On 06/23/2011 12:45 PM, William Hanson wrote:
> OK, I now have the document I'm trying to open and convert on the
> Desktop, so there are no spaces in the path to it.
>
> When I open the document with LyX 1.6.7 I get the error message
> "Document class not available", and the further information that the
> file article.layout is not usable.  Proceeding with 1.6.7, the
> document comes up and can be modified, but when I try to convert it I
> get the error message "Couldn't export file".  (Yesterday at this
> point I got the error message "Cannot convert file  An error occurred
> whilst running phython -tt".  This message doesn't appear today.)
>
> It's surely noteworthy that until a few days ago I had been using LyX
> 1.6.7 without problems for about a year.  I don't know of any recent
> changes to the computer.
>
> When I open the document with LyX 2.0.0 I get the same error message,
> "Document class not available", and the further information that it
> wants me to install "article.cls".   Unfortunately I don't understand
> the information given there on how to install the package files.
> Proceeding with 2.0.0, the document comes up and can be modified, but
> when I try to convert it I get the error message "File name error",
> which says that the directory path to the document can't contain
> spaces.  This appears in spite of the fact that the document is now on
> the desktop.

The problem now seems to be that LyX hasn't found your LaTeX
installation. Can you please run Tools>Reconfigure, and then post the
configure.log file that will be dumped in your user directory? (See
Help>About LyX for where it is located.) Or did we already do that? I
can't remember.

Anyway, that is certainly the first problem.

Richard