> Right, well there's the difference then. I'm 29 this year and I was
schooled
> during the seventies. Was anyone else of a similar age *not* taught proper
> punctuation and grammar at school? Back in those days, teachers actually
> taught you, as opposed to writing long essays to justify
performance-related
> bonuses, or running around like headless chickens to prepare for OFSTED
> visits.

Quite. I'm 35 and was given a good basic education at Primary school of the
english language, together most of it's idyosyncrasies. I was lucky enough
to go to a Grammar (when there were still such things) so probably faired
better than most.

> They went on strike quite a lot back then, too.

Living in the wilds of Cheshire we had regular blackouts. The local candle
factory did a roaring trade back then.

> Anyway, back to the point. Many of my peers and friends who were taught
> exactly the same punctuation stuff as me just ignored it and used things
> like "could'nt" and "samwich's" and so on. I reckon it's less to do with
it
> being taight in schools and more to do with how much someone reads. If you
> read a lot, you see the correct forms a lot and it sinks in. Similarly
with
> grammar, I reckon, although I have absolutely zero evidence to back that
up.

Personally I think it stems from laziness. There are too many hip and trendy
words slipping into our regular vocabulary these days, that even TV
presenters are falling foul of correct english. Not a good example to the
kids me thinks (says he now a responsible father of 5 months..... okay
forget the responsible part).

<RANT>
My other half was a Reception teacher and the farce they went through with
OFSTED was beyond belief. Then the actual report was even worse, all wrapped
up in management BS that can destroy a career after only ever having seen
one 30 minute lesson.
</RANT>

Barbie.

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED] [my new home....for now]