I have xinetd running on a Redhat machine and I set up the time server
from the example. When I run rdate from localhost I get "rdate: got EOF
from time server" When I try from another host I get "rdate: Success"

 I searched google groups, but the only thing I could find was someone
went back to inetd.

 Is there something else I may have missed?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Grant Edwards)
Subject: Debian install from CD?
Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2001 05:21:06 GMT

Before I ship the next release of my product, I'd like to make
sure it will build and run on a current Debian system. I want
to boot from floppy and then install the base system from a CD.
I've been reading the installation manual for the hour or two
and I can't even figure out what needs to go on the CD.

Can somebody point me to the spot in the docs where it lists
what needs to go on a CD?  Is it the same as is needed to
install from floppies?

If I do the base installation that way, I can add packages from
servers on the 'net, right?  Maybe somebody can even point me
to an ISO image for a base system on a CD?  I don't really have
the bandwidth to download the 3 CD set from linuxiso when all I
want is a stripped-down text-based system with gcc.

A Debian install sure looks complicated (even compared to the
good old days installing Unix from tape).  I'm starting to think
that doing a Debian install is more work than I can justify.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  That's a decision
                                  at               that can only be made

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rinaldi J. Montessi)
Subject: Re: Num Lock
Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2001 00:38:08 GMT

Pete Clements wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> This is a real quickie, but can someone tell me which script to edit
> to set the numlock status on boot up.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Pete.

For level three put this in your /etc/rc.d/rc.local or equivalent:

for tty in /dev/tty[1-9]*; do
      setleds -D +num < $tty
    done

for level five there is a small binary called numlockx which you can
put in your ~/.xinitrc

There are other hacks for level five, but none I've found turn the led
on also.

Rinaldi

From: "Darren and Marla Welson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.redhat,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.periphs.scsi
Subject: interrup received, but no mail -- on adaptec aha1542
Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2001 05:37:17 GMT

Red Hat 6.2, P133 MHz, 64MB RAM.  Adaptec ISA AHA-1542CF host card...when I
insmod aha1542, I get:
"interrup received, but no mail"
I have changed BIOS to not allow >1G
disabled supprt for >2 drives
disabled autoscanning the bus
What else can I try?

darren

------------------------------

From: Andrew Brehaut <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2001 17:47:40 +1200

well, in difference to all previous replies to this post; if your
willing to want to try linux, and can handle the jandle of some
differences, I think you could possibly manage (not especialy well,
unless your willing to try to learn more) with something like RH7.1
using KDE (forget gnome, it lets you do too much), im personaly not a
KDE fan, but it does have a level of familiaraity for windows users, and
it'll give you a taste of power.

failing that if you want to get your hands dirty learning about your
computer, learning how to edit text files and show off to your friends
once you figure out some cool new trick, the Windows Shell scene might
be right up your alley, i started there and moved over to linux, i still
miss it a bit (just wait until i get a second hard drive though, then
i'll be loving things :).

checkout litestep (the main standard shell)
for information and links :
   o   floach.pimpin.net
   o   www.desktopian.org
   o   www.shellfront.org
   o   www.ls2k.org
   o   www.litestep.net (its currently down though, because its part
of         themes.org)

you might want to look out for 'LSD4P' or something (litestep for the
people) its a distro for newbies,

the other option (possibly better for a newbie to shells) is geoshell :
   o   news.geoshell.com
and all the stes above.

once you can comforatbly use the alternative shells for windows, you'll
be ready to realy try linux.

---andrew