Linux-Misc Digest #99, Volume #28                Wed, 13 Jun 01 14:13:02 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Help on NFS (Joshua Baker-LePain)
  Slackware 7.1: Lilo and X problems ("Michael Pye")
  Samba IO error (Shane D'Arcy)
  Help with firewall rules (Warren Bell)
  Re: Slackware 7.1: Lilo and X problems (Stefano Ghirlanda)
  Re: modprobe at boot time ("ÂûÂû")
  Re: Help with firewall rules (Jean-David Beyer)
  Re: Using CD-RW for backups (D'Arque Bishop)
  Re: no sound from CD (Anders Baden Nielsen)
  Re: 2GB File size limitation (Byron A Jeff)
  What to use to write my thesis? (Wroot)
  ftp downloads stall at 30K (Ronald Haynes)
  Re: flushing the buffer in the kernel (Ricardo da Silva)
  Re: Nine questions for newusers (set clock , set services ) (Steve)
  Re: Still having emacs trouble (Steve)
  Re: no sound from CD (Steve)
  Re: Problems using RH 7.1 with SiS 630 Graphics Card (Yongchun Zhang)
  Re: depmod requaired ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Timers in threads ("Robert L. Klungle")
  Re: depmod required? (David Efflandt)
  Re: What to use to write my thesis? (Stefano Ghirlanda)

From: Joshua Baker-LePain <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Help on NFS
Date: 13 Jun 2001 15:16:49 GMT

ThanhVu Nguyen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> NFS is running automatically on both computers ... I didn't have to start
> it up manually.

You only need nfsd running on the server.

> In the /etc/hosts.deny and hosts.allow , there isn't nothing ...

That's Bad.  You need to secure these machines.  The standard way is to put
'ALL : ALL' in /etc/hosts.deny, and then open up only those services you
need to the machines that need it in /etc/hosts.allow.  To allow C2 to
mount C1's shares, you'd need 'portmap : C2' in /etc/hosts.allow on
C1, substituting C2's IP address for C2 in the example.

> I am not sure if I am runniing IPchains/tables or not ... how to tell ?

Well, first, what distribution are you using.  That will tell us a lot.
Second, what is the output of 'lsmod'?  When running, those services
load kernel modules which will be listed there.  If you find them running,
then we need to look at your firewall paramters.  In RedHat 7.1, those
are listed in /etc/sysconfig/ipchains for ipchains.  They may also
be located in /etc/rc.d/rc.firewall.

Please respond to posts below the quoted material.  It makes the flow of
the conversation easier to follow.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering

------------------------------

From: "Michael Pye" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Slackware 7.1: Lilo and X problems
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 16:10:34 +0100

OK, first problem first. The installer tried to install lilo (on the MBR, my
hardware doesn't leave any choice) it failed. I have had a look at
/etc/lilo.conf and tried several different configurations, including using
liloconfig, it always happens as follows:

# lilo
Fatal: Kernel /vmlinuz is too big.

Now I have no idea how the kernel got too big, it is a fresh install, and it
wasn't to big last time I installed Slackware. I used the same kernel image
(bare.i). Any help would be appreciated.

Now, after I use the kernel image I used to install (bare.i) from a floppy,
and then use

boot: mount root=/dev/hda6

I can boot into my system. However, I cannot start X.

$ startx
Fatal server error:
open_framebuffer: failed to open /dev/fb0 (no such device)

How can I rectify this state of affairs. I was looking forward to making use
of Slackware (the last install was defective for different reasons, I
customised it too much and didn't end up with a functional system, though it
did boot fine with lilo...)

Thanks in anticipation

MP

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Shane D'Arcy)
Subject: Samba IO error
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 15:34:58 +0000 (UTC)

Hi All,=20
I am currently porting code from a windoze code base, and I am using
samba (with the smbmount command) to connect to an NT box. This works
fine, I can edit and save the files as if they were on the local
machine. However every now and then, when I try to save my code, I get a
message saying that file does not exist, I then try the ls command only
to receive "Input/Output error". Sometimes this may occur every few
minutes and for that matter it may work fine all day. It is really
annoying, can anyone help??=20
I am using emacs, would its autosave feature cause any problems? Distro
=3D Mandrake 7.2=20
Kind regards Shane=20

--
Posted from [194.125.101.251]

From: Warren Bell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Help with firewall rules
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 08:43:41 -0700

I have a firewall script I've been using for a while and need someone to
look it over.  I think it's pretty secure but I just want to check to be
sure.

I have a home netork with the Linux machine as the one connected to the
net and masqurading the traffic for three other machines in the house.
What I want to make sure of is that it allows all all traffic from these
other machines to use the internet but _does not_ allow anyone from
outside to connect to any of the internal machines.  The only machine
people from the net should be able to contact is the main machine
running the firewall.  Is that what this ruleset does, and/or is this
possible?

Here's the relevant part of the firewall:

EXTERNAL_INTERFACE="ppp0"           # Internet connected interface
LOOPBACK_INTERFACE="lo"             # or your local naming convention
LAN_INTERFACE_1="eth0"              # internal LAN interface
LAN_1="192.168.0.0/24"              # whatever (private) range you use

# set default rule to DENY everything and then let only certain
# packets through
/sbin/ipchains -P input DENY

# allow all output
/sbin/ipchains -A output -i $EXTERNAL_INTERFACE -j ACCEPT

# Disallow Fragmented Packets
/sbin/ipchains -A input -f -i $EXTERNAL_INTERFACE -j DENY -l

# --------------------------------------------------------------------
# LOOPBACK

# Unlimited traffic on the loopback interface
/sbin/ipchains -A input  -i $LOOPBACK_INTERFACE -j ACCEPT
/sbin/ipchains -A output -i $LOOPBACK_INTERFACE -j ACCEPT

# --------------------------------------------------------------------
# Unlimited traffic within the local network.
# All internal machines have access to the fireall machine.

/sbin/ipchains -A input  -i $LAN_INTERFACE_1 -s $LAN_1 -j ACCEPT
/sbin/ipchains -A output -i $LAN_INTERFACE_1 -d $LAN_1 -j ACCEPT

# --------------------------------------------------------------------
# Masquerade internal traffic.
# All internal traffic is masqueraded externally.

# Set masquerade timeout
# commented out for the new kernel
#/sbin/ipchains -M -S 7200 10 160

/sbin/ipchains -P forward DENY
/sbin/ipchains -A forward -i $EXTERNAL_INTERFACE -s $LAN_1 -j MASQ

... specific ALLOW and DENY rules

------------------------------

From: Stefano Ghirlanda <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Slackware 7.1: Lilo and X problems
Date: 13 Jun 2001 18:09:29 +0200

"Michael Pye" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> # lilo
> Fatal: Kernel /vmlinuz is too big.

This is really weird, especially since bare.i is a small kernel... I
can just confort you by saying that I am as puzzled as you are.

> $ startx
> Fatal server error:
> open_framebuffer: failed to open /dev/fb0 (no such device)

Apparently the X server is configure for using the framebuffer. If the
error is veridical, than you have to create the /dev/fd0 device:

# mknod -m 660 /dev/fb0 c 29 0

You can also read the documentation in the kernel sources,
/usr/src/linux/Documentation/fb/*.

If you are unable to configure the framebuffer, you can set up X
normally to use your video card, jut use xf86config as usual.

Good luck,

--
Stefano - Hodie Idibus Iuniis MMI est

------------------------------

From: "ÂûÂû" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: modprobe at boot time
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 00:10:33 +0800

i have add this, but no use.

"Ian Northeast" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> ¼¶¼g©ó¶l¥ó
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Jean-David Beyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Help with firewall rules
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 12:15:20 -0400

Warren Bell wrote:

> I have a firewall script I've been using for a while and need someone to
> look it over.  I think it's pretty secure but I just want to check to be
> sure.
>
> I have a home netork with the Linux machine as the one connected to the
> net and masqurading the traffic for three other machines in the house.
> What I want to make sure of is that it allows all all traffic from these
> other machines to use the internet but _does not_ allow anyone from
> outside to connect to any of the internal machines.  The only machine
> people from the net should be able to contact is the main machine
> running the firewall.  Is that what this ruleset does, and/or is this
> possible?
>
> Here's the relevant part of the firewall:
>
> EXTERNAL_INTERFACE="ppp0"           # Internet connected interface
> LOOPBACK_INTERFACE="lo"             # or your local naming convention
> LAN_INTERFACE_1="eth0"              # internal LAN interface
> LAN_1="192.168.0.0/24"              # whatever (private) range you use
>
> # set default rule to DENY everything and then let only certain
> # packets through
> /sbin/ipchains -P input DENY
>
> # allow all output
> /sbin/ipchains -A output -i $EXTERNAL_INTERFACE -j ACCEPT
>
> # Disallow Fragmented Packets
> /sbin/ipchains -A input -f -i $EXTERNAL_INTERFACE -j DENY -l
>
> # --------------------------------------------------------------------
> # LOOPBACK
>
> # Unlimited traffic on the loopback interface
> /sbin/ipchains -A input  -i $LOOPBACK_INTERFACE -j ACCEPT
> /sbin/ipchains -A output -i $LOOPBACK_INTERFACE -j ACCEPT
>
> # --------------------------------------------------------------------
> # Unlimited traffic within the local network.
> # All internal machines have access to the fireall machine.
>
> /sbin/ipchains -A input  -i $LAN_INTERFACE_1 -s $LAN_1 -j ACCEPT
> /sbin/ipchains -A output -i $LAN_INTERFACE_1 -d $LAN_1 -j ACCEPT
>
> # --------------------------------------------------------------------
> # Masquerade internal traffic.
> # All internal traffic is masqueraded externally.
>
> # Set masquerade timeout
> # commented out for the new kernel
> #/sbin/ipchains -M -S 7200 10 160
>
> /sbin/ipchains -P forward DENY
> /sbin/ipchains -A forward -i $EXTERNAL_INTERFACE -s $LAN_1 -j MASQ
>
> ... specific ALLOW and DENY rules

I go the more permissive way and allow everything except what I turn
off. I suspect your way is better. But I do have a few rules you might
think about. ppp+ deals with any ppp interface; i.e., for me, all my
links to the Internet. eth0 is my LAN. Unless I bungled it, nothing
from the Internet can pretend to be originating from my LAN.

# Refuse from our LAN anything without proper LAN address.
-A input -s ! 192.168.1.0/255.255.0.0 -d 0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0 -i eth0 -j
DENY -l
# Refuse from dial-up anything claiming to be from our LAN.
-A input -s 192.168.1.0/255.255.0.0 -d 0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0 -i ppp+ -j DENY
-l
# Refuse packets claiming to be to or from a Class A private network.
-A input -s 10.0.0.0/8 -i ppp+ -j DENY -l
-A input -d 10.0.0.0/8 -i ppp+ -j DENY -l
-A output -s 10.0.0.0/8 -i ppp+ -j REJECT -l
-A output -d 10.0.0.0/8 -i ppp+ -j REJECT -l
# Refuse packets claiming to be to or from a Class B private network.
-A input -s 172.16.0.0/12 -i ppp+ -j DENY -l
-A input -d 172.16.0.0/12 -i ppp+ -j DENY -l
-A output -s 172.16.0.0/12 -i ppp+ -j REJECT -l
-A output -d 172.16.0.0/12 -i ppp+ -j REJECT -l
# Refuse multicast/anycast/broadcast
-A input -s 224.0.0.0/4 -i ppp+ -j DENY -l
-A output -s 224.0.0.0/4 -i ppp+ -j DENY -l
# Refuse reserved addresses.
-A input -s 240.0.0.0/5 -i ppp+ -j DENY -l
-A output -s 240.0.0.0/5 -i ppp+ -j DENY -l
# Try to hinder adore virus
-A output -d 61.140.60.21/32 ppp+ -j DENY -l
-A output -d 206.204.114.58/32 ppp+ -j DENY -l

--
 .~.  Jean-David Beyer           Registered Linux User 85642.
 /V\                             Registered Machine    73926.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (D'Arque Bishop)
Subject: Re: Using CD-RW for backups
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 16:11:45 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Lee Allen wrote:
> We are considering using CD-RW for backups, instead of tape drives.  I
> know it's possible, but does it really really work -- reliably?
>
> Does anyone have actual experience of performing backups to CD-RW on a
> regular basis over a long term?

Yeah, we've been using an automated backup system using a CD-RW on our main
server for over a year now.  What the system does is tars and gzips the
relevant data into tar.gz files into a temp directory, and then uses mkisofs
and cdrecord to burn the information onto a CD-RW.  We've been using this
system for over a year now, as I said, and it's been very reliable.  In
fact, we also use NFS and the like so another server could back up to the
same server, and we ended up restoring that server from a backup after the
original one (complete with hard drive) was destroyed in the recent floods
down here...

Hope this helps...

--
D'Arque Bishop -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.ravenloft.net/~drkbish

"For a dark man shall come unto the House of God, and the darkness shall be
upon him, yea, even within him."
                  -- from Noctropolis: Night Visions

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.powerpc
Subject: Re: no sound from CD
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Anders Baden Nielsen)
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 18:53:59 +0200

Rick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Hi,

> I have not been able to get sound from my CD. I can get xmms to play
> streaming mp3s. I can get event sounds from X-Chat, but not a peep
> frommy CD.

Have you remembered to turn up the CD volume in the gnome mixer?

> I do not believe I g=had sound from GNOME either.

Have you enabled sound support in the gnome control panel?
--
Regards

Anders Baden Nielsen
www: http://linuxppc.dht.dk - KoRn, Deftones, LinuxPPC...
e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
ICQ#: 32984804 (<=-frEak oN a leaSh>)
=====================================
Bartender, I'd like whatever the man on the floor was drinking

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Byron A Jeff)
Subject: Re: 2GB File size limitation
Date: 13 Jun 2001 12:56:36 -0400

In article <b4BV6.19018$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Makkern  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>>An audio enginer that uses a lot of computerised equipment.
>>>2Gb = ~7:17 min of 32 channel audio
>>>So when recording say a 2 hour session I expect to eat the greater part of
>>>a 40Gb hard drive.
>
>[chunk-talk]
>> Everytime this issue is brought up, the core filesystem is blamed and
>> chunking is never discussed. Certainly a mountain made out of a molehill.
>
>A file should be an abstraction for a place to keep data. It is very
>unhelpful to have arbitrary limits on the size of this data. Do you really
>think it is sound engineering for every application to have its own
>hacked-on way of dealing with large files? It should be a service provided
>by the file system.

That's very nice. However this particular item is an instance where the
technology outpaced the abstraction. In addition only a very small percentage
of applications/file formats require such huge files. However there is a
tangible cost in memory and computation time to maintain huge offsets for that
small percentage of files and applications.

>One could take your argument further and say "well, I don't need file
>systems at all. Give me a raw disk partition and I'll store all the data
>you want".

BTW that's exactly what huge databases do. It has the dual benefit of enhancing
the performance of the database engine and obviating the need for huge file
support for a single application. A record to disk application could in fact
enjoy the same benefits of working on a raw partition.

Of course we're having this discussion as if a proper alternative doesn't
exist. Get a distribution with filesystem, VFS, library, and application
support for large files, and be done with it.

But frankly when the vast majority of files doesn't even come close to that
limit, it seems wasteful to build an entire infrastructure to support one
or two applications, when the other 1000 applications have no such need.

And lastly I point out the fact that chunking alleviates the problem of
having to upgrade a system to have large file support. Therefore it will
work on any 32 bit system without modification. It'll be another 2-3 years
before the majority of Linux systems have large file support.

BTW I figured out that the only files that I have that are even close are
the ISOs I have stored.

BAJ

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Wroot)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.apps.word-proc,comp.text.tex
Subject: What to use to write my thesis?
Date: 13 Jun 2001 10:01:05 -0700

Hi,

I'm wondering what software or standars people would recommend for writing
technical scientific papers and a thesis?

If I understand correctly, the main options are MS Word and LaTeX. If I
choose the former, I'll have to find a Windows machine or a Mac (I prefer
Linux and FreeBSD). OTOH, LaTeX requires considerable learning.

Thanks

Wroot

------------------------------

From: Ronald Haynes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: ftp downloads stall at 30K
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 10:18:50 -0700

Hi, I have been trying to download a .rpm file onto my PIII Dell
Latititude notebook
with a xircom combo card using the modem interface.  Downloading
from the website directly using netscape would continually stall.  So I
logged on to unix account elsewhere and ftp'ed the file to my local
account there.
Now I have been trying to download the file to my laptop over a dial-up
connection.

The file is approx 6 megs.  When I attempt to ftp the file it always
stall at just
over 30K (not always at the exact same size but always just over 30K).
My connection
is working fine, as I am using it to send this message.  Any help or
suggestions would
be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
R Hayn es

------------------------------

From: Ricardo da Silva <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: flushing the buffer in the kernel
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 09:53:28 -0700

Almost the daemons that need write to a system log file use the klog and
syslogd facilities, maybe you can find some usefull information there.

rms.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Steve)
Subject: Re: Nine questions for newusers (set clock , set services )
Date: 13 Jun 2001 17:18:24 GMT

On 12 Jun 2001 22:51:21 -0700, Emmett McLean wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I have a fresh install of Turbo Linux ...
>
>I have a NeXTStep background which has a
>GUI interface to these sorts of things ...
>

>So I have a few newbee questions ...

Read the docs on these subjects and they'll tell you the
answers.

For example if you untar the apache source and read the lelevant
documents in there your question about where the config files
are is answered.

I'd suggest that all your other questions have a similar answer,
you just havn't made any effort to find out for yourself (which
will teach you much more than the answers to the basic questions
that you've asked).

There are also the HOWTOs in my distro /usr/doc/HOWTO and
/usr/doc/HOWTO/mini/  and if you havn't got them then they're at
http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/

My answer probably isn't what you wanted to hear, but it is the
real soloution.

--
Cheers
Steve              email mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

web http://www.zeropps.uklinux.net/

or  http://start.at/zero-pps

  1:04pm  up 131 days, 13:54,  2 users,  load average: 1.03, 1.03, 1.00

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Steve)
Subject: Re: Still having emacs trouble
Date: 13 Jun 2001 17:18:21 GMT

On 12 Jun 2001 21:37:03 -0700, mndoci wrote:
>Hi folks
>

>I had posted this a while ago and despite all the suggestions at the
>time, I still have not solved the problem.
>
>On mandrake 7.1 (using KDE) I get grey shading on any text when I use
>emacs (no such problems with xemacs).  If I login as root, I have no
>such trouble.  I proceeded to replace my .Xdefaults with that of root
>and deleted my .emacs file.   However the problem still persists.
>
>Any other suggestions.  Its a pain working through text that is
>shaded, especially when I work remotely on machines which only have
>emacs and not xemacs.

Copy the .emacs from roots home to yours, and have a look at .XResources
(I think that's what it's called).

You could also try emacs -q filename.c which means do not load an init file,
-u username for use another users init file.

Hope some of this helps.

--
Cheers
Steve              email mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

web http://www.zeropps.uklinux.net/

or  http://start.at/zero-pps

 12:51pm  up 131 days, 13:41,  2 users,  load average: 1.08, 1.05, 1.01

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Steve)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.powerpc
Date: 13 Jun 2001 17:18:33 GMT

On 13 Jun 2001 04:16:31 GMT, Dances With Crows wrote:
>On Tue, 12 Jun 2001 23:38:00 -0400, Rick staggered into the Black Sun
>and said:
>>I have not been able to get sound from my CD. I can get xmms to play
>>streaming mp3s. I can get event sounds from X-Chat, but not a peep
>>from my CD. I do not believe I had sound from GNOME either.
>
>Make sure the cable from the CD-ROM drive is plugged into the 4-pin
>"CD-IN" connector on your soundcard.  Also, pull up GNOME's mixer
>program (gmix?) and make sure that the CD-ROM volume is set to a
>reasonably high level.

Yes what he said, and I seem to remember having the exact same problem
whe I upgraded to RH6.2 from RH6.0, can't remember exactly what the
problem turned out to be, I think it might have had something to do with
the OSS driver configuration in xmms (as set in the GUI in xmms).

I also remember going and getting the CD player program that came with
6.0 off the old CD, can't remember weather it was the new CD player that
came with 6.2 that turned out to be the problem or weather it was the
Xmms thing above.

--
Cheers
Steve              email mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

web http://www.zeropps.uklinux.net/

or  http://start.at/zero-pps

  1:13pm  up 131 days, 14:03,  2 users,  load average: 1.00, 1.00, 1.00

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Yongchun Zhang)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.redhat,comp.os.linux.x,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Problems using RH 7.1 with SiS 630 Graphics Card
Date: 13 Jun 2001 10:22:41 -0700

Thanks for your help!

My LAN, video, audio cards and modem  are exactly the same as the one in your
reference, though mine is an Ashton Digital Maximate 600. And the problems I
had experience are very similar to his. Thanks you.

I will try the suggestions later in the day. The problem is I don't have SaX 'coz
it's RedHat.

BTW, what are the normal values for the horizontal and vertical frequencies for
an XGA TFT 14.1 LCD?

Thanks a lot.

Y. Zhang

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: depmod requaired
Date: 13 Jun 2001 17:12:04 GMT

Hi tim! (Tom - sorry)

I gave you an answer. Via email to keep down the traffic. The reply was:
This is an auto-replier. I won't ever see this messagr

If you want to get an answer from me - post with your real email!
Cya,
  stimpy

------------------------------

From: "Robert L. Klungle" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Timers in threads
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 17:44:12 GMT

bowman wrote:

> "Robert L. Klungle" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >
> > Also, when a read() function hangs due to no data, killing
> > the thread doesn't seem to clear the device handler. Only
> > killing the main program seems to do it.
>
> look at pthread_cleanup_push, pthread_cleanup_pop, and pthread_testcancel.
> When you are blocked on a read, a pthread_cancel will end the block, with an
> EINTR. do the pthread_testcancel if this is returned by read. The testcancel
> is a cancellation point, so the code specified in the cleanup will be run by
> the pthread_exit(). This will allow you to close the port and do whatever
> other cleanup you need.

Thanks.

You were right on. Got it working.

Again, thanks.

cheers....bob

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Efflandt)
Subject: Re: depmod required?
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 17:49:10 +0000 (UTC)

On Wed, 13 Jun 2001 14:06:49 GMT, Tom Edelbrok <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> When I finish building a kernel (making bzimage, modules, modules_install,
> etc) I am told by one person that I should always do a "depmod -a <new
> kernel version>".
>
> For example:
>
> depmod  -a  2.2.14
>
> However, several other Linux-type gurus tell me that this step is not
> required.
>
> It creates the /lib/modules/2.2.14/modules.dep file. What is this file used
> for and is it really necessary to create this file when rebuilding a kernel?

If you modify /etc/conf.modules (or modules.conf) you may get a boot
message warning that it is newer that module dependencies.  But that
warning is unimportant and you can get rid of it by simply typing
'depmod -a' anytime you modify your module config or get that error.

--
David Efflandt  (Reply-To is valid)  http://www.de-srv.com/
http://www.autox.chicago.il.us/  http://www.berniesfloral.net/

------------------------------

From: Stefano Ghirlanda <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.apps.word-proc,comp.text.tex
Subject: Re: What to use to write my thesis?
Date: 13 Jun 2001 19:59:38 +0200

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Wroot) writes:

> Hi,
>
> I'm wondering what software or standars people would recommend for
> writing technical scientific papers and a thesis?

Forget about Word if you have lots of equations and a long document.

> OTOH, LaTeX requires considerable learning.

This is true to become a LaTeX master (but here again, becoming a Word
master - in the sense of getting exactly what you want in uncommon
situations - is ocnsiderably more difficult, if feasible at all).

But to learn enough LaTeX to start going and writing moderately
complex equations takes just a couple of hours. I am pretty sure you
can figure out what the following does -- just don't be scared and
read it through, line by line:

\documentclass{article}
\begin{document}
\title{My first \LaTeX\ file}
\author{Wroot}
\maketitle
\begin{abstract}
This is the abstract.
\end{abstract}
\section{Introduction}
Here is an equation:
\begin{equation}
f(x) = \sum_{k=0}^{N} g_{k}(x) + \frac{\pi}{2}
\end{equation}
\end{document}

You just have to know that commands begin by \, that {} is for
grouping, that ^ is superscript, that _ is subscript, that greek
letters are \alpha, \beta and so on. There's really a lot more of
course but as you see is not hard to get going. Then download the "Not
so short introduction to LaTeX" from ww.ctan.org.

And, the above piece of code is a complete LaTeX document. Sve it in
first.tex and do:

$ latex first.tex
$ xdvi first

and see how good it looks. Think about how much formatting you need to
do manually in Word to achieve the same result. Now generate a PDF
file directly:

$ pdflatex first.tex
$ gv first.pdf

And, if you really don't like typing things like
\section{Introduction}, do have a look at LyX, www.lyx.org, which is
an excellent front-end to LaTeX.

--
Stefano - Hodie Idibus Iuniis MMI est