   From: Martyn Hodgson <hodgsonmar...@mail.cs.dartmouth.edu>
   Date: 12/22/19 3:10 AM (GMT-07:00)
   To: lute@cs.dartmouth.edu, "Frank A. Gerbode, M.D." <sa...@gerbode.net>
   Subject: [LUTE] Re: modern lute editions

      Dear Frank,
           As written earlier (pasted below) in a thread regarding modern
      settings of perfectly readable engraved tablature (Pierre Gautier
      1638), I generally prefer to read from an original source where
      reasonably legible since I believe this gives a better insight into
      the
      scribe's and/or collector's intentions than a modern uniform
   tablature
      version reflecting a modern editor's own preferences.
           Indeed many original sources (especially later) frequently seem
      easier to read than those where an enforced invariable spacing is
      employed.. As said, this shouldn't, of course, preclude modern
      tablature editions where necessary for reasons of legilibity.
           The issues are rather different between MS and printed
   tablature
      with the latter, especially the earlier collections employing
   movable
      type also, by necessity, having a uniform style and where a
   resetting
      might offer some advantages. Although, even here, books like
      Borrono's 1548 collection and Francesco's collections for example
      seem to be models of clarity and a modern resetting seems
      unnecessary (any page tuns can easily be avoided with the
      photocopier!).
           Indeed, the difficulty of reading most early extant sources
   seems
      much exaggerated and perhaps we ought to be encouraging players
       to read from the original printed or MS versions.
      regards
      Martyn
             I generally much prefer a facsimile of the original print or
   MS
      and
        sometimes wonder how the recent desire to put things into a modern
        uniform tablature edition has gained ground. In particular, the
   use
      of
        hand or engraving allowed and allows a more flexible approach in
        spacing etc which can better suggest interpretation and, in my
   view,
        usually makes reading easier.
             Admittedly, with some originals the quality can be poor and
      difficult
        to read and, in these cases, I think a modern edition (employing
        tablature and spacings as close as possible to the original) is,
        indeed, perhaps the answer. However, collections such as that of
   1638
        by Pierre Gaultier Orleanois are, in my view, perfectly readable
   -
      my
        own photocopy of a microfilm print has a few background shadings
   but
        these could be cleaned up electronically I suspect to a condition
        closer to that when the collection was first printed.
             In short, players should feel encouraged to play direct from
      such
        rather than modern printed editions which impose a uniform and
        Procrustean style favoured by the modern editor.
        Martyn Hodgson

      ----
      On Sunday, 22 December 2019, 00:52:34 GMT, Frank A. Gerbode, M.D.