On Tue, Sep 15, 2015 at 02:50:46AM +0100, Guillaume Munch wrote:
> Le 14/09/2015 05:04, Scott Kostyshak a écrit :
> >>
> >>How do you find this link?
> >
> >Well, I just do [a and mutt copies it to my clipboard (I have a
> >script). I am guessing you could do the same with Thunderbird but I am
> >not familiar with it. You have a few options. You can just go here:
> >http://news.gmane.org/gmane.editors.lyx.devel
> >and wait a few minutes for the message to show up. Or you can ask
> >Thunderbird for the message ID of a certain email, and then use that.
> >For example, the email you just sent can be found with the message ID as
> >follows:
> >http://mid.gmane.org/mt5c67$o2k$1...@ger.gmane.org
> >If you put that link into the browser, you get the following URL:
> >http://article.gmane.org/gmane.editors.lyx.devel/156697
> >I actually prefer the mid.gmane link because it has the message ID in
> >the URL. That way, if mail-archive disappears or reindexes the messages
> >such that the direct URLs change, you can always just use the message ID
> >to find it on a different mail archiver (they have similar ways to
> >search by message ID) or we can search our mail box locally by message
> >ID. Even GMail web interface has a way to search by message ID. This
> >way, the thread can always be found.
> >
> >Scott
> >

> Thanks. I just noticed that there's a contextual menu entry to copy the
> message url. For yours I get the following:
> Is this a format that works for most people?

It is fine for me because it has the message ID but others probably
prefer an http link. You can turn the message ID into a link by the
following:
http://mid.gmane.org/20150914040426.ga13...@optiplex-9020.ad.ufl.edu

I should emphasize that the above thoughts are just my personal
preference. Many people do not care about keeping things so organized
and cross-referenced. I think they have better memories than I do.

Scott