On Sun, 13 Jan 2002 20:40,Mike Andrew scribed:

First up thanks for the very in depth reply

> Keith you did not mention *what* new dvd you are using. Is it scsi, or is
> it ide?

Actually its not 'new' but one I have had for a while. Under Suse 7.3 it is
not 'seen' as a scsi device, wasn't the first time I used Suse and not now
either. However it was seen a s scsi device under Mandrake. Each and every
distro has its weaknesses and its strengths. I would seem to me at this
present time that Suse is weak here also in networking (intenet access
sharing) and recompiling kernels.

> If it's ide, you need an *additional* append statement.

Ok I have that as follows:
image  = /boot/vmlinuz
  label  = linux
  root   = /dev/hdc8
  initrd = /boot/initrd
  append = "enableapic vga=0x0317 hdb=ide-scsi hdd=ide-scsi"
Where hdc is seen as a scsi device and is seen by cdrecord --scanbus.

> regardless, and especially if it's scsi, here's what you need to know
>
> the scsi name handler is Shozbot. It assigns numbers on a 1st come, 1st
> served basis. NOT on the more practical /dev/hdd can only be /dev/hdd.

Shozbot! Was this written by a Batman Fan ?

> There is in fact an append statement you can use that locks each scdX
> number, but it's a tuffie, and frankly, bloody stupid.

agreed

> What this means is, as you add scsi devices to your system (whether via
> ide-scsi, or genuine) the names are MOST LIKELY to change.
>
> It all depends on which gets loaded / detected / mounted first.
>
> IF say you attach a new scsi cd with a lower lun number, then it will
> become scd0 and undo all the hardwork in /etc/fstab. Meaning? Whatever you
> did and mounted and tweaked as /dev/scd0 is no longer the device you're
> thinking it is.

Yes noticed that a while ago, having had them 'swapped' over.

> Second, most distros only supply /dev/scd0 and /dev/scd1. You will have to
> mknod /dev/scd2 yourself.

Umm, thats something that I do not have a handle on. For if I do, at the
moment call scd1 or even sr1 it tells me the device is unknown. Hence my
assumption that the device is not being 'setup' due to not being seen as a
scsi device on boot.

> The detection in /var/log/messages is unreliable. The device(s) don't
> actually become registered until the cdrom.o module gets loaded. You can't
> glean enuff info from ~messages at the time you looked at it.

Ok, but I have always relied on dmesg, now you have deflated my
balloon........... Geez you just have the knack!!

--
Keith Antoine aka 'skippy'
18 Arkana St, The Gap, Queensland 4061 Australia PH:61733002161