From: * Tong * <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.debian.user
Subject: modeprobe and sound card
Date: 24 May 2001 23:10:30 -0300

Hi,

This is the first time that I tweak the kernel, therefore I have a
lot of questions, after over 10 hours of frustration experiences.

The task I want to do is rather simple -- adding the sound blaster
16 to my debian. But this "simple" task has gave me a lot of
trouble. To keep the long story short, here are my current problems:

I upgraded my kernel from 2.0.36 to 2.2.18pre21-idepci, had problems
building my Alsa so I upgrade to 2.2.19-idepci again, using the
dselect. But the wired things are:

- After reboot, I got a lots of depmod error, saying can't create
  /lib/modules/2.2.19/modules.dep. Why it is not look into the
  /lib/modules/2.2.19-idepci/ directory?

The seems a serious problem to me because last time, I build my alsa
in 2.2.18pre21-idepci environment with 2.2.18pre21-ide header files
but the results can't work with the 2.2.18pre21-idepci kernel. (why?)

- Also, modprobe is looking for the /lib/modules/2.2.19/, not the
  /lib/modules/2.2.19-idepci/. How can I fix it?

- Beside, when compiling Alsa, the configure said:
checking for kernel version... 2.2.18pre21
  how could I tell the it that my linux is 2.2.19-idepci now?
  (I did the configure from clean dir)

- even after I've 'make; make install' the alsa drivers, when I do
  modprobe -v snd-card-sb16, I still get an error:
modprobe: Can't locate module snd-card-sb16
  why is that and how can I fix it?

Thanks a lot for your help. You can see that I'm really stuck
here. Beside, after upgrading my Debian, I no longer have network
connection at start up any more. I have to configure my eth0 by hand
to get it going... I really hope that I can get out of this trouble
soon. thanks.

--
Tong (remove underscore(s) to reply)
  *niX Power Tools Project: http://xpt.sourceforge.net/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Carl Fink)
Subject: Re: chmod +s
Date: 25 May 2001 02:10:51 GMT

On Fri, 25 May 2001 00:46:23 GMT [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>so, I made a new script to call the startup script. While logged in as root, I
>did:  chmod +s script

And this means nothing, because setuid is ignored on scripts.
--
Carl Fink               [EMAIL PROTECTED]
I-Con's Science and Technology Programming

------------------------------

From: "Charles Sullivan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: search for group
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 02:00:07 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Unknown" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> How can I search a tree for all files which have root as the group?
> Thanks.

man find

------------------------------

From: hac <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.help
Subject: Re: Using TAR
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 02:29:18 GMT

Filipp Sapienza wrote:

> Hello. I have a directory called /stuff with the following contents:
>
> myfile
> otherfile
> junk
> happy
> /one
> /two
> /gallery
>
> Is it possible to use tar to store everything except /gallery?
> What is the syntax to do this?

"man tar"

Look for the option which lets you exclude files.

--
Howard Christeller  Irvine, CA   [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Yvan Loranger)
Subject: Re: Netscape question: Attachments received as inline text?
Date: 25 May 2001 02:31:27 GMT

Atul Narang ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) writes:
> I use Netscape Messenger as my mail reader. Any text file
> attachments emailed to me appear as inline text below the
> message. How can I turn this off? I prefer to have the
> attachments remain attachments (rather than inline text).

AFAIK, it's controlled via the menu Edit;Preferences
[not sure pure text attachments will respond though]
Version of Netscape you're using may invalidate my hint; look elsewhere in
the menus.
--
Merci........Yvan          Pour le plein air: Club Vertige
                               http://www.ncf.ca/vertige

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: MBR on a raid-5 array
Date: 25 May 2001 02:33:52 GMT

On Thu, 24 May 2001 01:59:36 GMT, Frank de Bot staggered into the Black
Sun and said:
>I'm planning to create a raid-5 array of 3 18Gb scsi drives (not
>important). As usual the devices are called sda,sbd and sdc. My
>question is; what if the first disk,sda, (which contains the Master
>Boot record) failes?!

Read a little more about RAID before you implement it.  If you have a
hardware RAID controller, the controller will initialize the RAID, and
all data will be striped across all disks, along with extra parity
information.  /dev/sd[abc] will no longer exist; there will be only
/dev/sda, and it will appear as one 36G drive.

If you're doing software RAID, you will use "mkraid" to create the array
over /dev/sd[abc].  Data will still be striped across all 3 disks, but
you will access /dev/md0 as one big 36G drive.

>How am I supposed to get the MBR on the new disk I'll put in? It would
>be pretty nasty if I couldn't boot my systeem anymore because of this.

The MBR will be striped across all 3 disks, with parity.  Booting from a
software RAID-5 might be tricky, check the HOWTOs over at
http://linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/ for more info.  (Can't help much, got some
RAID-5 and RAID-1 systems, but they're all done in hardware...)

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /  Workin' in a code mine, hittin' Ctrl-Alt
http://www.brainbench.com     /   Workin' in a code mine, whoops!
=============================/    I hit a seg fault....

------------------------------

From: "Wong Ching Kuen Frederick" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: iptables
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 10:23:51 +0800

could anyone suggest a better filtering for incoming ftp (proftpd)?

HIGHPORT=1024:65535
iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --sport $HIGHPORT --dport ftp -j ACCEPT
iptables -A OUTPUT -p tcp --sport ftp --dport $HIGHPORT ! --syn -j ACCEPT
iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --sport $HIGHPORT --dport $HIGHPORT -j ACCEPT
iptables -A OUTPUT -p tcp --sport $HIGHPORT --dport $HIGHPORT -j ACCEPT

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Yvan Loranger)
Date: 25 May 2001 02:39:57 GMT

 ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) writes:
> Where did I go wrong?
>
> I have a program which must be run as root, in order to read certain files on
> startup. But I want the ability for a user to start the program. When root
> calls the startup script, all is fine. But when a user calls the startup
> script, I get "perm denied" on reading certain files.
>
> so, I made a new script to call the startup script. While logged in as root, I
> did:  chmod +s script
>
> and now my script is:  -rwsrwsr--
> the owner is root
>
> but when the user calls the script, I get the same perms denied as before.
>
> I though that since root owns the script, then setting -rwsrwsr-- would allow
> a user (of the appropriate group) to call the script which calls the startup
> script as if he were root.

no great expert on this but i think it's the PROGRAM which has to be suid
root.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Yvan Loranger)
Date: 25 May 2001 02:44:25 GMT

 ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) writes:
> How can I search a tree for all files which have root as the group? Thanks.
> --
>
> Dave

man find      or      man locate

find / -user root       if root really is a groupname

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Yvan Loranger)
Subject: Re: download
Date: 25 May 2001 02:49:45 GMT

al pigeon ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) writes:
> after you download a zip file what do you do,from after
> the download to the time you put it in a file, i am not
>  talking about a window system,i take aladdin expander
> to unzip,  but i am talking about a linux zip file
> thanks in advance

?
tell the downloading program where to store the file, under what name.

From: John Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: about the make utility
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 19:23:37 -0500

"Mr. X" wrote:

> does anybody know where I can find a good reference or tutorial
> about the make utility.
>
> I did not find a howto for make and
> in the man pages there is not really much about it.

O'Reilly publishes a nice little reference on make: "Managing
Projects with Make" ISBN 0-937175-90-0

--

-John ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Richard Thrippleton)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: IBM to let Linux fans use mainframe--for free
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 03:58:01 +0000

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Aaron R. Kulkis wrote:
>fmc wrote:
>>
>> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> > I found this info  at:
>> >
>> http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/zd/20010522/tc/ibm_to_let_linux_fans_use_mainfr
>> ame--for_free_1.html
>> >
>> > Anyone knows how to get this access?
>>
>> Yes, read this:
>>
>> http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/zd/20010522/tc/ibm_to_let_linux_fans_use_mainfr
>> ame--for_free_1.html
>

>When posting long URL's please adjust your line length so that they don't
>get fucked up
>

>http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/zd/20010522/tc/ibm_to_let_linux_fans_use_mainframe--for_free_1.html
        I don't claim to be an expert on 'net standards by any stretch of
the imagination, but aren't all news postings supposed to be wrapped to 76
characters regardless? I know there's some reason for this, but it escapes
me at this time. Any ideas?

Richard

------------------------------

From: Keeper of the Key to Time <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Help - can't use GNOME apps in mdk7.2
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.mandrake
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 23:21:36 -0400

[Orig. post on 18 May, reposted due to no responses]

        I'm hoping someone has seen this before and knows what to do; I
haven't been able to figure it out over the last few days.

        I've got a Mandrake 7.2 system, with some updates but relatively
clean. Somehow I've managed to mess things up, probably in the process of
trying to put Xchat in. Now, all apps that use GNOME start up invisibly --
they display no windows, but show up as "Sleeping" in a process list. This
happens for apps that use GNOME libraries, such an GnuCash, Xchat, gnapster;
apps that use GTK but not GNOME (Xdownloader, RPMdrake) run just fine. I
normally use KDE as my desktop, and all of those apps also work ok.
        Here are some packages which seem to be applicable:

gnome-core-1.2.1-40mdk
gnome-libs-1.2.4-8mdk [also -devel, same revision]

        I have tried examining, changing, removing, config files in ~/.gnome,
to no effect. Xchat, gnapster, and Pan are new installations, but I've been
using the same GnuCash for a couple of months, and now it doesn't work
either. Even the GNOME panel doesn't show up.

        I have searched the Web and Usenet before posting here; obviously I
did not turn up anything useful. :( Anyone got some clues I can borrow?  ;)

*** Additional, 24 May: Have tried removing and re-installing gnome-core and
gnome-libs, no effect. Also moved ~/.gnome, ~/.gnome-private, ~/.sawfish, no
effect. GNOME apps behave the same whether I'm logged in as root or a normal
user. They are the same if I'm using KDE or Enlightenment -- only show up in
process list, not on X display. ***

--
// Carl Hudkins = reverse("com.bigfoot at keybounce");
//

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Date: 25 May 2001 03:15:09 GMT

On Thu, 24 May 2001 20:52:41 -0500, Dave Uhring staggered into the Black
Sun and said:
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
>> Where did I go wrong?  I have a program which must be run as root, in
>> order to read certain files on startup. But I want the ability for a
>> user to start the program. When root calls the startup script, all is
>> fine. But when a user calls the startup script, I get "perm denied"
>> on reading certain files.
>>
>> so, I made a new script to call the startup script. While logged in
>> as root, I did:  chmod +s script but when the user calls the script,
>> I get the same perms denied as before.
>>
>Your user who is not a member of the group owning that file only has
>read permissions.  If you want any user to be able to execute the file
>with suid root permission
># chmod 4755 <file_name>

...and remember that SUID shell scripts are *NOT* allowed.  The kernel
will allow you to execute a SUID shell script, but it will not set the
UID.  Security reasons, this has been discussed to death, search this NG
for the full explanation.

If you really need to have a shell script execute as root, and have
users other than root be able to execute this script, you need a wrapper
that's been chowned to root and chmodded SUID around the script.
Something like so:

#include<stdio.h>
#include<unistd.h>
int main(int argc, char **argv, char **envp)
{
  setuid(0);
  execve("/path/to/script", argv, envp);
  return 0;
}

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Grant Edwards)
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 03:16:30 GMT

On Thu, 24 May 2001 19:23:37 -0500, John Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>"Mr. X" wrote:
>
>> does anybody know where I can find a good reference or tutorial
>> about the make utility.
>>
>> I did not find a howto for make and
>> in the man pages there is not really much about it.
>
>O'Reilly publishes a nice little reference on make: "Managing
>Projects with Make" ISBN 0-937175-90-0

Also try:

 $ info "gnu make"

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Join the PLUMBER'S
                                  at               UNION!!

------------------------------

From: "Marc Arbour" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: permanent mail server question
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 23:40:45 -0400

Could anyone direct me in this project. I am a junior Linux network admin
and was asked to put up a permanent mail server on the net.

We are actually using the services of Netnation.ca for our POP accounts and
would like to have OUR OWN mail server. Totally independant. Internal
clients would
connect to that server with Outlook Express for the most part. It also has
to be available from the internet as well. I was planning to use
phpgroupware for outside
access (www.phpgroupware.org)

I need a little guidance as to what to do. I will be using Mandrake 8.0. Are
there any good howto pages out there that could tell me everything that
needs to be done? Like what to do in what order? How can I allow access from
the
inside, but not from the outside? (see outside remark earlier)

I have found many howto's (especially the ones on MUO) that explain how to
do
this with an external POP provider, like ISP's. I really require a full
blown mail system. A complete replacement to Exchange.

Any help would be appreciated.

Best regards

Marco

The instructions required to install Windows 95 or better...
So I installed Linux!

------------------------------

From: David <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 04:10:05 GMT

Yvan Loranger wrote:

> Atul Narang ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) writes:
> > I use Netscape Messenger as my mail reader. Any text file
> > attachments emailed to me appear as inline text below the
> > message. How can I turn this off? I prefer to have the
> > attachments remain attachments (rather than inline text).
>
> AFAIK, it's controlled via the menu Edit;Preferences
> [not sure pure text attachments will respond though]
> Version of Netscape you're using may invalidate my hint; look elsewhere in
> the menus.

On netscape 4.77 look in:

 edit/preferences/mail & newgroups/messages

Registered with the Linux Counter.  http://counter.li.org
ID # 123538
Completed more W/U's than 99.216% of seti users. +/- 0.01%

------------------------------

From: * Tong * <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.debian.user
Subject: Re: modeprobe and sound card
Date: 25 May 2001 01:20:55 -0300

* Tong * <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Hi,
>
> This is the first time that I tweak the kernel, therefore I have a
> lot of questions, after over 10 hours of frustration experiences.
>
> The task I want to do is rather simple -- adding the sound blaster
> 16 to my debian. But this "simple" task has gave me a lot of
> trouble. To keep the long story short, here are my current problems:
>
> I upgraded my kernel from 2.0.36 to 2.2.18pre21-idepci, had problems
> building my Alsa so I upgrade to 2.2.19-idepci again, using the
> dselect. But the wired things are:
>
> - After reboot, I got a lots of depmod error, saying can't create
>   /lib/modules/2.2.19/modules.dep. Why it is not look into the
>   /lib/modules/2.2.19-idepci/ directory?
>
> The seems a serious problem to me because last time, I build my alsa
> in 2.2.18pre21-idepci environment with 2.2.18pre21-ide header files
> but the results can't work with the 2.2.18pre21-idepci kernel. (why?)
>
> - Also, modprobe is looking for the /lib/modules/2.2.19/, not the
>   /lib/modules/2.2.19-idepci/. How can I fix it?
>
> - Beside, when compiling Alsa, the configure said:
> checking for kernel version... 2.2.18pre21
>   how could I tell the it that my linux is 2.2.19-idepci now?
>   (I did the configure from clean dir)

Ok, figured this out. wrong sym-link of my /usr/src/linux.

> - even after I've 'make; make install' the alsa drivers, when I do
>   modprobe -v snd-card-sb16, I still get an error:
> modprobe: Can't locate module snd-card-sb16
>   why is that and how can I fix it?

Again, one step further:

$ modprobe -v snd-card-sb16

/sbin/insmod /lib/modules/2.2.19/misc/snd.o snd_major=116 snd_cards_limit=1
snd_device_mode=0660 snd_device_gid=29 snd_device_uid=0
/lib/modules/2.2.19/misc/snd.o: unresolved symbol unregister_sound_dsp
/lib/modules/2.2.19/misc/snd.o: unresolved symbol register_sound_dsp
/lib/modules/2.2.19/misc/snd.o: unresolved symbol unregister_sound_special
/lib/modules/2.2.19/misc/snd.o: unresolved symbol register_sound_special
/lib/modules/2.2.19/misc/snd.o: insmod /lib/modules/2.2.19/misc/snd.o failed
/lib/modules/2.2.19/misc/snd.o: insmod snd-card-sb16 failed

why is this "unresolved symbol"? (It was also what I got for kernel
2.2.18pre21-idepci, BTW)

From: "Eric Chow" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Cannot print fle to Windows Printer through Samba
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 12:34:30 +0800

Hello,

I modify the /etc/printcap as following :
hp6l|lp:\
        :cm=HP LaserJet 6L:\
        :lp=/dev/hp6l:\
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/hp6l:\
        :af=/var/spool/lpd/hp6l/acct:\
        :mx#0:\
        :if=/usr/bin/smbprint:

When I use lpr to print a file. It seems that no response to the Printer but
had no errors.
Do I need mount the Windows Printer first ? How to mount it ? Would you
please to teach me ?
I have read the SMB-HOWTO, but still not understand.

How should I do if I want to print file to Windows Printer in Linux
environment through Samba ?

Best regards,
Eric