>> I have similar questions, but almost no experience with child
>> documents. Ideally I would like to be able to first compile the
>> entire document, and then edit and compile a child document,
>> separately from the rest of the master document, but still see
>> citations and reference numbers as they will appear when the entire
>> document is compiled. Can LyX manage this? If not would this be a
>> reasonable enhancement request?
>
> Yes. Document > Settings > Child Document from the master, include only
> the desired child and click "Maintain counters and references". The
> master is printed as well, so it is advised to have a master that
> basically consists of inclusions of children only.
>
> Jürgen

I am sorry, but I do not understand this. First, I do:

>  Document > Settings > Child Document from the master, include only
> the desired child and click "Maintain counters and references”.

And save it. But if I (immediately) check again the setting is back to “Include
all children”. When I view the master document, I get the whole document
correctly.

Suppose I want to edit the included Chapter 2. I can right click on it in the
master, to open the LyX version of the included file, and make changes. Now I
would like to view those changes, with proper references, citations, and
numbering. “View master document” gives an error.  “Buffer-view pdf” does not
show the references, citations, and numbering.

Am I hoping for too much or am I doing something wrong?

Hal