Linux-Misc Digest #99, Volume #26                Sat, 21 Oct 00 13:13:03 EDT

Contents:
  Which Gcc version to compile Linux Kernel ? ("T.R. Donahue")
  Re: Linksys 10/100 PCI NIC (marvin greenberg)
  Re: IRC clients (Gregory Spath)
  Re: Linux PDA ("R. Huijbrechts")
  Re: Linksys 10/100 PCI NIC ("Micer")
  Re: FTP different? ("Micer")
  Re: MIcrosoft's web site won't quite work with Netscape ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Is there a MS Word (or substitute) for Linux? ("Jan Schaumann")
  Re: Is there a MS Word (or substitute) for Linux? (Bob Hauck)
  Re: Which windowing system? X-windows? (Equinox)
  Re: End-User Alternative to Windows ("Colin R. Day")
  Re: Which Gcc version to compile Linux Kernel ? (Paul Kimoto)
  Re: Linux accessing a printer hooked to ethernet. ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: What is SAMBA? ("Lamar Thomas")
  Re: Linksys 10/100 PCI NIC ("Micer")
  Re: What is SAMBA? (Desmond Coughlan)
  Re: What is SAMBA? ("Anonymous")
  2.4 KERNEL USB SUPPORT (Gotzon Berrojalbiz)
  daemon in init.d script (Beggar)
  Re: daemon in init.d script (Beggar)

From: "T.R. Donahue" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.system,alt.os.linux
Subject: Which Gcc version to compile Linux Kernel ?
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2000 16:22:31 +0200

During one of my Searches For Knowledge(tm) on the internet, I have stumbled
across some information related to kernel compilation that confused me
terribly. There is conflicting information available to which gcc version
should preferably be used to compile the linux kernel v2.2.16. There seem to
be people who claim that the kernel should preferably be compiled with Gcc
2.72.x instead of Gcc 2.95.x, due to some issues with 2.95.x, and the fact
that Linus himself still exclusively uses (and therefore tests) the kernel
with 2.72.x. I realize that this question has probably been asked before,
but when I do a search on, for example, deja, I get some results that say to
use Gcc 2.72.x, and some results that say to use Gcc 2.95.x. Now this might
be outdated info, but I can't help but wonder... So if anyone has info
regarding the use of Gcc 2.95.2 vs Gcc 2.72.3 with kernel compilations ?

Sincerely confused,
T.R. Donahue.

------------------------------

From: marvin greenberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linksys 10/100 PCI NIC
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2000 11:33:50 -0400

I've got this in my box, no problem.  Initially I had a straight RH6.2 distro (which
includes the tulip module prebuilt), and it worked first time.  Since then, I compiiled
support into my kernel, still works fine.

If you try to build the module and it failed, I'm not surprised that it didn't work.
You don't mentioned your linux distribution, which would help people respond to your
inquiry.

Marvin

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Gregory Spath)
Subject: Re: IRC clients
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2000 15:28:00 -0000

In <8sr6ce$eog$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
>Is there a version of Mirc that will run under Linux?

xchat.

--
Gregory Spath
[EMAIL PROTECTED]   http://freefall.homeip.net/

------------------------------

From: "R. Huijbrechts" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.palmtops,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot
Subject: Re: Linux PDA
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2000 14:43:31 GMT

Hi,
I believe Linux is good for (non-visual) backoffice systems.
Take a look at ibm visualage microedition if you want to develop a
milti-platform app for palm.

Kind regards,
Rolf
news:8snb63$s10$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Micer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2000 08:37:58 -0700

It's Redhat 6.0. The kernel is 2.2.5-15.

Micer

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Micer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: FTP different?
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2000 08:39:08 -0700

We rebuilt the directory structure of the user account, on the Linux box.
Then it started working, but we don't know why!

Micer

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: MIcrosoft's web site won't quite work with Netscape
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2000 15:43:16 +0100

Jimmy Navarro <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> did eloquently scribble:
> --------------50E0CCE86C8B398824F7390E

> WWVhcCAgeW91J3JlIHJpZ2h0LiAgSXQgc2F5czogIEphdmFTY3JpcHQgZXJyb3I6IFR5cGUg
> J2phdmFzY3JpcHQ6IGludG8NCkxvY2F0aW9uIGZvciBkZXRhaWxzJw0KDQpTbyBJIHR5cGVk

Moron!
Ever heard of the ban on binary postings?
LEARN ABOUT IT!

|   [EMAIL PROTECTED]   | "I'm alive!!! I can touch! I can taste!         |
|Andrew Halliwell BSc(hons)|  I can SMELL!!!  KRYTEN!!! Unpack Rachel and    |
|            in            |  get out the puncture repair kit!"              |
|     Computer Science     |     Arnold Judas Rimmer- Red Dwarf              |

From: "Jan Schaumann" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Is there a MS Word (or substitute) for Linux?
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2000 11:38:17 +0400

[EMAIL PROTECTED]  wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Praedor Tempus
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>main problem with it is that its output (lyx and latex) is not  accepted
>>by any of the scientific journals to which I could  conceivably publish.
>>They all accept word, wordperfect, wordstar,  pdf.  SOME accept simple
>>ascii text, which lyx/latex can handle,  but not a single one will
>>accept latex or lyx format documents.
>
> would pdftext be able to handle lyx output?  if not, how difficult would
> it be to make it?

You can export your document from inside of LyX into a variety of
formats: HTML, ASCII, PS, LaTEX etc.
Once you have a ps you can turn it into a pdf with ps2pdf (or other
tools, such as pstill).

Cheers,
-Jan

--
Jan Schaumann <http://www.netmeister.org>

Please add smileys where appropriate.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Hauck)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2000 15:43:43 GMT

On Fri, 20 Oct 2000 15:17:43 GMT, Grant Edwards <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Yes, it is possible to use Word the "right" way.  Marking
>things by content and applying format with style sheets.  But
>I've never seen anybody actually _do_ that.

I've done it.  The company I work for has a set of styles for writing
specifications and test procedures.  For the most part, it works
reasonably well.  Making global changes is fairly clumsy, what with
having to do it through tabbed dialogs and not having a clear overview
of which styles are inherited from where, but it can be done.

Of course you're screwed if someone inserts hard formatting, since
there's no way to prevent that.  Plus there's no way to change all of
your documents without loading each of them into Word.  These problems
limit the usefulness of styles as compared with LaTeX or LyX or most
other packages built on top of TeX.

--
 -| Bob Hauck
 -| To Whom You Are Speaking

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Equinox)
Subject: Re: Which windowing system? X-windows?
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2000 15:34:25 GMT

On Sat, 21 Oct 2000 03:57:18 GMT, "gSe7eN"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I'm sorry to tell you, but there's no such thing as X-windows.

Left-brained word fascist.

:)

--Russell

email (spam-disabled):
rdh *at* salug *dot* org

------------------------------

From: "Colin R. Day" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: End-User Alternative to Windows
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2000 11:52:49 -0400

Tony Tribelli wrote:

> > The industry standards and real OS's were around long before DOS for
> > OC's. IBM had a couple and UNIX was around.
>
> Microsoft offered a Unix, XENIX, and users stuck to DOS despite Microsoft's
> advocacy for XENIX.

Of course, trying to run UNIX on such computers as were used for
XENIX would be like trying to drive a Lamborghini in rush-hour
traffic.

Colin Day

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Paul Kimoto)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.system,alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: Which Gcc version to compile Linux Kernel ?
Date: 21 Oct 2000 12:04:30 -0500

In article <8ss8js$m1p$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, T.R. Donahue wrote:
> There is conflicting information available to which gcc version
> should preferably be used to compile the linux kernel v2.2.16. There seem to
> be people who claim that the kernel should preferably be compiled with Gcc
> 2.72.x instead of Gcc 2.95.x, due to some issues with 2.95.x, and the fact
> that Linus himself still exclusively uses (and therefore tests) the kernel
> with 2.72.x.

(At some point I think that it turned out that Linus and Alan Cox both used
egcs-1.1.*.)

Alan Cox now maintains 2.2.*, and in some recent release notes (see
http://www.linux.org.uk/) he writes:

: This code is intended to build with gcc 2.7.2 and egcs 1.1.2. Patches for
: building with gcc 2.95 are merged but less tested than other compilers.
: Caution is recommended when using gcc 2.95 and feedback is sought.

--
Paul Kimoto
This message was originally posted on Usenet in plain text.  Any images,

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.periphs.printers,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Linux accessing a printer hooked to ethernet.
Date: 21 Oct 2000 09:07:07 -0700

Hugh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> John Jordan wrote:
>
>  > Hugh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> dijo a todos por la internet:
>
>   >>If you know how the printer filter driver works within Linux,
>   >>you will understand what I am talking about here.
>   >>
>   >>I want to use, from a Linux host, a laser printer which is hooked
>   >>directly to the ethernet.  A printer can have an IP number.
> However,
>   >>if you use it that way, the Linux lpd simply sends a raw request
>   >>to the host, i.e., the printer.  In this case, unlike a Linux or
>   >>MSWindows
>   >>host, the printer does not have any printer filter software, i.e.,
> the
>   >>ghostscript software in the case of a Linux.
>   >>So, basically, printing will fail.
   ...<snip>...

I only saw Hugh's followup, not the original post, and snipped Hugh's
reply.  My printcap has a line something like this:

lp|lpl:lp=/dev/lp0:sd=/var/spool/lpd:sh:if=/var/spool/lpd/lp/lp0360:

The 'if=' refers to 'input filter'.  lp0360 is a script in the directory
/var/spool/lpd/lp (it could be anywhere).  That script detects if the
input looks like postscript and if it is, invokes ghostscript.  You
could try something like that.  Since my printer is an epson Stylus Color 600,
the script looks something like this:

#!/bin/sh
# ps_or_text_filter.sh
# This is a "magic filter" based on one in the Linux Printing-HOWTO.
# Checks the incoming file for Postscript or text and handles accordingly

read first_line
first_two_chars=`expr "$first_line" : '\(..\)'`

if [ "$first_two_chars" = "%!" ] ; then         # Looks like PostScript
/usr/local/bin/gs -q @stc600pl.upp -sOutputFile=-  - -c quit

else                                            # It's plain text
        echo $first_line                        # the stuff we grabbed before
        cat                                     # ... and the rest
        echo -ne \\f                            # ... and a formfeed
fi

It's based on something somebody provided for me when I asked about
printing postscript on usenet years and years ago.

  -----------------------------------
   --- my real email address?  [EMAIL PROTECTED], only remove the
   --- "UhUh" and "Spam".

------------------------------

From: "Lamar Thomas" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Re: What is SAMBA?
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2000 16:16:57 GMT

Is it free, and where do you get it?

Regards

**************************

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
Thomas wrote:
> > From: "Lamar Thomas" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > Newsgroups:
comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.misc,comp

------------------------------

From: "Micer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2000 09:28:27 -0700

I have it figured out now and the eth0 interface loads successfully. As well
I can ping other machines.There is an instruction missing from their
readme.txt that prevents eth0 from success.

Here is what a person really needs to do:

1) Go to www.linksys.com and download the appropriate driver, in my case the
Linksys LNE100TX Version 4.

2) Unpack it and then open the "Linux" sub-folder. In it you will find the
files "Netdri~1.tgz" and "readme.txt".

3) Read the readme.txt but understand that there is one vital step missing
from the instructions. Unpack the "Netdri~1.tgz" file.

4) There is a "Makefile" file that you must make executable using "chmod +x
Makefile". Run the Makefile with "./Makefile". It will run part way through
and then die a tragic death without completing, but it will show the correct
syntax for building tulip.o and pci-scan.o.

5) Now type the command in manually to build both pci-scan.o and tulip.o.
The readme.txt instructions say absolutely nothing about pci-scan.o but
tulip.o is dependent on it for starting eth0.

6) Copy pci-scan.o and tulip.o to /lib/modules/2.2.5-15/net, (replace
2.2.5-15 with whatever your kernel version is).

7) Now follow the rest of the instructions in the readme.txt, (ie: run
/sbin/depmod -a, then adjust /etc/conf.modules, /etc/sysconfig/network, and
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0).

8) Reboot. Everything works fine and eth0 comes up normally.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Desmond Coughlan)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.questions
Date: 21 Oct 2000 16:20:25 GMT

On Sat, 21 Oct 2000 16:16:57 GMT, Lamar Thomas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Is it free, and where do you get it?

http://www.samba.org/

* Desmond Coughlan     Network Engineer    Forum des Images    Paris *
* [EMAIL PROTECTED]   http://www.forumdesimages.net/ (01) 44.76.62.29 *
*   PGP Public Key: http://www.coughlan.net/desmond/pgp/pubring.pkr  *
*   Fingerprint: 3F1F C838 88D5 2659 B00A  6DF6 6883 FB9C E34A AC93  *

From: "Anonymous" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.questions
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2000 16:26:13 GMT

Samba allows you to share linux file systems with Windoze and vice versa

HTH

news:iqbI5.342740$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Gotzon Berrojalbiz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.help
Subject: 2.4 KERNEL USB SUPPORT
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2000 16:51:30 GMT

Does anybody know if the 2.4 kernel will give us the opporunity of
scanning with any USB scaner, or shall we keep on finding on supported
hardware lists ?
THANKS
--
 .-------------------------------------------.
| Debian GNU/Linux 2.2 - Linux User # 175.011 |

------------------------------

From: Beggar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: daemon in init.d script
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2000 00:54:00 +0800

Hi all,

I have put my program into /etc/rc.d/init.d/
to make it run everytime system boot up.

I have find the line in httpd script:            daemon httpd

I want to ask the key word "daemon" is for what?
what's the difference btw with and without the daemon key word?
And what document should I refer to in write such startup script?
the meaning of the "killproc", "status" .....those kind stuffs..

Thanks for any help!!

Dicky

------------------------------

From: Beggar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: daemon in init.d script
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2000 01:03:48 +0800

I notice two more processes running on my machine when I start
as daemon.
(1)    sh /etc/rc.d/rc3.d/S95myprogram start
(2)    initlog -q -c myprogram

why starting httpd do not have these two more processes?
can I get avoid of this ?
the program will output so status to /var/log/message,  how should I
control the this output message? can I just redirect this specific
daemon's
output to other place or just ignore.
I know there is kern.*, mail.* stuff, but can I add my own program
in it? for example:  myprogram.none