This is not undisputed.  Quotes of Chinese text in an otherwise
Japanese text are often, I'm told, all set in a Japanese font.

>  which should be the
> default font, Chinese or Japanese, for "world version" OSes?

This is like asking "Which should be the default font: one that covers
MES-2 only" (MES-2 is a subset of 10646, covering many, but not all,
Latin letters), "or should we use a Devanagari one?".  Or like asking
"which should be the default (initial) keyboard, a Swedish one, or a Persian
one?".  If you say "an English one", I'd object, since my keyboard is a
Swedish one, and does not fit well with an English or US key mapping.

> # your sentence has odd character at the end.  it may be european
> # local encoding so-called ISO-8859-1...

All messages I send have a 'charset'-declaration, and the content is
encoded according to that declaration.  This particular message
is labelled to be Shift-JIS (though I often use Latin-1; my default is
UTF-8;
I can change on a per-message basis).

[here's a Hiragana n: ‚ñ, which may turn out strange for those that cannot
interpret Shift-JIS, or don't have a Hiragana font, or have a mail client
that
does not handle QP or BASE64.]

                Kind regards
                /kent k