On Sat, 2002-01-12 at 19:22, Keith Antoine wrote:
> On Sun, 13 Jan 2002 10:46,Ralph Sanford scribed:
> > Assuming SuSE 7.3, the following is a GUI suggestion.  Use Yast2  ->
> > Hardware  ->  hardware info  ->  CDROM.  This shows the NAME of the
> > device (no guessing required) and the sr? value.  Then link the /dev/sr?
> > to whatever /dev/dvd.
> >
> > Then in fstab you can have
> > /dev/dvd   /media/dvd   iso9660 ro,noauto,user,exec 0 0
> >
> > Using SuSE 7.3 this is what I did last night to get my dvd and
> > cdrecorder straightened around.  Until the links were correct the info
> > in fstab had no effect on my system.
> >
> > Hope this helps.
>
> Unless the kernel is recognising the dvd as a scsi device all the above will
> not work. It is Suse and I do not have a high opinion of it either so far.
> I do not like using yast2, as I have been using the manual configuring of cd
> devices since 96, I think and thats always been reliable. Not now with Suse
> 7.3 as does kernel recompiles so Suse spits the dummy. BTW srx is now not used
> and will disappear from /dev eventually scdx is the rcognised device. I also
> can see that Suse has not got that far as yet either.
>
> --
> Keith Antoine aka 'skippy'
> 18 Arkana St, The Gap, Queensland 4061 Australia PH:61733002161
> Retired Geriatric, Sometime Electronics Engineer, Knowall, Brain in storage

Using SuSE 7.3 and the stock kernel the system I described did work,
within the last day.  After adding a new scsi dvd as scsi id 0 on a
chain that already had scsi id 4 and 5 in use, it had became almost
impossible to use the cdrom, dvd, cdrw.  Fstab had been set for all the
devices but still no joy.  By issuing:

rm /dev/[each cd device]

ln -s /dev/sr[?] /dev/[each cd device]

The cdrom, dvd, cdrw now all work.  In the last day I have burned CDs,
transferred data, added SuSE packages to the computer from the SuSE CD.
It does not matter if it was supposed to work or not, my computer now
works the way I want it to and that is what is important.

Yast2 was used to find information, not to make any modifications to the
system.  The information provided by Yast2 ensured that links were done
right the first time.  As an end user I want the system to work
regardless of whether the fix is elegant, graphical or punch cards.

--
Ralph Sanford       -       If your government does not trust you,
[EMAIL PROTECTED]   -   should you trust your government?

DH/DSS Key   -   0x7A1BEA01