On 15 Jan 2001, Jean-Marc Lasgouttes wrote:

> John> how do strings fit in with the frontend menus ? Must I really
> John> have some extra store of integers (the menu ID tags from the GUI
> John> library) to strings ?
>
> The functions could be allocated a number when they are registered, or
> something like that [although I kind of prefer your scheme]
>
> JMarc

But the communication between the frontends and the kernel would still be
in terms of integers (otherwise I would have to lookup by integer, to get
a string, to do the Dispatch()).

IOW, it just doubles up the "naming scheme" for functions to little or no
benefit AFAICS. Note that the auto-gen source I wrote has a trivial thing
to allow lyx functions to be accessible by name (see the command name
thing, generated as "LFUN_MENU_OPEN" in the c-tors in auto-init.C).

But it is obviously not gaining favour as an approach, so...

john

--
"Threads are for people who can't program state machines."
        - Alan Cox