Well, I would not recommend plain text for that.  Just like you cannot
switch between Roman and Fraktur in plain text.

> I prefer 'language tag' solution, though it is complex like ISO-2022.
> It seems the only way that plain text itself can have information on
> the text.  (Plain text should have information on _character_, not
> _glyph_.

> For CJK people, difference between unified variants is
> regarded as difference of _characters_, not _glyph_.)

Not according to the East Asian experts on Han ideographs.

> Do you have any idea other than 'language tag'?

I would suggest using HTML text with language tags as per HTML 4
(font switching based on (HTML) language tag for Japanese/Chinese is
already available in popular (non-Linux...) browsers), or XHTML 1.0.

The "LANGUAGE TAG" 'characters' recently allocated (in 10646-2)
should never be used with HTML (or any XML based document),
and can (indeed should) be ignored or even filtered away
anywhere they occur.

                /kent k
-