Richard Ramos wrote:
> thinking about though - given the names of both the mecha and the
characters...I feel a sort of political/philosophical/religious thing
going on here. Also...well, if it is true that the director is from
FMA...the Exia looks like it can mount its blades on its forearms...how
very Elric-ian!

Well if you look at FMA, historical and especially, esoteric names and
references weren't used casually.  This is very different from Gundam
and NGE standards.  G used ethnic and historical references for
comical effect.  W used astrological names and the numbers 1 to 5
almost randomly.  NGE used deep Judo-Christian myths and references as
punishment for watching the show (remember back then there wasn't a
Wikipedia yet).  But FMA made it rewarding to read up on alchemy and
other historical concepts.  So that makes it very intriguing in the
case of G00, to say the least.

On the other hand, the textual write-up (both from Gunota-translated
official web site and Manichi article) suggest a very materialistic
and uninspired setting.  Trio of superpowers along current day
geopolitical divisions, a nearly Marxist focus on controlling the
means of production (of solar power).

But then... has any pre-launch write-up been exciting and/or
predictive of the series' favor?  Perhaps not, perhaps even First
Gundam's pre-launch write-up, on its own, was as uninspiring as G00's
is.

I have said on many occasions "no reputable anime creator would ever
want to take over Gundam", now I am eating my words.  I can see
negatives in every single aspects of G00 but I still have to give the
FMA director benefit of the doubt.  Combining Mizushima's talent with
the Gundam brand, it would be a huge disappointment if G00 doesn't get
"hit" status by episode 15.

--
Dr. Core