I sorry, but I don't understand your answer completely. I want to give my
equations numbers, i.e. from (1.1), (1.2),.....to (3.3.) f. ex.. Is that the
purpose of the label function? If not, what function doe that?

To the first part of your answer. The equations I want to label are centered
and stand alone in their row. I centered them after writing them by using
the "paragraph settings".

To your answer Bob: I am using a mac book with Mach OS X  version
10.5.3.The version of LyX I am using is LyX/Mac
1.5.5.

Thank you again very much for your help.

Greetings,
Chris

--
Christopher Stowasser