Linux-Misc Digest #33, Volume #27                 Mon, 5 Feb 01 20:13:04 EST

Contents:
  Newbie: programming? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Ipchains DROP target reporting with 2.4.x kernel (Robert Lynch)
  newbie - system() or exec() ("Michal Kolesar")
  Re: Multibooting 5 OSs => Win98, NT4, Linux, Solaris 8 and Unixware 7 - HOW TO???
(Dean C. Harris)
  RedHat 7.0 and WABI ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: setup issue:  boot partition size too big
  Re: HELP: LILO on Deskstart 45 gig
  Re: POp 3 delays ("Gero H. Marten")
  Re: Newbie: programming? (Michael Heiming)
  Re: How do I setup an HP 842C printer? (Mark Bratcher)
  Re: Compile from Micro soft access to Linux (Michael Heiming)
  Re: Newbie: programming? (Mark Bratcher)
  SuSe won't play audio cds ... ? ("Mark")
  Re: How can I install RH 7.0 on an ATA100 harddrive ? (Starrwolf)
  Can't load binfmt_misc.o ("David J. Topper")
  Does JDK 1.3 work with kernel 2.4? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Where to find a RH 7.1 beta CD? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: setup issue:  boot partition size too big (Sven Heinecke)
  Re: Which Linux distribution is best? (Arctic Storm)
  Re: Emacs question (Bob Hauck)
  System V init script (Michael Mullins)
  Re: MS to Enforce Registration - or Else (Steve Mading)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Newbie: programming?
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 21:12:27 GMT

I have recently switched to Linux, and am ready to get started
programming. I have a little experience programming with Borland C++
Builder, and M$ Visual Basic, both of which are exclusively for
Windows. Now, I took a look at GTK, and I have NEVER seen anything so
complicated! I also could not figure out Glade, which is obviously a
tool for making GTK programs.

Where should I start? Should I start with C++? I would like to make
programs with GUI's (not text-based). Any guidance would be a HUGE
help. What language, how to get started, etc.

Thanks,
Jason.

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: Robert Lynch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Ipchains DROP target reporting with 2.4.x kernel
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 21:20:57 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>   [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > Hiya-
> >
> > I am using an old box as a firewall on my home system, it has a
> > 2.4.x kernel, and uses netfilter and the simple masq script from:
> >
> > http://netfilter.kernelnotes.org/unreliable-guides/NAT-HOWTO-4.html
> >
> > together with an added set of targets:
> >
> > iptables -N logit
> > iptables -A logit -j LOG --log-level warning --log-prefix "logit:
> > "
> > iptables -A logit -j DROP
> >
> > so I can pick off the nature of DROP'ed packets.
>
> I'd be curious as to what your firewall box is like.  Are you by any
> chance using the single floppy based setup from the Linux Router
> Project?
>
> Sent via Deja.com
> http://www.deja.com/

(Dang it!  I see the subject of my post is slightly misleading,
it should be "ipTABLES..." NOT "ipCHAINS...")

No, it's an old IBM ThinkPad my brother gave me. 64MB of RAM and
a 2G drive.  This is ideal since it has its own mouse and screen,
and no fan, so it is more or less totally silent.  I first
installed RH 7.0, then went in and removed all services and
unnecessary packages (including X; I got the number of total
packages down to 153 total, many of which are gcc and friends,
used for kernel compilation).  I use SSH to administer the box.
I've compiled and installed the 2.4.x kernel from a tarball, so I
can use netfilter/iptables supported in the kernel.

The firewall currently has one Netgear FA410TX PCMCIA card
connected to my box, and a Meghertz 10/100 PCMCIA modem card for
a PPP connection to my current ISP.  I'm about to get (A)DSL, at
which time I will deploy a second Netgear FA410TX PCMCIA card for
the other interface, replacing the Megahertz modem.  I've also
ordered a cheap (US$65, delivered) Netgear 5-port switch which
will be used to fan out from the firewall to my own box, and to a
Windows box we also use for work-related items.

Cheers,

Bob L.
--
Robert Lynch-Berkeley CA [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Michal Kolesar" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: newbie - system() or exec()
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2001 14:37:33 +0100

Hi,

Is possible save std output of $subject functions to a variable in C?

I would like run standard shell command from C program (trough
system() function in example) and  I would like use the output of that
command
for next manipulate in the C program.

ex:

char *output;
output = system("ls -lap");

--

S pozdravem,
Michal Kolesar

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dean C. Harris)
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.install,comp.unix.solaris,alt.solaris.x86
Subject: Re: Multibooting 5 OSs => Win98, NT4, Linux, Solaris 8 and Unixware 7 - HOW
TO???
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 21:42:45 GMT

On Mon, 05 Feb 2001 03:43:37 GMT, "dwalton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>The new version of Partition Magic claims to allow you to boot Win98, Linux
>and WinNt as well as setup the partitions for each one from within Windows
>once it is installed
>http://www.powerquest.com/partitionmagic/

Hmm.  I have the latest version.  I should read the manual some
time....

Nahhhh......

:)

Dean

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RedHat 7.0 and WABI
Date: 5 Feb 2001 21:47:56 GMT

I have recently rebuilt my long-standing system which has run
several releases of slackware and then redhat 6.x.  Since
the rebuild to RH7.0, I have been unable to run WABI (Sun's old
Windoze 3.x-under-linux environment).  Has anyone else tried
to run  WABI under RH7, and, if so, did it still work?

--
Chris Cox, N0UK/G4JEC                       NIC Handle: CC345
UnitedHealthGroup, Inc., MN10-W116, UNIX Services & Consulting

------------------------------

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Re: setup issue:  boot partition size too big
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2001 16:57:37 -0500

In your case, I would suggest using a boot disk. The windows partition will
be the active one, and anyone who boots the computer without the floppy will
see windows.You on the other hand will have the floppy and can boot linux.

You can use partition magic 5.0 and up I think on large drives ,   >8.4 gig
.

Resize the widows partition so that the 5 gig is free. and put in an
Extended msdos partition. FDIsk in msdos usually does this when you try to
create more than one logical drive

Divide the 5 gig into sub partitions for the root partition, the /home ,
/var, /tmp etc.
Do not forget to specify some area as swap space .

This will not cause problems with windows ,so long as you stick to the win9x
line .

NT4 has a Disk Administrator that has sometimes trashed linux file systems.
NT 5 will see that new partitions have been added to the system.
Win98 will blissfully chug along.

Note that once in linux, you can mount any fat23 partitions  as "vfat" and
see all the long file names. Do not use "msdos" with it.
WIndows , on the other hand, cannot access ext2 file systems just yet.
There is a tool Explore2fs or something that allows you to access it.

hth

news:95mi0f$l0q$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: HELP: LILO on Deskstart 45 gig
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2001 16:59:57 -0500

did you set a partition as "active" ?

news:95mftb$b35$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Gero H. Marten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: POp 3 delays
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 20:32:52 +0100

> When a user (using the netscape messenger client) tries to get his email
> - from within our network - it can take several minutes to retrieve the
> mail.  My mail server is a P 120 with 64 meg of ram - running whatever
> version of Sendmail and a Pop 3 client that come packaged with Caldera
> Open Linux 2.4.
>
> I once had a mail server that was a 386 with 4 meg of ram - running
> Caldera 1.4.  It never had any problems, and users got their email
> instantly - all of the time.  I had to upgrade because sendmail 8.8 had
> too many relay problems.
>
> Why is this version so much slower - is there something that  can do
> with the sendmail.cf file to speed things up - this is ridiculous.

Long loading times sound like DNS problems. Make sure, all IP's
Sendmail and Netscape want to resolve are in /etc/hosts or setup a
DNS-server.

--
Gero H. Marten

"Computers are like air conditioners:
They stop working properly if you open windows."

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 22:56:21 +0100
From: Michael Heiming <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Newbie: programming?

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I have recently switched to Linux, and am ready to get started
> programming. I have a little experience programming with Borland C++
> Builder, and M$ Visual Basic, both of which are exclusively for
> Windows. Now, I took a look at GTK, and I have NEVER seen anything so
> complicated! I also could not figure out Glade, which is obviously a
> tool for making GTK programs.
>
> Where should I start? Should I start with C++? I would like to make
> programs with GUI's (not text-based). Any guidance would be a HUGE
> help. What language, how to get started, etc.
>
> Thanks,
> Jason.
>
> Sent via Deja.com
> http://www.deja.com/

Hello,

take a look at tcl,

tcl8.0

should be on your distro/box/sure you find it online, there are some
examples that come with tcl.

I haven't done much with it, as I like CLI most, but from what you
write, it
could be something worth looking at...:-)

Good luck

Michael Heiming

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mark Bratcher)
Subject: Re: How do I setup an HP 842C printer?
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 22:22:10 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Manatee wrote:
>I am using Red Hat 6.1. And I cannot figure out how to setup my printer.
>I've used printtool and tried using printers listed that seemed close to
>the 842C but got no response from my printer.
>
>I went to www.linuxprinting.org but do not understand what I need to do to
>get this printer working.
>
>Could someone explain in simple terms how I can get my printer working?
>
>Thank you!

When you ran printtool, did you try selecting cdj550 or hpdj?
If so, what were your results?

--
Mark Bratcher
To reply, remove _UNSPAM from my email address

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 23:03:46 +0100
From: Michael Heiming <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Compile from Micro soft access to Linux

Carl Kvanvig wrote:

> Is there software that will compile a micro soft based access program into
> linux?

IMHO there is nothing that could read a MS Access .mdb direct to Linux.

But I asume that you mostly want the data?

Michael Heiming

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mark Bratcher)
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 22:32:22 GMT

In article <95n4vh$hoq$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>I have recently switched to Linux, and am ready to get started
>programming. I have a little experience programming with Borland C++
>Builder, and M$ Visual Basic, both of which are exclusively for
>Windows. Now, I took a look at GTK, and I have NEVER seen anything so
>complicated! I also could not figure out Glade, which is obviously a
>tool for making GTK programs.
>
>Where should I start? Should I start with C++? I would like to make
>programs with GUI's (not text-based). Any guidance would be a HUGE
>help. What language, how to get started, etc.
>
>Thanks,
>Jason.

In addition to the previously posted suggestion to check out
TCL/TK (which will allow you to write scripts that do nice GUI
apps), you should get a couple of programming books. Check out
GTK and QT which are both very popular UI object libraries.

You'll have to get your hands dirty in this stuff and learn a
bit of what goes on under the hood as compared to the WIndows
programming IDEs which lull you into a sense of knowledge. :-)

Once you get into a couple of programming examples, it will not
be as complicated to you. The unknown is always a bit fearful. :-)

From: "Mark" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: SuSe won't play audio cds ... ?
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2001 14:55:56 -0800

ugga!

    i've got SuSE 7.0 + KDE2 here on a machine with an IDE CD ROM drive.
Now, the problem is that the cd playing software simply refuses to see that
there is an audio cd in the drive.

    /dev/cdrom does correctly point to /dev/hdb, which is the CD device.
The software (kscd) is configured to look for that device.

    Any ideas what else I might be missing?

    thanks!

    mark.

From: Starrwolf <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How can I install RH 7.0 on an ATA100 harddrive ?
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 23:30:09 -0000

See my reply to the Promis raid 100 post. good luck

From: "David J. Topper" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Can't load binfmt_misc.o
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 15:18:15 -0500

Hi all,

I'm setting up some semi-identical machines.  One in particular is
giving me trouble.  I can't seem to get the module binfmt_misc.o to
load.  I'm 99% sure it's because of some other module I'm not loading.

Anyone have an idea or suggestion?  The error I get is that the device /
resource is busy.  This is on a Slackware 7.1 box.

Email responses preferred.

Thanks,

DT
--
Technical Director, Virginia Center for Computer Music
http://www.people.virginia.edu/~djt7p

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.lang.java.misc
Subject: Does JDK 1.3 work with kernel 2.4?
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 23:41:14 GMT

Sorry for such an obvious question, but I can't seem to find a
definitive answer digging around DejaNews, so I'll just ask it
outright:

Does the Sun JDK 1.3 work with Kernel 2.4?  Anyone out there using it?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Where to find a RH 7.1 beta CD?
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 23:44:05 GMT

Does anyone know of a website which sells a RH 7.1 beta CD?  (probably
2 CD's)   I checked some of the sites like Cheapbytes, LSL, and KRUD,
but no luck.  Any suggestions?

------------------------------

From: Sven Heinecke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.questions
Date: 6 Feb 2001 00:09:25 GMT

In comp.os.linux.misc [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> In your case, I would suggest using a boot disk. The windows partition will
> be the active one, and anyone who boots the computer without the floppy will
> see windows.You on the other hand will have the floppy and can boot linux.

I think the latest LILO version supports boot partitions outside of
sector 1024, but the floppy solution will work 100%.

so far

Sven

------------------------------

From: Arctic Storm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Which Linux distribution is best?
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2001 00:23:09 GMT

> Yeh! This arctic storm seems to be nothing but a bit of hot air.
> I started out on Linux with a 486 with 8 megs of RAM!
> (And I wrote my final year project and project report on that (In
> Wordperfect 8 no less)).
>
> Some people seem to talk a lot of bull when it comes to minimum
> requirements these days.

I was mearly speaking from a personal experience.  As I stated, 32 MB is
sufficient to run Linux, as a cheeze burger with fries is sufficient to
feed Nicole Kidman on a date.
When you multitask many applications, the Earth will rotate about its axis,
and revolve around the Sun many times, as you patiently wait for the screen
to repaint new windows.  By then, your ears will have grown accustomed to
the deafening rumble of the hard drive, as it swaps memory with RAM, and
your brains will have learned to reject the annoying rattle to uncover the
background serenity.  You will notice cobwebs growing between your fingers,
and see the sun rise and set out of your window, and soon the leaves will
turn color as trees shed its foliage.  The original frustration of wating
will eventually get lost in the sands of time.
My opinion is that 32 MB of RAM won't let you do what a "today's computer"
should let you do.  Alice asked the Rabbit, "Why are you constantly
running?", and the Rabbit replied, "To stay in the same place."  Time will
progress, and unless you progress with time, you will fall behind.
Please understand that this is my personal opinion, and I was merely trying
to help the original post by presenting a modern view.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Hauck)
Subject: Re: Emacs question
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2001 00:44:18 GMT

On Mon, 5 Feb 2001 12:08:40 +0100, Jan Vandesompele
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I know there is a way to make emacs automatically organise the indentation
>in scripts and code you're editing. Does anyone know how you can do that?

In most modes you can select a region and then do, "M-x indent-region".
There's also "M-x indent-buffer".  However that won't change a statement
from a single line to a multi-line.  Maybe there's another gadget I'm
not familiar with <g>.

--
 -| Bob Hauck
 -| To Whom You Are Speaking

------------------------------

From: Michael Mullins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: System V init script
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2001 00:47:48 +0000

I need an init script to run Lotus Domino at startup.
I have a script in /etc/rc.d/init.d which is partially working.

I need to run a binary as a user other than root.

Binary              /usr/local/domino/bin/server
Config file        /lotus/data/notes.ini
User                lotus

The server binary needs to see the config file (run in same directory at
startup) otherwise it bombs out

Can anyone suggest how I can run it as the lotus user?

Many thanks in advance

------------------------------

From: Steve Mading <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: MS to Enforce Registration - or Else
Date: 6 Feb 2001 00:53:58 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: Steve Mading wrote:
:>
:> In comp.os.linux.advocacy Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
:> : "Peter T. Breuer" wrote:
:> :>
:> :> In comp.os.linux.misc Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
:> :> > John Hasler wrote:
:> :> >>
:> :> >> Walt writes:
:> :> >> > The dictionary definition of "atheist" is, "one who denies the existence
:> :> >> > of God."
:> :> >>
:> :> >> Make that "_a_ dictionary definition": at best an approximation.  I (an
:> :> >> atheist) prefer this definition: "one who denies the existence of your
:> :> >> imaginary friend while not claiming to have one of his own".
:> :> >>
:> :> >> > That is definitely an active belief.
:> :> >>
:> :> >> "Does not believe" is not "believes not".
:> :>
:> :> > Geeze, you're as dogmatic as the people you deride.
:> :>
:> :> Uh, fella, this is as basic a piece of modal logic as one can get.
:> :>
:> :> You seem to be unaware of the logic of modalities like belief, proof,
:> :> necessity, obligation, and so on. Id normally direct you to the
:> :> library, but let's try ...
:> :>
:> :> Basically the logical operators "belief" and "not" do not commute, OK?
:> :> I gave you a clearer example of how that can happen using Goedels proof
:> :> operator ("prove not" != "not prove"), but the same goes for modal
:> :> operators like belief, obligation, and so on.
:> :>
:> :> Now you know what the subject area is called - it's an important and
:> :> large one - you can look it up.
:> :>
:> :> Peter
:>
:> : There are only 3 positions to take on a proposition
:> : 1) Belief that the proposition is true.
:> : 2) "I don't know"
:> : 3) Belief that the proposition is not true.
:>
:> : One cannot claim that one is neither (1) nor (2), and still TOTALLY
:> : without a belief.
:>
:> You are right.  Too bad for your argument, though, that atheists
:> often *do* say (2), and your implication that all atheists say

: Then they aren't atheists, they are agnostics.

The terms are not mutually exclusive.