On Wed, 28 Mar 2001, you wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 28, 2001 at 08:08:00PM +0100, Robin Szemeti wrote:
> > On Wed, 28 Mar 2001, Paul Makepeace wrote:
> > > Can Perl do distributed database transactions?
> >
> > probably .. simple multi threaded app, fork a few child processes,
> > establish the odd DBI connection, execute a query each return when the
> > last child is reaped ... 100 lines?
>
> I think the key word in Paul's question was "transactions".
> In other words, you have more than one database, possibly
> in different physical (and network) locations, and you need
> to perform a transaction - an _atomic_ transaction - across
> several of them.

oh _that_ transaction .. oops .. with MySQL not doing proper transactions
by default, I keep forgetting they exist :)

again, you could do it ..  but granted it would be a non-trivial
task. If thats sooper easy in Java then I have learnt someting and today
wasn't wasted after all ... :)

(my pseudo-transaction scheme for MySQL is basically : .. do this and
return a closure to undo it if I to .. bung the closures in an array ..
if something screws up then back it all off by walking along the array
and executing the closures ... its not rocket science but it works ..
sort of .. I used it for doing multiple inserts into a spread of tables
... the lack of row level locking is whats a real pain .. you have to
lock all the tables, which is Bad Karma if they are in an even moderately
loaded system)

--
Robin Szemeti

The box said "requires windows 95 or better"
So I installed Linux!