On Sun, 13 Jan 2002 19:45, Keith Antoine wrote:

> Ralph you did not address my main point, that is its not being seen on boot
> as a scsi device. The cdrecordrer is as I pointed out in the first mesage,

[snip]

Keith you did not mention *what* new dvd you are using. Is it scsi, or is it
ide?

If it's ide, you need an *additional* append statement.

regardless, and especially if it's scsi, here's what you need to know

the scsi name handler is Shozbot. It assigns numbers on a 1st come, 1st
served basis. NOT on the more practical /dev/hdd can only be /dev/hdd.

There is in fact an append statement you can use that locks each scdX number,
but it's a tuffie, and frankly, bloody stupid.

What this means is, as you add scsi devices to your system (whether via
ide-scsi, or genuine) the names are MOST LIKELY to change.

It all depends on which gets loaded / detected / mounted first.

IF say you attach a new scsi cd with a lower lun number, then it will become
scd0 and undo all the hardwork in /etc/fstab. Meaning? Whatever you did and
mounted and tweaked as /dev/scd0 is no longer the device you're thinking it
is.

Second, most distros only supply /dev/scd0 and /dev/scd1. You will have to
mknod /dev/scd2 yourself.

The detection in /var/log/messages is unreliable. The device(s) don't
actually become registered until the cdrom.o module gets loaded. You can't
glean enuff info from ~messages at the time you looked at it.