Linux-Misc Digest #88, Volume #28                Tue, 12 Jun 01 04:13:01 EDT

Contents:
  Re: How to change font size in netscape 4.75? (Dances With Crows)
  Re: @Home setup SO SLOW (James Lee)
  Re: AC'97 sound chips on board - no sound in RedHat 7.0 (Michael Perry)
  NYC LOCAL: Tuesday 12 June 2001 The Linux Society: John van Vlaanderen on RAID
([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: installing rh 7.1 ("小小小")
  Re: DRI error (cross-posted) (viza)
  Re: rc.local file. ("Steven J. Hathaway")
  alternative apropos: anyone remember?? (bbum)
  Re: Problem creating VFAT filesystem (Lew Pitcher)
  Re: Problems using RH 7.1 with SiS 530 Graphics Card (James Richard Tyrer)
  Re: Getting Plan 9 kernel source ("Chen Wang")
  Writing an OS from scratch ("Chen Wang")
  Re: cronjob unreliable ? (Villy Kruse)
  Re: gnu parted? ("Eric")
  Re: time to switch to lpRNG? (Villy Kruse)
  Re: Writing an OS from scratch ("Peet Grobler")
  Re: Operating System Not Found - Please Help (Thomas Corriher)
  Re: root pop-up (Thomas Corriher)
  Re: root password problem (Thomas Corriher)
  Re: alternative apropos: anyone remember?? (Frank Ranner)
  Agenda PDA (Giorgio Marzano)
  Re: Writing an OS from scratch ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: How to change font size in netscape 4.75?
Date: 12 Jun 2001 04:14:55 GMT

On Tue, 12 Jun 2001 03:33:50 GMT, James Lee staggered into the Black Sun
and said:
>I am having very difficult time with changing the font size on the
>Netscape 4.75.  I am running mandrake 7.2 and I am unable to change the
>font.
>
>Here is how I am changing the font size
>
>1)  goto drop down menu "Edit"
>2)  choose "Preference"
>3)  When a window pops up, goto "Appearance" then change the font.
>
>For some reason, the  font is not evenly changed.  Some texts appear big
>and some are unchanged.  I am having very difficult time reading it.

That's because Netscape is taking font size information from the page
you're viewing.  You can get rid of this problem by checking the box
that says "Always use my fonts" which helps a lot, since many luser Web
designers think everyone is running I.Exploder on an 800x600 screen,
where Flyspeck 3 is kind of small and Times 14 looks ungodly huge.

Konqueror has a much more elegant solution:  You can specify a "Minimum
Font Size" and no text will ever be smaller than that no matter what
games the Web designer lusers play with "<font size=-42>".  There should
be a way to do that in Mozilla, too, but I haven't found it yet.  BTW,
Konqueror and Mozilla beat the @#$% out of Netscape in terms of page
rendering speed.  Try them out; you'll be glad you did.

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /  Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best
http://www.brainbench.com     /   friend.  Inside of a dog, it's too dark
=============================/    to read.  ==Groucho Marx

------------------------------

From: James Lee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: @Home setup SO SLOW
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 04:17:34 GMT

add dhcpcd -h cr123456-a at the last line of file /etc/rc.local
it simply works.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Michael Perry)
Subject: Re: AC'97 sound chips on board - no sound in RedHat 7.0
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 04:35:19 -0000

On Thu, 7 Jun 2001 17:41:36 -0500, Jerry Kreps <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Wayne Osborn wrote:
>
>> In article <9flnok$v1j$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Wilson Ng"
>> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > My on-board sound chip VIA AC97 audio controller (WDM) works fine
>> > with
>> > WinME.  I tried to run sndconfig to enable the sound in my Linux
>> > installation in RedHat 7.0. The program detected that the sound
>> > device is VIA82cxxx. After I confirm the autoprobe was done and my
>> > system hangs. I rebooted Linux and the startup freeze when
>> > starting the sound module.
>> >
>> > Any body can help?
>> >
>> > Thanks, Wilson.
>> >

>> I had the very same trouble with my EPoX 8KTA3. In the bios, you
>> have to turn on "Onboard Legacy Audio" AND "SoundBlaster".
>>
>> /etc/modules.conf is as follows:
>>
>> alias sound-slot-0 via82cxxx
>> options sb support=1
>>
>> Now I still have a problem, the audio output level is very low,
>> expecially CD (hardly audible) even with the mixer set to
>> "eleven"...
>>
>> Will try the Alsa driver as recommended by Bill Piety - cheers!
>>

> I had the same chipset on my Athlon and finally turned it off and
> plugged in an SB Live card.  The I got a driver from 4Front (OSS) and
> my sound is now awesome!
> JLK

Take some care with athlon chipsets like the KT133 and soundblaster live
pci cards.  I went down a rather long road with athlons recently and started
reading a lot of the information presented on the kernel development mailing
list around certain VIA chipsets which include the KT133.  The main thing
here is that they seem to have some interaction with SBlive pci cards and
even VIA hardware has acknowledged this and released patches.

The main thing I learned is in a thread on hdparm in comp.os.linux.setup but
after spending some days on it, one should tred carefully I think IF you
have an athlon with the VIA chipset and an SBlive card.  Also read the
forums that VIahardware.com present on their site.  There is a lot of
information on interactions between SBlive pci cards and VIA chipsets.
One should also read the kernel lists or search on via and corruption in
google and see what was said about this as late as April this year.

If you don't have a VIA-based motherboard on the Athlon, my apologies for
this intrusion.  Both of my athlon systems have VIA southbridge KT133
chipsets.  Thankfully SuSE Labs have released a VIA ide driver which seems
to address the needs of those folks wanting to run ide drives in udma.  If
you use hdparm, you should definitely read the kernel mailing lists.

--
Michael Perry
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Subject: NYC LOCAL: Tuesday 12 June 2001 The Linux Society: John van Vlaanderen on RAID
Date: 12 Jun 2001 00:42:52 -0400

  edit-level="light">

                      http://www.thelinuxsociety.org
             What:    The Linux Society General Meeting
             When:    Tuesday, June 12, 2001 at 6:15 pm (sharp!) to 8:30 pm
             Where:   The NYPC Office
                      Room 1560, floor 15
                      The New Yorker Hotel,
                      481 Eighth Avenue (at 34th Street)
                      Manhattan,  New York City
             Speaker: John van Vlaanderen
             Topic:   Introduction to RAID
                      (Redundant Array of Inexpensive Drives)

                   John van Vlaanderen will speak about one
                   of the most popular storage technologies
                   of today and its applicability under GNU/Linux.

                      ==================================

                            The Linux Society (TM)
                         http://www.thelinuxsociety.org
                  is a SIG of NYPC (http://www.nypc.org)
                  meeting monthly in mid-town Manhattan.
                  We hold a General Meeting each month on a topic of
                  interest to new or experienced LINUX users.
                  We also have a Linux Study Group in progress,
                  meeting two evenings each month
                  All our meetings are free and open to all.
                  For more information please check our web site
                  or send an email to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

            Stefan Mashkevich

            Public Relations, The Linux Society

Distributed poC TINC:

Jay Sulzberger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Corresponding Secretary LXNY
http://www.lxny.org

------------------------------

From: "小小小" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: installing rh 7.1
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 12:48:56 +0800

I had similar problem too.  My computer hang at the point of "moving install
image to hard drive" for severl times while I tried to Install RH7.1.
However, my problem was the cooling fan of CPU went out.  I guess the CPU
was overheated after you ran it a while. I replaced the cooling fan, and
everthing's OK!  This might not be the same case, but won't harm to check?

However,
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 撰寫於郵件 news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (viza)
Subject: Re: DRI error (cross-posted)
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 05:08:21 GMT

Thus quoth "Helge Hoel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> :
>First I have to say that this
>message was crossposted to "comp.os.linux.misc, 3dfx.glide.linux,
>3dfx.products.voodoo3" I dont know which of the groups that's most
>correct, but you can send your answers to the most appropriate.
>
>I have recently installed slackware-current,
I smell penguins.  not likely to get much help here (3pv3)
but here's a link:

http://www.linuxvoodoo.org/

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 22:15:41 -0700
From: "Steven J. Hathaway" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: rc.local file.

Each Linux distribution has its own recommendations and scripts to manage
the
startup/shutdown sequences.  The file "rc.local" may not even be a viable
option
on your machine unless you either have documented support from the
distributor,
or roll-your-own support from your own design.  I've done all of the above
and
noted many differences between distributions:

    Red Hat, Mandrake, TurboLinux, Caldera, Debian, Slackware, and Linux
>From Scratch.

Steven J. Hathaway

=========================

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (bbum)
Subject: alternative apropos: anyone remember??
Date: 11 Jun 2001 22:21:44 -0700

Maybe ten or so years ago, I remember-- vaguely, maybe it was a
dream?-- something that generated apropos style output of the man
database, but with a slight twist.

In particular, if you said '<<foo>> directory', it would produce a
listing of all man pages that had 'directory' in their summary.  But
the keyword 'directory' would be vertically aligned.

Or something like that.

Obviously, <<foo>> would be replaced with the name of the program I
can't remember.

Anyone have a recollection of such a tool, what its name is, and where
I might find it? (Or, for that matter, any other useful tools for
viewing man pages in an alternative, but useful, fashion??)

thanks,
b.bum

From: Lew Pitcher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Problem creating VFAT filesystem
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 05:43:57 GMT

Martin Lichtin wrote:

> Anyone know what the problem could be here?

Yes, you're trying to make a file system on a non-writable device.
/dev/scd1 is your CDROM drive.

> root# mkfs.msdos -F 32 -I /dev/scd1
> mkfs.msdos: unable to get drive geometry for '/dev/scd1'
> mkfs.msdos 2.2 (06 Jul 1999)

Anyway, this isn't the way to make a filesystem on a writable CD.

--
Lew Pitcher

Master Codewright and JOAT-in-training
Registered Linux User #112576

------------------------------

From: James Richard Tyrer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.redhat,comp.os.linux.x,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Problems using RH 7.1 with SiS 530 Graphics Card
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 06:43:24 GMT

Chris Nappin wrote:

> I'm having trouble getting Red Hat 7.1 (XFree86 v4.0.3-5) to work with
> my graphics card - an SiS 530 (8MB shared RAM). It supports up to
> 1024x768 at 16-bits, but I've not been able to get it to work at any
> resolution or bit depth: the screen is corrupted and not legible -
> with random black lines and interference flickering accross the
> screen.
>
> I know that there is no hardware problem, because it works in Win98.
> And previously the card worked fine under Corel Linux and Mandrake
> versions 7.0 and 7.1 (which use XFree 86 v3.x). I've tried setting the
> card to 4MB and 8MB, tried all supported resolutions and bit depths,
> and tried using the "sis" and default drivers. I've been trying to
> sort this out for several days now, and would really appreciate some
> help.

Have you tried running the command: "xf86config" on the console as root?

This lists your card as #465 on the version I have.  Your list might be
slightly different.

JRT

------------------------------

From: "Chen Wang" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Getting Plan 9 kernel source
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 00:02:28 -0700

That distribution link allowed me either to install plan9 on a machine and
get the
rest of the source, or download the source in .9gz format, which I couldn't
find
a linux ultility to extract from...

I was hoping for a tar.gz file somewhere that contains the src and docs for
the os
itself.

-Chen

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Chen Wang" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Writing an OS from scratch
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 00:10:25 -0700

Hi all, I am an OS newbie currently looking to write a small os from
scratch, in an
attempt to learn and apply the os concepts I've learned in class. This would
1.
satisfy my great curiosity to what really goes under the hood, and 2 help me
see how given a piece of hardware (a computer, a router, a pda and etc), one
goes about putting the basic layer of software upon it (so application
programmers
can make a lot of money writing nice and oo code).

So far I haven't found any definitive guide on starting something like this,
does anyone
know where I can find some HOWTO docs/books that start with the basic
concepts?
Given I've know a thing or two about OS concepts on paper, it's a bit
frustrating
when I really do not understand how it works in practice!

thanks,

-Chen

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Villy Kruse)
Subject: Re: cronjob unreliable ?
Date: 12 Jun 2001 07:13:37 GMT

On Mon, 11 Jun 2001 11:11:08 -0500, Michael Lee Yohe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> i edited my /etc/crontab to have a program
>> running automatically every 10 minutes, but
>> obviously it is not working for me. the
>> entries look like this :
>>
>> 00 * * * *    /sbin/jobrunner --option commandlinearg
>> 10 * * * *    /sbin/jobrunner --option commandlinearg
>> 20 * * * *    /sbin/jobrunner --option commandlinearg
>
>If you are running a modern (not ancient) version of cron, then you
>should be able to specify the clean way of saying "every" 10 minutes -
>
>*/10 * * * * /sbin/jobrunner <etc>...

The clasical method is:

0,10,20,30,40,50 * * * * /sbin/jobrunner <etc>...

But that should not make any difference, though

However, for /etc/crontab you add the user name before the command:

0,10,20,30,40,50 * * * * root /sbin/jobrunner <etc>...

or

*/10 * * * * root /sbin/jobrunner <etc>...

Using crontab -e is better IMHO and it would put the entry into the
crontab files found in the /var directory (this format is without
the user name).

Villy

------------------------------

From: "Eric" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: gnu parted?
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 09:15:10 +0200

> I tried nparted.  It wasn't very useful at all.  I was hoping
> that it might be similar to partition magic, but probably not as
> refined. Parted seems to destroy any data in the partitions.
> That doesn't seem any better than fdisk.  I'm confused.

NO parted does not destroy data. It's a non-destructive
partition resizer (Indeed like PM).
If data is destroyed, you destroyed it.
(I didn't bother to look at nparted, so I don't know if it's just a
front-end)

Eric

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Villy Kruse)
Subject: Re: time to switch to lpRNG?
Date: 12 Jun 2001 07:20:10 GMT

On 11 Jun 2001 15:25:26 GMT,
     Christoph Kukulies <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Redhat (6.1) lpd printing has always been troublesome here on me.
>lpd_tmp files were cumulating in the spool directories. queues stopped
>working. clients and servers didn't match. With some patches silently
>lpRNG was introduced changing the user interface to commands like
>lpq and such (users started complaining that the queue status wan't displayed
>any longer). lpd being not very safe lpRNG made things worse.
>So I was hesistant for a while to use lpRNG.

RH6.1 lpr is broken, RH6.2 is better.  A vanilla version from BSD might
even be better as it doesn't contain the "fixes" that broke lpr on
RH systems.  Unfortunately you can't see what these fixes were as
there is no pristine lpr version included with the source rpm package
and no indication where RedHat got the lpr source originaly.  It could
have been some one else's fixes that broke it.

Villy

------------------------------

From: "Peet Grobler" <peetgr at absa.co.za>
Subject: Re: Writing an OS from scratch
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 09:34:08 +0200

I've done the same a few years back. There's no actual documentation to
state start with this, then this, then this, etc.

You have to figure out for yourself what's the most important. E.g. start
with the boot sector. This will lead you to choose a filesystem type. Once
you have the bootloader working, work on the "IPL", the program that your
boot sector will load then execute. That will lead to many more things
(memory maps, interrupts, etc.) Once that's finished, do a command
interpreter. Then any additional utilities you'd like to include. (e.g. Text
editor, etc.)

HTH,
Peet

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Thomas Corriher)
Subject: Re: Operating System Not Found - Please Help
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 07:51:45 GMT

On 7 Jun 2001 06:00:46 -0700, Craig <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Everything was working fine for a couple of weeks, using LILO to boot
>to both Win98 and RH. Then one day, I was working in Win98, left the
>computer alone overnight, came back and it was completely frozen, not
>responding to anything (thank MSFT...) so I shut it down using the
>power off. When I tried to restart I received the message above,
>Operating System Not Found.

I can tell you that it is one of two possibilities, and both of
them are very bad.

1) Boot sector virus that probably destroyed the MBR and corrupted
command.com (reason for lock-up).  Thanks to the innovations of
Microsoft, you can get viruses that were written fifteen years ago.
That says a lot for Microsoft quality and security, doesn't it?

2) The drive or the controller for the drive on the motherboard has
hardware damage.  You can probably realize that this case is bad
without any explanation.

If it were my machine, I would try to wipe the entire drive clean
with write protected boot floppies, or with a bootable CD.  If
you are infected, then the machine may continue reinfecting itself
from other randomly infected programs.  This is one of the many
reasons why it is a mistake to consider security to be just an add
in "feature" (ie. with third party scanners).  If you don't have
a known clean and write protected boot floppy, then make one at
a computer you know is clean.  To completely clean the entire
drive, you will probably need to erase the Linux partitions first
using the Linux version of FDisk.  Microsoft's FDisk can not
touch or properly see a standard Linux ext2fs partition.

I made the transition to Linux after I got hit by a virus for
the second time.  I finally snapped and said to myself: "I can't
take it anymore!"  I guess I was overwhelmed by the "Innovative
Features".  I just can't believe that people still pay money
for that junk.

--
  From the desk of Thomas Corriher

  The real email address is:
  tcorriher at earthlink.
  net

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Thomas Corriher)
Subject: Re: root pop-up
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 07:51:50 GMT

On Fri, 08 Jun 2001 00:37:44 GMT, Charles P Koerner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>Used to be whenever I could only get something done as "root" I got a
>pop-up saying this must be done as root only and it gave me a means to
>put roots pssword in.
>
>Now this feature is gone.
>
>Anyone know about this and how I can get it back?

You can use SUDO to do stuff with root power.  You are probably
using Red Hat's version.  They patched some stuff up in their
"imwheel" package that formerly allowed users to do some things
that normally require root power.  Do not be stupid enough to
downgrade to get it back.  It would be foolish to remove the new
security for the sake of your convenience.

I could be wrong about "imwheel" being the problem.  I am tired,
and doing this from memory.  If this happened after you upgraded
then I am probably right.

--
  From the desk of Thomas Corriher

  The real email address is:
  tcorriher at earthlink.
  net

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Thomas Corriher)
Subject: Re: root password problem
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 07:51:58 GMT

On Thu, 07 Jun 2001 13:09:52 GMT, Peter T. Breuer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 wrote:
>Richard Kimber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> bot403 wrote:
>
>>> Why would you do everythign as root anyways? Its a bad idea to always use
>>> root. I keep a normal user around and only use root when i have to. Its
>>> good security and
>>> linux common sense. Trust me ive done some pretty stupid stuff as root.
>
>> I'm always a bit puzzled when people give the impression that one can avoid
>
>Then perhaps you should realize that you are missing something!
>
>> using root all the time.  The way my machine is set up I always have to use
>> root: to bring the eth0 interface up and down, install new software, run
>
>No you don't. Use sudo for all that.
>
>> various security checks, update software, do backups, and tweak the system
>> in various ways.
>
>sudo.
>
>> Perhaps I'm doing things wrongly.
>
>Indeed you are.
>
>Peter

Peter, there is no justification for you to act like an arrogant ass.

--
  From the desk of Thomas Corriher

  The real email address is:
  tcorriher at earthlink.
  net

------------------------------

From: Frank Ranner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: alternative apropos: anyone remember??
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 17:51:52 +1000

bbum wrote:

> Maybe ten or so years ago, I remember-- vaguely, maybe it was a
> dream?-- something that generated apropos style output of the man
> database, but with a slight twist.
>
> In particular, if you said '<<foo>> directory', it would produce a
> listing of all man pages that had 'directory' in their summary.  But
> the keyword 'directory' would be vertically aligned.
>
> Or something like that.
>
> Obviously, <<foo>> would be replaced with the name of the program I
> can't remember.
>
> Anyone have a recollection of such a tool, what its name is, and where
> I might find it? (Or, for that matter, any other useful tools for
> viewing man pages in an alternative, but useful, fashion??)
>
> thanks,
> b.bum
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 man ptx

Frank

------------------------------

From: Giorgio Marzano <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Agenda PDA
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 10:07:22 +0200

Hi, all!

I am thinking about buying an agenda PDA, it looks a really beautyful
toy, and supported by a good community of developers, but...

1) Agenda site states it has 16M Ram + 16M Flash Rom, more than one guy
told me it only has 8+16...
2) I can't find my country (italy) on the registration page during the
buying process...
3) I Wrote to the customer service but i can't get an answer...

... it doesn't look to me so serious!!

Anyone here  having some experience with them?? And with the PDA??

TIA

Giorgio Marzano

->    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
->   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
-> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: 12 Jun 2001 08:08:18 GMT

Chen Wang <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi all, I am an OS newbie currently looking to write a small os from
> scratch, in an attempt to learn and apply the os concepts I've\
> learned in class.

See the Kernel-Internals-HOWTO and other kernel-related documents
on www.linuxdoc.org.
There is also a wonderfull book about writing device drivers for
Linux that can be usefull to understand how the kernel load/use
the device drivers, I don't remember the title but you can found
it on O'Reilly web site.

Davide