On 25/01/13 05:20, Jerry wrote:

> Without doubt this is not perfect. As I said, I can't comment on equations
> and I did not worry
> about the captions. Have you tried LyX -> eLyXer -> pandoc as well?

> For my case (no crossreferences, no inseted references, but formating in the
> text (italic for
> species names) and only some pictures which I deleted anyway to reduce the
> size of the docx as
> I had to email it for further revisions it worked better and faster then any
> other solution.
>
> Have you tried to go ia LaTeX and pandoc?
>
>> Yes. I have commented on this recently.

Sorry - must have overlooked it.

>> LyX -> LaTeX (plain) -> docx using pandoc:
>
>> Word (Mac 2011) complains "This file is corrupt and cannot be opened." It
>> then offers to
>> repair the file. Results are: inline equation translated and editable but
>> with two minor
>> errors (it did not recognize lim as a function and set it in italics)--this
>> shows that
>> equation translation _can_ work; standalone equation not translated, TeX
>> code is displayed
>> between two $ signs, and equation number is lost; image caption is lost, but
>> the spurious
>> word "image" is displayed nearby; labels (section, equation) are set as
>> ordinary text within
>> their respective domains; cross-references are displayed as ordinary text
>> but with
>> nonexistent links; comments are displayed as normal text but in a separate
>> paragraph, thus
>> splitting the paragraph in which it is contained into two paragraphs; and
>> indexed terms are
>> lost.
>

>> LyX -> LaTeX (plain) -> odt using pandoc: Opened with LibreOffice. The file
>> is reported as
>> corrupt and the program offers to repair it. Results--similar to above for
>> Word except:
>> inline equation is very poorly typeset and is not editable using the
>> built-in equation
>> editor; instead of the picture that was supposed to be a figure, a box is
>> displayed which
>> reads "Read error"; the word "image" is not displayed; clicking on the
>> footnote cross
>> reference moves the cursor to the crossreference;
>

> I guess some manual fidelling will always be necessary, and for my document
> the fidelling
> required after pandoc was considerably less as after any other approach.
>
> Please keep us posted about any progress.
>
>> I'm afraid there won't likely be any more progress as I have spent a lot of
>> time on this
>> already, plus I have exhausted most of the obvious options. OTOH, if one
>> considers the
>> combinatorics of combining various options, I'm sure there are more options
>> than any one
>> person has time to try.

Conversion is a tricky business, and depending on your needs and expectations,
different paths
work (once of has different requirements then regular reviewing and commenting,
equations, graphs,
many cross-references, etc.).

>> Unless there is progress from other quarters in the meantime, I suppose when
>> the occasion
>> arises to make a conversion, I'll look into commercial options on Windows.

Do they work as expected and reliably?

>> As a Mac user, I can of course run Windows, but I don't relish the idea of
>> buying another
>> copy of Office, plus converter software for Windows. I don't mind paying for
>> commercial
>> software except Microsoft stuff which I find is generally of poor quality
>> (in fact, I often
>> prefer it) but the extra hassle of going this route, with still unknown
>> results, is not
>> appealing. I think I recall a Windows converter from LaTeX to Word where
>> there was also
>> offered a manual conversion of anything that their software did not convert,
>> for an
>> additional fee per megabyte over a certain level of file size. What a mess.

True - even though commercial, could you please report back if you find a
usable solution, as hee
are quite a few users fighting regul;arly with conversion issues.

>> Thanks for your suggestions.

Pleasure, sorry that they didn't help much,

Cheers,

Rainer