From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: what is this failure?
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2000 17:05:05 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  PoD <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >
> > On start-up (RedHat6.2) I get:
> >
> > modprobe: /lib/modules/2.2.14-5.0/misc/opl3.o: insmod
> > /lib/modules/2.2.14-5.0/misc/opl3.o failed
> >
> > What is opl3 anyway and how can I fix it?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Wroot
> >

> OPL3 is an FM synthesis chip found on many sound cards.
> Have you run /usr/sbin/sndconfig?
>
> PoD.

Yes, and my sound seems to be all right.

Wroot

From: Greg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Help!! Ipchains  I'm stuck
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2000 17:26:31 GMT

Subject:
             HELP!! IPCHAINS i'm stuck
        Date:
             Mon, 03 Jul 2000 15:33:52 GMT
        From:
             Greg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  Newsgroups:
             uk.comp.os.linux

I'm running a linux rh6.1 box with 3 working nic cards as follows.

1. eth0 internal 192.168.1.1
2  eth1 @home cable modem 24.x.x.169
3  eth2 @home cable modem 24.x.x.166    (not on the same subnets)

I have a lan setup attached to the network all working fine.
using 192.168.1.2...... 3....... 4...... 5........ windows pc's

Currently i have ipchains/masq setup ok giving internet acecess from
eth1(cable) to all the pc's
on the network.

I would like to route traffic from eth2 ( 2nd cable ip)  to one or more
of the windows
pc's.  I'm currently using ipchains w/masq.  Basic setup listed below:

Can you tell me how to route the second cable IP eth2 to another
internal IP address on my lan.   My guess was I needed to add the 2nd
gateway.
But i'm confussed when i added the 2nd gateway and rebooted..... my box
hung at the SENDMAIL for a few minnets and then moved on.  when i got
into the box the other pc's could not see the Internet at all.   my
route table had both gatways ass the default like this
destination     gateway         genmask     iface
default           24.x.x.169     0.0.0.0        eth1
default           24.x.x.166     0.0.0.0        eth2

Notes:   My cable goes into a switch/hub   see below:

                                               CABLE
                         (24.x.x.169) -------- |  --------- (24.x.x.166)

                                                   HUB

             |                |
|                          |                  |
          PC2          PC3               LINUX
PC4            PC5
192.168.1.2    192.168.1.3       192.168.1.1       192.168.1.4
192.168.1.5

Ok  with/without the second gateway defined I can ping all the IP
addresses including the 2 external cable IP's

Any help would be appreciated.

IPCONFIG RULES I HAVE

ipchains -F input
ipchains -F output
ipchains -F forward

ipchains -P forward DENY

ipchains -A forward -i eth1 -s 192.168.1.0/024 -d 192.168.1.0/24 -j
ACCEPT
ipchains -A forward -i eth2 -s 192.168.1.0/024 -d 192.168.1.0/24 -j
ACCEPT

ipchains -A forward -i eth1 -s 192.168.1.2 -j MASQ
ipchains -A forward -i eth1 -s 192.168.1.3 -j MASQ

ipchains -A forward -i eth2 -s 192.168.1.4 -j MASQ
ipchains -A forward -i eth2 -s 192.168.1.5 -j MASQ

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dave Brown)
Subject: Re: Bash: expand tilde in prompt?
Date: 3 Jul 2000 12:31:13 -0500

In article <8jqc2u$m5e$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Jogar the Barbarian wrote:
> I can't seem to figure out how to get my literal home directory in my prompt
>instead of the tilde. Help??
>--
>Greg Ackerson -- Chief IT Geek at Hernandez Engineering

If you'll settle for just the "basename", you can replace \w with \W.

If you'd like the full path name, use '$PWD' (must be single-quoted)
instead.

--
Dave Brown  Austin, TX

------------------------------

From: Jim McIntyre <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: lilo from diskette
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2000 17:49:13 GMT

Next time you boot your machine, enter "linux single" at the boot prompt.
Then run /sbin/lilo as root. That might clear up your boot problem. from
there, read the bootdisk HOWTO.

------------------------------

From: John Hasler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: newsreader for Linux?
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2000 15:50:23 GMT

William Wueppelmann writes:
> Everyone knows that mail is the ultimate MUA,...

I had to drag my wife kicking and screaming away from mail to mutt.  After
about six months she is beginning to grudgingly admit that it might have a
few desireable features.  I also had to drag her away from rn for news.
She still hates trn, but I refused to maintain rn anymore.

> ...if you can't happily read news using sed and more,...

Sed?  Wrong tool.
--
John Hasler
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Bob Martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2000 18:03:46 +0000

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> On start-up (RedHat6.2) I get:
>
> modprobe: /lib/modules/2.2.14-5.0/misc/opl3.o: insmod
> /lib/modules/2.2.14-5.0/misc/opl3.o failed
>
> What is opl3 anyway and how can I fix it?

The module opl3.o is failing to load, that is the driver for OPL3 chips
for some sound cards.
--

Bob Martin

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dave Brown)
Subject: Re: Windows Media Player for Linux???
Date: 3 Jul 2000 13:06:40 -0500

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Erik de Castro Lopo wrote:
>Dennis wrote:
>>
>> Many of the internet radio stations I listen to us MS, so I went to the
>> MS site to see if they have a UNIX/Linux client.  Heck, I couldn't find
>> Media Player anywhere - maybe they changed the name.  Does anyone know
>> if there is a version for Linux, or a program that will read the Media
>> Player's data stream?
>
>No, but I'm working on it :-).

I look forward to the day when Linux has enough leverage so that simply
notifying MS sites that their material is not compatible with Linux will
be enough to induce them to use compatible formats.  It would be nice if
the DOJ suit simply required MS to use "standards".

I often e-mail webmasters that use formats for which plug-ins are not
available for Linux browsers to notify them that their material is being
ignored by a portion of their potential customer base because of their
choice of formats.

It seems to me analogous to a telemarketer calling you up and telling you
that you need to get a different telephone so they can try to sell you
something.

I personally don't have any problem leaving a website that chooses to post
incompatible material.

--
Dave Brown  Austin, TX

------------------------------

From: Duane <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: VMWare question
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2000 10:26:37 -0700

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> On Sat, 1 Jul 2000, Duane wrote:
>
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > > Dear Martin Skjöldebrand,
> > >
> > > After you soundon OSS please firstly try
> > >
> > > cat /dev/sndstat
> >
> > I suspect he meant:
> > cat /proc/sndstat
> > or perhaps:
> > cat /proc/asound/sndstat
>
> No. I do mean cat /dev/sndstat
>
> NOT cat /proc/sndstat NOT cat /proc/asound/sndstat
>
> Regards,
> zxc

No offense meant. I have /proc/asound/sndstat. I don't have
/dev/sndstat.

--
My real email is akamail.com@dclark (or something like that).

------------------------------

From: Praedor Tempus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Opera 4.0a core dump
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2000 12:58:21 -0600

I finally decided to try out the Opera browser.  I downloaded the
opera 4.0a browser, both deb and bzip2 file.  First, I tried installing
the deb file with kpackage.  Segfault.  I upgraded kpackage and now
cannot even start kpackage without a segfault (before the upgrade,
I could start it and dick with rpms).

I gave up on kpackage and went with the always trustworthy bzip file
version.  I decompressed opera into its binary and tried to start it.
Core dump.

Has anyone managed to get Opera 4.0a installed and running on linux?

I have Mandrake 7.1, latest updates.  Kernel is 2.2.16, glibc is
glibc-2.1.2-9mdk.

praedor

------------------------------

From: redtux <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: output from pty
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2000 20:20:18 +0000

Does anyone know how to recover all the output from a terminal session.
A program I ran stalled after generating more lines than I could access.

------------------------------

From: Natalia Muravieva <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: glibc upgrade
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2000 14:56:11 -0500

Does anybody know is it safe to upgrade glibc ?
I 've just upgraded RH4.2 to RH6.2 but glibc-2.1.3-16 didn't show up I
think because of dependencies. And now when I run rpm -uvh --test
glibc-2.1.3-16.alpha.rpm it shows me a lists of 15 failed dependencies.
If I run rpm -uvh -nodep glibc-2.1.3-16.alpha.rpm do I have to manually
upgrade every of these failed dependencies?

I'd appreciate any advice.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Grant Edwards)
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2000 19:33:04 GMT

On Mon, 3 Jul 2000 03:50:58 +0100, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> While some might claim the above is just my opinion, they're wrong.
>
>Rubbish. Of course it's JUST you're opinion.

Of course it is.

>If anything else were the case, why do all the other
>news/e-mail/editors EXIST?
>
>Answer: Because other people think THEY are the best.
>
>> It's a provable result of the basic structure of space-time.  String
>> theory and all that.
>
>You must be from a different quantum reality from me... I wonder at which
>point in time our two timelines diverged?
>:)

;)

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Here I am at the flea
                                  at               market but nobody is buying

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Grant Edwards)
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2000 19:33:58 GMT

On 02 Jul 2000 20:51:38 -0800, Floyd Davidson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Try using XEmacs or GNU-Emacs and the gnus macro package for
>reading news and email, and you will quickly toss the slrn/mutt
>combo into the past history bin.  There really isn't any
>comparison.

Many of the machines I use don't have the horsepower to run
emacs.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  PARDON me, am I
                                  at               speaking ENGLISH?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Barry Samuels)
Subject: Debian 2.1 upgrade failed  !!!
Date: 3 Jul 2000 19:46:50 GMT

Having been running Debian 2,1 for some time now I decided to
take the plunge and upgrade to Frozen.  I now have a ystem that
won't run.

Here is what I did, via HTTP, after making the relevant changes
to my sources.list:

1. apt-get update

2. apt-get -f -u --simulate dist-upgrade

3.  Examine output - no errors and everything looks
straightforward except that I want to keep a few packages among
the list to be removed. Balsa, kalendar, kexpress & webmaker are
marked for Hold. Nothing traumatic there.

4. apt-get -f -u -d dist-upgrade. Discover that there is not
enough room on the /var partition to hold all the packages to be
downloaded.  As I have a another partition which is used
normally to hold data to be written to CD I mount that partition
on /var/cache/apt/archives.

5. Try apt-get -f -u -d dist-upgrade again.  Start download.

6. Eight hours later all packages downloaded.

7.Try  apt-get -f -u --simulate dist-upgrade again.  No apparent
differences from previous time.

8. 2. apt-get -f -u dist-upgrade completes apparently without
problems.

9. Re-boot.  Notice that kernel 2.0.36 is still loading, not
2.2.12 as it should be.  Get as far as checking modules then
error messages, about undefined symbols, fly past at a rate of
knots.  Machine eventually hangs.

So it appears that, in its wisdom, apt-get did not upgrade the
kernel. Strange!  It appeared that, from the output of
dist-upgrade, all libraries and other parts of the system were
upgraded.

Having checked the list of packages, which are still on the
drive, there is no mention of kernel image.  The only package
with the word 'kernel' in it is kernel-package.  There is no
mention of kernel image in the output from apt-get -f -u
--simulate dist-upgrade.

I though that I might have been able to cure the problem, as I
have Debian 2.1 on my laptop, and I have the kernel source for
2.2.13, by creating a kernel image, together with a modules
directory, and copying them to the offending Debian partition
using OS/2.  I have OS/2 on the same machine and it has
read/write drivers for ext2 partitions.  The plan was then to
boot from a Debian rescue floppy and re-run lilo.  But no lilo
won't run because of a 'error in loading shared libraries'
problem.  I have tried running the lilo on the boot floppy and
the lilo in /sbin on the corrupted system but get the same error
message with both.

I have tried Tomsrtbt floppy as that has both lilo and libc on
it.  So after mounting my Debian partition on /mnt and entering
'lilo -r /mnt ' lilo does run but displays the following:
'first boot sector doesn't have a valid LILO signature'.

I wrote all 3 Debian partitions to a 4GB SCSI tape using 'dd'
before I started so I assume that I could do the reverse and
write the images back again to restore my original system.

I do not, however, understand what went wrong and even if I
restored to my original system I don't see why it wouldn't
happen again.  I would certainly prefer not to have to go
through that 8 hour download again.

Any observations, commiserations or suggestions would be
welcome.  Remember I can still read and write to the relevant
partitions using OS/2 if that may be of use.

Barry Samuels

my real e-mail address is:

barry (dot) samuels
@
btinternet (dot) com

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2000 19:50:03 GMT

> Is there a newsreader available for Linux? I get the news files via UUCP
> would like to read them in Linux instead of DOS. Thanks.

YOU'RE ALL A BUNCH A LOOZERS

There can be only one [newsreader]

http://www.ananova.com

:-)
--
Don't e-mail your response
Post it right here, but if you must, I'm also at

From: Foo Kwong Lee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Newbie CDR question
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2000 16:16:13 -0400

Hi everyone,

I recently burned my first cdr on linux (RH6.1). I used xcdroast to burn
a directory of RPM's that I downloaded. Unfortunately, I am unable to
mount or read that CD from Linux. I believe I chose Unix Rock-Ridge when
selecting the filesystem in xcdroast.

When attempting to mount the CD, the error I get is something like:

"wrong fs, bad superblock on CD, or too many filesystems mounted"

I tried the mount command with the -t option using all the filesystem
types listed on the man page to no avail. -t proc did give me something,
but it wasn't what's supposed to be on the CD.

Incidentally, I can read the CD in W95 (I dual boot), though some of the
filenames are missing the extensions.

I'd deeply appreciate any help.

Thanks.

F.K. Lee

------------------------------

From: Write tome <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: I used "make install" instead of "make bzImage" is this bad?
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2000 20:05:09 GMT

test

------------------------------

From: Alex Chudnovsky <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: How to use tar with mulitple files...
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2000 22:58:04 +0300

David Steuber wrote:

> Well, another way to go is a one liner:
>
> find . -name '*.tar.gz' -exec tar xvfz {} \;
>
> or
>
> ls *.tar.gz | xargs tar xvfz
Wouldn't work. The correct way is ls *.tar.gz | xargs -i tar xvfz "{}".
Else, you would get the situation like :
tar xfvz very_long_list_of_tar.gz's, which would result in the very same
situation being discussed
RTFM about xargs.

> The first one will recurse all subdirectorys.  The second one won't
> unless you do this:
>
> ls -R *.tar.gz | xargs tar xvfz
>
> "Beware of the above code.  I have merely proved it correct, not tried
> it" --- DEK
>
> I haven't even proved it correct.
It is not :-)

> --
> David Steuber   |   Hi!  My name is David Steuber, and I am
> NRA Member      |   a hoploholic.
>
> All bits are significant.  Some bits are more significant than others.
>         -- Charles Babbage Orwell

Alex Chudnovsky
e-mail : [EMAIL PROTECTED]
ICQ : 35559910

------------------------------

From: Alex Chudnovsky <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How to burn RPM package into a CD-R
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2000 22:50:55 +0300

Willie Loh wrote:

> What format should I use if I want to put RPM packages or Staroffice 5.2
> to CD, ISO or Joliet

It depends on where you're going to use disk. If you need to view your disk
from within MS Windows, use Joliet.
If you need to work with your disk in Linux, use RockRidge or plain ISO.
Don't use Joliet in this case, it would be of no use.
You can also use Joliet & RockRidge together. So you get all the bonuses :-)

Alex Chudnovsky
e-mail : [EMAIL PROTECTED]
ICQ : 35559910