Okay, this confirms that MiKTeX is correctly installed (still) and that it knows where the article class is located. The error messages you were getting about the article class not being available suggested a problem with MiKTeX -- either a borked installation or something knocking it off the command path -- because the article class is *always* installed with an LaTeX distribution.

Regarding the configuration logs someone (Richard?) asked for, where did you find the ones you posted? In particular, did you check in the local LyX folders? (On XP those should be C:\Documents and Settings\<your login id>\Application Data\..., where ... is either lyx, lyx16, lyx2 or something like that -- sadly, I no longer have access to an XP box to nail down the exact name.) In both LyX 1.6 and LyX 2.0, you can do Help > About LyX and look at the "User directory" entry (expanding ~ to C:\Documents and Settings\<you>\Application Data). You might want to confirm that 1.6 and 2.0 point to different user directories, and that both directories exist.

Just out of curiosity, can you View > DVI any of the LyX help files?

Sorry this process is taking so long, but nothing obvious comes to mind, and your symptoms seem to have changed a bit along the way. A working installation suddenly breaking sometimes happens when something unrelated to LyX screws with MiKTeX, but that does not seem to have happened to you.

Paul