On Thu, Apr 19, 2001 at 12:33:59PM +0100, David Cantrell wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 19, 2001 at 12:06:02PM +0100, Greg McCarroll wrote:
>
> > hard to say [BBC channels] are normally given free if you subscribe to one
> > premier channel
>
> If your telly has a built-in digital decoder, then the BBC channels will
> be free, and you won't need cable or a satellite dish.
>
> IANABBCE and IANADTVE

.... but possibly not by the time the whole UK has gone digital ....

Don't be suprised if by then the abolishment of the licence fee hasn't been
announced and that the BBC hasn't announced subscription charges for it's
services. Better that than the Beeb starts carrying ads.

The BBC are definitely working towards the licence fee being withdrawn at some
point by some government (hence all the curfuffle over ads on bbc.com), so
alternative forms of financing will need to be sort.

The above is of course conjecture on my part (I'm not Greg Dyke) but is based
on knowledge gained during the BBC's recent acquisition of certain assets of
a certain dot.com. :-)

How this would work with radio I have no idea.

Neil.