John McCabe-Dansted wrote:

Well they are in the Karmic repositories. Instructions on how to
upgrade qt4 (fairly) safely are at:

http://www.mail-archive.com/lyx-users@lists.lyx.org/msg74482.html

Scroll down past my instructions and follow Michael Gasper's clearer,
better instructions.

These instructions have worked for me and Michael without any files
being eaten. The main things to remember are to watch the upgrade to
make sure it it only upgrades qt4 related packages, and disable the
Karmic repository after you use it (so you don't accidentally upgrade
to Karmic next time you do updates).

Thanks. When time permits, I'll upgrade one of my two Ubuntu machines and, assuming the results are stable, move on to the other. Although I move at a pace nearly as glacial as the Ubuntu repository maintainers ... :-)