Vincent van Ravesteijn wrote:

The best thing that I can think of in your case is that you have run into bug #5957: If you scale down an image with an odd number of rows to 50% (on screen), Qt4.5.0 would crash. I've used much larger eps graphics which didn't show your problem (on Windows).

Another problem on Linux is that KDE people created an eps plugin for Qt; this enables to visualize the eps graphics directly within LyX without any conversion to png. But this plugin has often been buggy and crashy in my experience. You can see if this plugin is used at the console output of LyX.

Abdel.