Robin Szemeti <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> I think it likely that the licence fee will go. It would be a popular
> move with the Great Unwashed. ( who seem happy to spend 400 quid a year
> on a Sky subscription ), so I can see the BBC being released from its
> licence fee. This would have huge knock-ons in the commercial TV world.
> The advertising cake is only so big, if the BBC suddenly started taking
> adverts then I doubt many of the commercial stations would appreciate the
> 50% drop in revenue. Assuming the BBC could decure 50% of the current TV
> advertising cake they would be significantly better off than they are
> now.
>
> Personally I would rather pay a licence fee and have a (largely)
> independent public service broadcaster than yet another commercial
> station that can't say various things in case it upsets a major
> advertiser. YMMV

I'd be happy to pay a £400/year voluntary sub for a BBC with no
adverts during programs. I'd probably be prepared to put up with
adverts between programs a la FilmFour. But if they ever start running
ads on Radio 4 then they can whistle for my money.

But for that they're going to have to stop producing so much crap. I
want more stuff of the quality of Clocking Off and Walk On By, and
less of the vets in kitchens making your home look horrible cheap
shit.

--
Piers, who can't remember the last time he watched anything on ITV.