Linux-Misc Digest #33, Volume #24                 Mon, 3 Apr 00 16:13:05 EDT

Contents:
  Re: serial port (Leonard Evens)
  Re: Distro Dystopia (brian moore)
  linux printing question... (Kevin J Dressel)
  Re: How to force the kernel to use a module? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  'ps' question (Intrepid)
  NIS (wally)
  bash special characters (Robin Becker)
  Re: RedHat 60 install freezes up on "Loading second stage ramdisk" (Lars Bonnesen)
  Re: pppd dies from SIGHUP (Madhusudan Singh)
  Re: Recommendations Please (Bastian)
  Password conversion during upgrade (Kerry Cox)
  Re: Mouse wont work in xfree86 (Dances With Crows)
  patch(1) (was Re: HELP!! kernel configuration problems) (Paul Kimoto)
  Star Office ("Dave")
  Re: Star Office (Dances With Crows)
  RedHat ISO Images ("Dheera Venkatraman")
  Re: lpr only prints as root (Harold Bower)
  Re: I want to send EOF to FIFO. (Aleksey)
  Re: "make menuconfig" hangs on RH 6.1 ("Eric Potter")
  archiving? (Davis Eric)
  Xserver broke? Stepped in s--t? (MrJack of LuLuland)

From: Leonard Evens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: serial port
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2000 13:37:31 -0500

> Can anyone tell me how to determine which unix device is assigned to my
> external serial port, and/or how to assign a device to this port?
> Thanks,
> Carson
> --
> Carson R. Wilcox
> Senior Architect
> DMR Consulting Group

> Before you buy.

Com 1 under Dos is /dev/ttyS0
Etc.
Also, look in /var/log/messages after you boot or use dmesg.

--

Leonard Evens      [EMAIL PROTECTED]      847-491-5537

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (brian moore)
Subject: Re: Distro Dystopia
Date: 3 Apr 2000 18:10:36 GMT

On Sat, 01 Apr 2000 02:59:59 GMT,
 David Steuber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I'm running the 2.2.10 kernel.  No big deal.  So I am a few patch
> levels behind.  Of course SuSE 6.2 ships with OSS for sound.  I have
> the <sarcasm>wonderful</sarcasm> AWE 64 Gold ISA PnP sound card on my
> machine.  OSS has been the only way to get the card to work.  OSS,
> inspite of its name, is not free.  Why is the word 'open' even used in
> a product name when the product is not free?  So here is the catch
> with OSS.  It is for users of the SuSE distribution it was shipped
> on.  Upgrading the kernel requires a reinstall.

Really?  OSS/Free (ie, the one that comes with the kernel) supports the
AWE64 just fine and dandy.  It's my sound card of choice (ie, good sound
and cheap).

See http://www.debian.org/Lists-Archives/debian-user-0003/msg02164.html
for a hint.

> But wait, there is more fun!  SuSE 6.2 shipped with an out of date
> GCC.  6.4 fixes that.  I am not able to pay for food _and_ an upgrade
> at this point.  No more on that.  Anyway, it turned out to be easy to
> simply download and build the latest GCC from the GNU ftp site.  Now I
> have two versions of GCC on my system.  My brain is of very limited
> capacity and this confuses me.  Which include files will be used?  I
> don't know!  I put the new version in /usr/local/bin.  The SuSE
> version is in /usr/bin.  I can fix the path to put /usr/local/bin
> ahead of /usr/bin, but that probably doesn't settle the include file
> problem.  Or the lib file problem.

An out of date gcc?  Considering 2.7.2.3 is still recommended for the
kernel, I highly doubt it's outdated.

>From the current 'Changes' file:

|    Note that the latest compilers (egcs, pgcc, gcc 2.8) may do Bad
| Things while compiling your kernel, particularly if absurd
| optimizations (like -O9) are used.  Caveat emptor.  Currently, the only
| C compiler available in a binary distribution is egcs.  Version 1.0.3
| seems okay; if you have to have a binary, you may be successful using
| that.  In general, however, gcc-2.7.2.3 is known to be stable, while
| egcs and others have not been as thoroughly tested yet.

> Does this mean there is no room for packaged distributions?  No, not
> at all.  I just think they should all follow some standards so that it
> isn't impossible to build a single, distribution neutral release of a
> large application.

Install Debian.

--
Brian Moore                       | Of course vi is God's editor.
      Sysadmin, C/Perl Hacker     | If He used Emacs, He'd still be waiting

------------------------------

From: Kevin J Dressel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: linux printing question...
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2000 12:34:29 -0500

I've got a Panasonic KX-P4410 Laser printer (it is old, but it works
well) that I can get to work with Redhat linux via their printtool.
However, because the printer makes poor use of its memory (having only
512kb), it is impossible to print out pictures, etc. (on text works
good) with it.  I was wondering if one of the available queing programs
can feed the printer only a little bit of data at a time so that I don't
get buffer overruns.  I currently use lp (or whatever the most common
one is).  I've tried to get pdq to work, but have not had much luck with
it.  BTW, it is postscript capable (or at least it seems to be).

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
Kevin
           ===> AllAdvantage.Com <===

http://www.alladvantage.com/go.asp?refid=HCF-292

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,linux.redhat.misc,linux.redhat.install
Subject: Re: How to force the kernel to use a module?
Date: 3 Apr 2000 10:29:49 -0700

In article <8ca8pm$ft$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...

>Is there any way to force the kernel to use SYM53C8xx?
>I tried to edit /etc/conf.modules but it didn't work.

Try 'rmmod' and 'ismod'.

Nasser

------------------------------

From: Intrepid <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: 'ps' question
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2000 18:15:40 GMT

After my Linux box crashed last sat, I can't get all the processes from
'ps -ef' as before.

What could possibly make 'ps -ef' show partial listing?

From: wally <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: NIS
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2000 18:30:16 GMT

WHAT DO I DO NEXT?
THIS IS MY COPY OF MY /etc/yp.conf FILE

# /etc/yp.conf -----ypbind configuration file
#valid entries are
banny 192.168.1.6    ( MY CLIENT ADD)

#domain NISDOMAIN server HOSTNAME
#use server HOSTNAME for domain NISDOMAIN
dt.tell 2000.com    (MY SERVER ADD)

# use broadcast on the local net for the domain
#
ypserver shell     (MY DOMAINNAME)

#use server HOSTNAME for the local the local domain
#the IP-add
192.168.1.4         (MY SERVER ADD)
 1)  IS THIS FILE WELL FILLED?

THIS IS THE ERROR I GET WHEN:
 ypwhich --- can't yp_bind:Reason:Domain not bound

yppasswd --- YPBINDPROC_DOMAIN:Domain not bound
             No such map passwd.byname.Reason:can't bind to server which
              serves this domain
I HAVE USED ping B/W THE SERVER & CLIENT IT WORKS WELL.
WHAT DO I DO ?

From: Robin Becker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: bash special characters
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2000 19:35:19 +0100

In an older version of bash I was able to use auto completion of paths
with the colon character in them eg /c:/Program Files etc. In the
version of bash in Suse 6.3 I find this is no longer true.

I looked through the man page, but couldn't find out what affects the
auto completion so that /c\: auto-completes, but /c: doesn't.

Any bash gurus?
--
Robin Becker

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Lars Bonnesen)
Subject: Re: RedHat 60 install freezes up on "Loading second stage ramdisk"
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2000 18:38:08 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Steve) wrote:

>Sounds like it might be trying to create some swap space for itself
>and runs into problems.  I'd give the hard disk a thorough going over
>with Norton and other such utilities.
>
>You may try asking the question to the site admins from where you're
>d/ling the stuff from, it might be something that they're familiar
>with.

I am the site admin myself. (-;

------------------------------

From: Madhusudan Singh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: pppd dies from SIGHUP
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2000 14:53:41 -0400

Try using the noauth option. I had the same problem once.

Hope it helps,
Madhusudan Singh.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bastian)
Subject: Re: Recommendations Please
Date: 03 Apr 2000 18:55:23 GMT

Yeah, but you won't get the documentation that makes such a distro "valuable"
for a newbie!

Bastian

------------------------------

From: Kerry Cox <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Password conversion during upgrade
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2000 13:00:26 -0600

==============E09AD5CD03AB0660953BCAFD

I have a machine that I inherited when I came to work here that has over
300 users running Red Hat 6.0.  Whomever set up this box did not use
shadow passwords or MD5 encryption.  I would like to upgrade this box to
the latest Red Hat 6.2, but was concerned about the encryption.  If I
upgrade it and use MD5 and shadow passwords, what will happen to the
/etc/passwd file which now simply has those users' passwords in
encrypted format?  Will there be any problem?
Thanks.
KJ

--
.-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-.
| Kerry J. Cox         KSL                              |

==============E09AD5CD03AB0660953BCAFD

I have a machine that I inherited when I came to work here that has over
300 users running Red Hat 6.0.&nbsp; Whomever set up this box did not use
shadow passwords or MD5 encryption.&nbsp; I would like to upgrade this
box to the latest Red Hat 6.2, but was concerned about the encryption.&nbsp;
If I upgrade it and use MD5 and shadow passwords, what will happen to the
/etc/passwd file which now simply has those users' passwords in encrypted
format?&nbsp; Will there be any problem?
<pre>--&nbsp;
.-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-.
| Kerry J. Cox&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
|KSL&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
| |
| [EMAIL PROTECTED]&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; System
|Administrator&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
| (801) 575-7771&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <A
|HREF="http://www.ksl.com">http://www.ksl.com</A>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
| |
| ICQ# 37681165&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <A
|HREF="http://quasi.ksl.com/linux/">http://quasi.ksl.com/linux/</A>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
| |
`-------------------------------------------------------'</pre>
&nbsp;</html>

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: Mouse wont work in xfree86
Date: 03 Apr 2000 15:07:34 EDT

On Mon, 03 Apr 2000 15:30:36 GMT, Phil
<<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> shouted forth into the ether:
>ive installed linux andd setup the x-windows interface by using the
>xfree86config file but cannot get the mouse to work when accessing xfree.

More info, please.  What kind of a mouse is this?  If it's USB, you
probably should get a USB-to-PS/2 adapter and use that.  If it's PS/2,
then every PS/2 mouse should work if the following lines are in your
/etc/X11/XF86Config (RedHat) or /etc/XF86Config (others):

Section "Pointer"
  Protocol              "PS/2"
  Device                "/dev/psaux"
  #Emulate3Buttons   #only use if your mouse only has 2 buttons
  #3ButtonTimeOut  50   #ditto
EndSection

Some PS/2 mice will work with more advanced protocols, like "IMPS/2" for
Microsoft Intellimice.  Try that out and see.  Or, if you can, try the
program "XF86Setup".  It will allow you to test out several mouse
protocols in a graphical environment, so you can find the one that works
best.  HTH,

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows              \###| Programmers are playwrights
There is no Darkness in Eternity         \##| Computers are lousy actors

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Paul Kimoto)
Subject: patch(1) (was Re: HELP!! kernel configuration problems)
Date: 3 Apr 2000 15:17:00 -0500

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Michael Kelly wrote:
> Speaking of patching, what exactly is the mechanism with patch?
> I was playing around with it and didn't really fathom how it works.
> Does it alter config files and then your recompile the kernel?
> The man pages weren't very intuitive.

Say you have two files, or two (source-code) directories (or directory
trees).  Roughly, the diff(1) program will generate a line-by-line list of
the differences between the two versions.  (Because it works on the basis
of lines, it's not practical to use for non-text files.)

The patch(1) program can use the generated "patch" or "diff" file to turn
one version into the other.

All it does is change <file, old version> into <file, new version>.  In the
case of the kernel, it does not do anything to the configuration and does
not do any compiling or the like.

--
Paul Kimoto             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

------------------------------

From: "Dave" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Star Office
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2000 20:19:24 +0100

Hi,
can anyone help with this newbie's problem?

Now that I've got Linux running I'd like to install further application and
turn it into a working system.
 I'm trying to install Star Office, but as the rpm unpacks itself to a
directory (/opt) it hangs up part way through. An error message appears
indicating a lack of drive space.

I think that the problem is because Star Office is trying to install into my
boot partition, a small partition below the 1024 cylinder limit. Is this the
problem, and if so, is there a way of forcing the installation into a
drive/directory of my choosing?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: Star Office
Date: 03 Apr 2000 15:31:10 EDT

On Mon, 3 Apr 2000 20:19:24 +0100, Dave
<<8caqrm$afm$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> shouted forth into the ether:
>Now that I've got Linux running I'd like to install further application and
>turn it into a working system.
> I'm trying to install Star Office, but as the rpm unpacks itself to a
>directory (/opt) it hangs up part way through. An error message appears
>indicating a lack of drive space.
>I think that the problem is because Star Office is trying to install into my
>boot partition, a small partition below the 1024 cylinder limit. Is this the

Hmm.  Do you mean /boot or / ?  It shouldn't ever try to install itself
into /boot.  However, the default is /opt, and /opt hangs off / in most
cases.

You have a couple of options, the easiest of which might depend on some
things.  If you have a comfortably sized /usr partition, then you could do
this:

# cd / ; cp -a opt /usr/ ; rm -rf opt ; ln -sf /usr/opt opt

(Looks scary, but that just preserves anything that you might have in /opt
and makes /opt a symlink to /usr/opt, which probably has more space.)

I think there's also a place in the StarOffice installation where you can
specify the destination directory, but it's been so long since I've
installed it that I can't say for sure.  If that's true, try telling it
/usr/opt and things will be happier.  HTH,

From: "Dheera Venkatraman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RedHat ISO Images
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2000 19:34:11 GMT

Hi,
Does anyone know what the difference is between the 'zoot-i386.iso' and
'redhat-6.2-i386.iso' cd-rom images?

Thanks,
Dheera Venkatraman

From: Harold Bower <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: lpr only prints as root
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2000 19:37:28 GMT

frank mori hess wrote:

> When I try to print to a remote print server using lpr (I am using LPRng
> package) it works when I su to root but not when I am an ordinary user.
> Anyone have any ideas what is wrong?
>
> Frank Hess

Frank, you probably have some part of the system with different group
ownership than what LPRng will accept.  I had this happen with TurboLinux
6.0 while trying to get various filters installed.  Check all filter and
spool file groups and set them to whatever your LPR daemon expects (in the
case of TLW 6, it was 'daemon').

Hal

------------------------------

From: Aleksey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: I want to send EOF to FIFO.
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2000 19:32:37 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Villy Kruse) wrote:
> On 25 Mar 2000 18:41:10 GMT, David Efflandt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >On Sat, 25 Mar 2000 12:04:06 GMT, Aleksey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >>I run pipe getting data from the FIFO file like this
> >>
> >>prog1 < fifo_file | prog2 | prog3 &
> >>
> >>How can I send EOF character to FIFO or close my pipe?
> >
> >Not quite sure what you are trying to do here. A pipe usually closes
at
> >EOF, but a fifo can remain open indefinitely. I am not even sure if
> >sending EOF (Ctrl-D) to a fifo would make prog1 close unless it is
set up
> >to recognoze that.
> >

> If you send ctrl-D to a fifo the receiving sees a ctrl-D not different
> from any other character.
>
> The ctrl-D character is only magic on a tty driver and only if the tty
> is in icannon mode.
>
> The receiving end of a fifo sees an EOF when the sending end closes
the
> fifo. Then the reader must close the fifo and open it avain before it
> can be used. If the reader has opened the fifo in RDWR mode it will
> never see an EOF, as the write end of the fifo is kept open by the
> reader process.

The pipe "prog1 < fifo_file | prog2 | prog3 &" is a fragment of sh
script like this

prog1 < fifo_file | prog2 | prog3 &

while ...; do
  echo $some_data > fifo_file
done
#here I want to send EOF to prog1 and close it and the whole script.

I'm using FIFO, because pipe should not run twice.
prog1 reads data from stdin as text line by line and exit when recieves
 EOF.

\n is a new line
\r is a carriage return
\t tab character

Is a special symbol for EOF?

echo -e "<what_should_I_write_in_here?>"

From: "Eric Potter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: "make menuconfig" hangs on RH 6.1
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2000 19:49:20 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Roger Blake) wrote:
> When I initially installed RH 6.1 from a cheapbytes.com CD, I  did not
> install the development packages due to limited disk space. Afterwards I
> decided to build a new kernel, so individually installed packages such
> as gcc, as86, make, development libs, etc.
>
> The problem I'm running into is that when using the command
> "make menuconfig" the configuration menu never appears -- make
> just sits there spinning its wheels (no diagnostic messages),  for hours
> if it's left alone, and I wind up having to abort it.
>
> I'm assuming there is some package needed by menuconfig to work  that is
> still missing. Anyone know what might that be? (BTW, if I generate a
> .config file using menuconfig on another system and copy it over, the
> kernel does build with no problems. I'd still like to get menuconfig
> working on this sucker, though.)

'make menuconfig' uses ncurses, I believe.
How about 'make config' or 'make xconfig'?  Do they work?

------------------------------

From: Davis Eric <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: archiving?
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2000 19:38:35 GMT

Hi, there,

Due to the slow speed of the nerwork, I decided to archive the files on
a machine on several floppy disks and then copy them to the other
machines. This will save the time on the slow ftp.

But I don't know how to do this. Suppose that I have a file which is
more than 1.44M after it is zipped. How can I archive it on sevral
seprate disks? Can I use tar or something like this?

Any hints will be  welcome.

Davis,
--
I do not feel shameful if I was and am an idiot; I
will feel shameful if I haven't realized it.

From: MrJack of LuLuland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Xserver broke? Stepped in s--t?
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2000 20:02:23 GMT

Hi patient souls,

My X server has quit working. It surprised me with "can't open
default font "fixed" one fine day, and I can't get it to run since.

I went and tried installing the new XFree86 v4.0 hoping to replace some
damaged file or whatever. No success. Now I get the below, from
/var/log/XFree86.0.log:

<start log>
Operating System: Linux 2.3.46 i686 [ELF]

<note I have Mandrake Linux 7 which I believe is Linux kernel 2.1.4. The
above version number may have come from a USB backport I installed. Talk
about stepping into it! Don't believe I had any noticeable problems
after the backport install?>

<continue log>
Module Loader present
(==) Log file: "/var/log/XFree86.0.log", Time: Mon Apr  3 15:53:21 2000
(==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/XF86Config"
Parse warning on line 82 of section Keyboard in file /etc/X11/XF86Config
        Ignoring obsolete keyword "LeftAlt".
Parse error on line 82 of section Keyboard in file /etc/X11/XF86Config
        "Meta" is not a valid keyword in this section.
(EE) Problem parsing the config file
(EE) Error from xf86HandleConfigFile()

Fatal server error:
no screens found