I prefer the original Mobile Suit Gundam's view of Gundams as a series of
one type of super suit vs. the Gundam Wing style of one each of a handful of
very different Gundams.  The series of one type has more of a feel of
realism to me, like maybe they can only afford to build a small number of
them but they will be built in a factory and therefore look/be the same,
barring mid-series improvements.  Like aircraft carriers or battleships in
WWII.

Well technically they would've had three if Char's goons hadn't attacked...

I agree with you though about having too many Gundams in a series.  I would
rather have one to two really interesting Gundam designs in a series then
have a multitude of mediocre ones like Seed had.